Sign in to follow this  
YoungLee

Rutgers Wrestle Offs

Two minor upsets at 133 and 149 LBS, true freshman Giraldo over DelVecchio in OT and Hunt WBF over Dippery. Anyone know why Corey Stasenko (South Plainfield, NJ) is off the RU roster? Always enjoyed watching him compete in HS & college (seems like at 3-4 different weight classes for sake of the team). 

Rutgers Wrestle-Offs Weight-by-Weight Results (not in order  of events)
125: Freshman Nicholas Ottaviano (Marlboro, N.J.)  dec. over redshirt sophomore Sean McCabe (Connetquot, N.Y.), 4-3.
133: Freshman Anthony Giraldo (Guttenberg, N.J.) dec. over sophomore Scott DelVecchio (South Plainfield, N.J.), 3-1 (SV2).
141: Redshirt freshman Anthony Ashnault (South Plainfield, N.J.) tech fall over redshirt sophomore Jalen Ramos(Bayville, N.J.), 19-4.
149: Redshirt sophomore Tyler Hunt (South Plainfield, N.J.) wins by fall over sophomore Tyson Dippery(Harrisburg, Pa.) (6:55).
149: Junior Ken Theobold (Toms River, N.J.) dec. over freshman John Van Brill (Mullica Hill, N.J.), 2-0.
157: Van Brill dec. over freshman Vincent Corsaro (Indianapolis, Ind.), 4-2 (SV).
165: Redshirt freshman Nicholas Gravina (Allendale, N.J.) dec. over redshirt junior Ethan Orr (Branchville, N.J.), 5-4.
174: Redshirt sophomore Phil Bakuckas (Hammonton, N.J.) tech fall over freshman Lucky Shaut (Columbus, Ohio), 17-2.
184: Redshirt sophomore Anthony Pafumi (Westfield, N.J.) major dec. over redshirt freshman Taylor Jackson (Lady Lake, Fla.), 10-1.
285: Redshirt junior Billy Smith (Wantage, N.J.) major dec. over freshman Wesley Bernard (Indianapolis, Ind.), 10-1.

Did Corey Stasenko transfer? I don't see him in the roster on the Rutgers website.

read that he quit the team but no other info was provided. Stasenko did a heroic job filling in at 3 different weight classes last year but he was going to have a real tough time getting varsity matches in the future with the talent being recruited and coming off RS. i wish him luck whatever his current pursuits entail.

read that he quit the team but no other info was provided. Stasenko did a heroic job filling in at 3 different weight classes last year but he was going to have a real tough time getting varsity matches in the future with the talent being recruited and coming off RS. i wish him luck whatever his current pursuits entail.

That's a shame. Kid had a tremendous amount of heart. I was looking forward to seeing him wrestle this year, even if it wasn't as a starter. I followed him since HS and always thought he gave it his all every time. I wish him well.

Though it is true that Rutgers is not the first choice for most students, I think that trend has started to change and being a member of the Big Ten is only going to help make it a top destination IMO. (Mobile)

No one in NJ really wants to go to Rutgers either. Kids in Ohio may dream of Ohio State. Kids in Texas, may dream of UT or even Texas A&M. No one -- not even in NJ-- dreams of Rutgers. This is true of athletes and non-athletes alike.

part of that is regional. the big flagship state school was never a thing for NJ, NY and NE. Rutgers is trying to change that but it takes a long time and a lot of resources. its not like flipping a switch. to this day politicians representing South Jersey fight the expansion of Rutgers which they see as an institution disproportionately benefiting North Jersey. 

anyway, not disagreeing with you. thats how it was in the late 90's when i last lived in the garden state. i'm assuming things are changing with the move to the Big 10 but i don't keep up much with the teens these days. 

Thank you for the clarification, now go fix your sentence.

He's right though, it's basically par for the course for state flagship schools. What attracts students to UConn, Iowa, Ohio State, or any other non-elite state flagship? Reality is that millions of students turn 18 each year and there could be any number of reasons why any individual student chooses a particular college. For anyone who wants access to NYC and/or Philadelphia it could be a great option.

I actually attended grad school at Rutgers for a semester (but dropped out). They offered me a full scholarship, were highly ranked in my field, and allowed me the opportunity to have a paid internship in Manhattan while attending school. Was a pretty decent situation.