Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Dake - JB - 185

Being a New Yorker and a Cornell fan, Kyle Dake is one of my favorite athletes. But I also love Jordan Burroughs. But only one of them can rep the USA at 163.

On his blog, Dake says "I'm happy to say that I’m back on the mats. I’ve been lifting like a madman the past few months and have gotten much stronger both in the weight room and on the wrestling mat.I’m happy to say that I’m back on the mats. I’ve been lifting like a madman the past few months and have gotten much stronger both in the weight room and on the wrestling mat." He also says he practices with Gabe Dean. Does this suggest he can go 185. He has proven himself able to rise and thrive.

Or maybe JB can go 185? Hard to believe that he is not as strong as even the super-strong Ed Ruth, and twice as fast. 

For the good of the nation, is there a way we can convince one of them to move up.

if anything i think DT has the frame to fit nicely into an 80kg spot, alas, one does not exist, least not right now. have a hard time seeing JB, KD or DT going up to 86 though. 

but even if there is only room for one guy on the national team, doesn't mean they can't all still enter other tournaments and wrestle some of the best. take money to travel so easier said then done but the more matches everyone can get the better. 

I think Burroughs (and maybe the other two) could win the 86 kg US trials. Worlds, with Sadullaev and company? Nope. Even if your are strong as hell it's hard to go against that reach advantage.

I'm thinking the same thing with Ed Ruth at home. I can't see how Dake or Burroughs can routinely keep up with Ruth's length and leverage. Ruth, at this point, seems to be on a much steeper trajectory than either Burroughs or Dake, even when they're healthy, so the bump would be a bad idea, from this seat at least.

if anything i think DT has the frame to fit nicely into an 80kg spot, alas, one does not exist, least not right now. have a hard time seeing JB, KD or DT going up to 86 though. 

but even if there is only room for one guy on the national team, doesn't mean they can't all still enter other tournaments and wrestle some of the best. take money to travel so easier said then done but the more matches everyone can get the better. 

National team consists of the top 3

If any of the "big 3" has the frame to go up to 185, it's Taylor. He also has the smallest tank at the moment which suggests to me he's likely cutting the most. It's interesting how much Taylor and Dake's gas tanks (or at least my perception of them) have seemed to change relative to each other since 2011.

Edited by BigRedMachine

I agree, Taylor also has the biggest frame of the three.  I have heard that Taylor consistently beat Ruth in the room a couple of years ago.  Is/was this true?  Perhaps they could take a year off to lift hard and Taylor could bump to 185, Ruth to 211 after the 2016 Olympics as I think he has the frame to do so as well.  This assumes that Varner leaves his shoes on the mat in Rio.

I know, it's a ways off, and anything can happen, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Kyle Synder is representing Team USA at 97kg for 2015 World's in Vegas.

As far as the OP, should be real interesting to see how 74 and 86 play out. You have JB and his knee, Dake and his foot, the Magicman lurking somewhere, and who knows if Pico hits one more growth spurt.

2015 and the 2016 Olympic run should be wild and crazy at these weight classes, to put it mildly.

All I can really add is - this is a good problem to have. I am guessing Russia has this in most of it's weights. I wish we also had this problem of multiple world placer talent at several weights.

You know, I'm really starting to become a bigger and bigger fan of the Russian wrestlers. They just pump out so many champions year after year, and most appear to have very good sportsmanship and respect towards their opponents.

In fact, I'd love to buy some Dagestan Wrestling attire (sweat shirts, tee shirts, etc.). Or how about a Dagestan Wrestling bumper sticker driving around on Long Island. That would be cool.

The only problem with it being a good problem to have, is these guys live at the poverty level as it is. Without winning some prize money, it is a lot to ask them to stay at it.

I don't think JB isn't anywhere near poverty, in fact he is making over 6 figures a year, 2012 he received $250,000 just from the Living the Dream Fund...his endorsements with Asics, Flips, etc. has to be close to $100K a year or more.  Add in the camps he is invited to, the appearances, etc. he is making a nice living. He was also just added to the coaching staff at Nebraska (probably around $50K annually). Taylor seems to have a nice endorsement deal going and camps, but I think he and Dake are probably in the same boat financially, which isn't great, but they won't starve.  

Taylor seems to have a nice endorsement deal going and camps, but I think he and Dake are probably in the same boat financially, which isn't great, but they won't starve.  

Dake is the volunteer assistant at Cornell, so he probably lives with his parents in Ithaca. I'm not sure what Taylor does, but he definitely cannot live off of sock endorsement deals.

What do yo think about Kyle representing the US in Greco? We would love to have him apart of the program 

That would be cool, but no sure thing even if he commited to greco full time.  Not sure if Bisek had the tournament of his life or if he's just that good but he just knocked off Vlasov and won a bronze at worlds.  You could argue that 74 kg greco is the toughest weight class in any style internationally also. With Vlasov, the Korean and the Armenian you have 3 legitimate superstars with a ton of world medals each, and that's just the beginning.