Sign in to follow this  
BRGuy

ohio state wrestle off

They had a good crowd for a set of October inter-squad matches on a Thursday night. I'd guess 1200-1500.

The team adopted a kid diagnosed with some form of childhood cancer. I think it was some form of lymphatic leukemia but the description got too long to follow.

There is a new team motto "WT3", Win The 3rd. At the beginning of the 3rd period they play the beginning of "Hell's Bells" which is supposed to make the crowd get behind the team.

They also want to get 15,000+ fans for the Iowa and Penn State duals and were pushing group ticket packages for high school teams of 10 or more. You can get down on the mats after the duals for photos and autographs with the team with these packages.

I noticed that Hunter Stieber was not voted team captain for the OSU wrestling squad. OSU's captains are: Logan Stieber, Nathan Tomasello, Kyle Snyder, and Bo Jordan. Interesting. One true freshman, two redshirt freshman, and 6th year senior Logan Stieber. I'd have thought Hunter would be a captain with his brother. As I understand it, team captains are chosen by a team vote.

Anyone know why Hunter didn't get enough votes to become captain?

Hunter transferred to Edinboro along with Nick Gwiadowski, Alex Dieringer, Mike Evans, James Green and Gabe Dean.  I heard something about them all deciding they wanted to help shut up some douche bag on this board.  

In the case of Gwiadowski and Dieringer, I hope they realize that Edinboro's coach has never had a multiple time national champion. If fact, he never took one of his national champions back to the ncaa finals.

Three notable omissions for Ohio State when it comes to wrestle offs: DiJulius, Hunter Stieber, and Haines.

For some, this is a non-issue as far as a season long view. It's October. Like Aaron Rogers, and Frankie before him, stated: R-E-L-A-X.

For others, it is an opportunity to get another dig in on a kid, a coach, and/or a university.

I look forward to this season. It should be exciting.

Edited by RealAmericanHero

Remember when David Taylor got crushed by Cyler Sanderson in an early season intra-squad?

The real question is whether or not Languis can beat out Demas.  

Yeah he lost like 9-1 in the wrestle-off, then saw him again at an open tournament later that season and lost like 4-3 to Cyler.

No offense, but are we really comparing Cyler Sanderson to Randy Languis?

According to Twitter, Coach Ryan was asked, "How did Hunter react to not being named a captian?"

Answer: "Hunter Stieber is a silent warrior. He has been a leader in this program since day 1. His win as a freshman over reigning NCAA champ Kellen Russell brought to life his amazing gifts on the mat. Hunter continues to go about his business of improvement. Don't be surprised to see him as a team captain before long. If there is any pain in him that he wasn't name a captain I am sure that it will serve him well. He's special.

Hunter transferred to Edinboro along with Nick Gwiadowski, Alex Dieringer, Mike Evans, James Green and Gabe Dean.  I heard something about them all deciding they wanted to help shut up some douche bag on this board.  

Yeah but that "someone" has picked Edinboro to win it all this season, thus it would do nothing to shut him up.  And eh made that pick despite their coach not being "great" and having to defeat teams that are led by "great " coaches.   Difficult to follow the individuals logic at times

Yeah but that "someone" has picked Edinboro to win it all this season, thus it would do nothing to shut him up.  And eh made that pick despite their coach not being "great" and having to defeat teams that are led by "great " coaches.   Difficult to follow the individuals logic at times

I've already explained my reasoning to you Cletus Tucker.

I am surprised at what may be lack of depth. How does DaOSU compare to other teams with roster depth?

Frequently  a question on the local forums.  40 wrestlers on the roster, but how do you measure true depth. Probably a subject of disagreement.

Ohio State's wrestle-off "shows", as they are done, won't demonstrate overall depth one way or another.

Edited by LkwdSteve

Interview dated today:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-wrestling/2014/11/42736/ohio-state-wrestling-coach-tom-ryan-on-lofty-expectations-and-making-history

Haines listed as the 285 starter for Kent State dual (and beyond?).

Not shocked he could win the spot, if indeed he has won it. Kid is a FANTASTIC athlete.