Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

What is the NYAC thinking?

The New York Athletic Club is a pretty famous name. Bill Farell is not. He may have been a great promoter of wrestling, but for the club to change its tournament's name is nuts.

Also, the move to Hofstra is suspect. True, the NYAC gym has maybe 150 seats for spectators, but they could have put it at NYU or Columbia (or the Paramount theater at MSG) and had room for a decent crowd while staying in Manhattan.

It could be a chicken and the egg situation, but I do know that Hofstra is building an entire weekend around wrestling at the arena.  

In addition to the Farrell, they are also hosting the Nassau CC wrestle-offs, a dual between local programs, Stony Brook and SUNY Farmingdale, two clinics (one featuring Gray and Maroulis for young girls; the other being FS with Dake)...The final touch is that they are having an All-Star between a team of Nassau and Suffolk County's best scholastic wrestlers.  

It is important to remember that Noel Thompson, who is the former NYAC Wrestling Chairperson, is a Hofstra alum and the current chair, Dave Foxen, is a Long Island resident.  

Looks like the Hofstra and Long Island people wanted to use it to showcase themselves.  Shame.  This has some of the best wrestlers in the world and rather than showing off the Big Apple while making it about the best athletes in the world people from all around get to experience glamrous Hempstead and have youth clinics and high school matches bring the excitment. 

Looks like the Hofstra and Long Island people wanted to use it to showcase themselves.  Shame.  This has some of the best wrestlers in the world and rather than showing off the Big Apple while making it about the best athletes in the world people from all around get to experience glamrous Hempstead and have youth clinics and high school matches bring the excitment. 

Maybe....But it also could have been done in reverse.  That is why I referred to it as a chicken-and-the-egg situation.

It is equally possible that the NYAC made the decision to move the event to HU and only after this decision was made,  the community built around the event.  

I honestly do not know the order of decisions.   Either way, it was a NYAC decision and I can't place any blame on the school or the community.

Guest ShannonSofield

Had to jump in here, I was reminded of conferences at Hofstra about 15 years ago when one of our guys was out running to cut weight, was mugged, and had his shoes stolen.

As a new bonus this year, you need to buy a UWW(FILA) license which requires a copy of your passport, headshot, medical clearance signed by your doctor, and $200 cash in order to compete this year.  That doesn't include the tournament entry free or USAW membership.  It's like the UWW gets stocking stuffers all year round...good grief; Do any other sports make so much money off of their participants?

As a new bonus this year, you need to buy a UWW(FILA) license which requires a copy of your passport, headshot, medical clearance signed by your doctor, and $200 cash in order to compete this year.  That doesn't include the tournament entry free or USAW membership.  It's like the UWW gets stocking stuffers all year round...good grief; Do any other sports make so much money off of their participants?

i imagine most sports that generate little to no revenue on their own have to operate the same way. 

but until You Dub Dub opens their books and shows exactly where all the money is going then I think every wrestler has every right to be skeptical of the fees and what they go to. 

This is cool, I'm going.

(Gonna throw this out there, just in case any of the vendors read this by chance. Looking forward to purchasing some Team USA wrestling apparel, and if possible, really want to buy some Russian/Dagestan wrestling stuff as well. That'll be a nice change from wearing Yankees, Knicks, and Rangers, etc. attire.)

I just picked up on the fact that the admission price is $20-students and $30-adults.  Seems a bit steep.  If it's all about bringing a crowd in, they may be shooting themselves in the foot here.

The move to Hofstra had me scratching my head as well.  That's many years of tradition put aside.

Red, I feel your sentiment as well. The old NYAC Christmas Tournament can never be replaced. (That was back in the day when Americans were permitted to say the word "Christmas".)

Had to jump in here, I was reminded of conferences at Hofstra about 15 years ago when one of our guys was out running to cut weight, was mugged, and had his shoes stolen.

Did he make weight?

Quick single,

Thanks for the invite and it was a pleasure to meet you. Really glad I went.

Finally got to meet Gatsalov. What a nice guy, and I got a kick out of him wearing a Seattle Seahawks sweat shirt. Guess he knows who the last Super Bowl champs were. He spoke some broken English and told me that he might enter on Sunday. That was so cool sitting next to him and the other Russian coaches. Obviously, he didn't train with the other Russians tonight, but nonetheless, hope he enters the tournament.

FWIW Craig, your low single is still pretty darn quick. You got in quick and deep on that Russian a few times, but wow, some of his counters were spectacular. I'm guessing that was their 65kg guy, but whatever weight he is, the Americans are going to have their hands full with this kid come Sunday.

Also very cool that some of your high school kids got to wrestle some Russians. Just hilarious, standing next to and talking to the Dads of these kids while they're trying to score on World level Russians. The Dads were good sports.

Craig, best of luck to you and your Ascend Wrestling Club. See you on Sunday!