Sign in to follow this  
Cheap_Tilt

Has there even been a wrestling video game?

There used to be a computer game, as I recall. It was hosted by a website. Very simple, but fun in it's own way. No idea how to find it, if it even still exists.

I remember that. It was pretty hokey but I played it for awhile.

I swear to it that an old Olympic/world Nintendo game had a wrestling event on it. It was simple as could be. You and your opponent were locked in a clinch, and you had to push the A button as fast as you could repeatedly for about 10 seconds. At the end of the 10 seconds the opponent whose meeter had the most power would win.

The wrestlers started off very small on the screen, and once it was determined who won, the screen would zoom in to where the wrestlers were huge and the one would throw the other in slow motion to his back making the pin.

I'm going to do some digging and see if I can't figure out what this was or what it was for.

UFC Undisputed is about as good as its going to get. You have wrestling mode in training, and you can just purely wrestle every fight if you want. You get to pick which takedowns, throws, and finishes you want as well.

JT#1-World games, I think it was called, had sumo wrestling on it. I have it but I'm not getting the nintendo out to check. It has cliff diving, bull riding, barrel jumping, sumo wrestling, and much much more!

That must be what I was thinking of as there is nothing else I could find in my research.

It's a shame that some type of wrestling video game wasn't made over the years. You'd think that in Iran or Russia or somewhere where wrestling is the equivalent of football here, that they would inturn have a video game. Guess not.

I actually had a discussion with Ken Chertow once about the possibility of a wrestling video game and he liked the idea. He said that it'd be very hard to program in attacks and counters though. I agree with this, but think if the game were to be simplified down a bit, it could work.

I'm sure that it'd be criticized heavily for being "unrealistic" but I'd be happy with at least something. I doubt we could ever get a collegiate wrestling game made, but I do see the possibility of an olympic one being made. Not so much to where it is a stand alone game, but as an event on an olympic game. That I see as a possibility in the future.

With the recent development of control settings for WWE and UFC games a wrestling game is very plausible. However, as a stand alone game it would be very hard to sell to the larger audience. It would seem more likely to sell as part of a Summer Olympic Games package. However, it is unlikely this will occur since most games in those formats have basic controller functions so players can easily move from one event to another.