Sign in to follow this  
LordNelson

All Star Predictions

Predictions in BOLD

125: #3 Alan Waters, Sr. (Missouri) vs. #4 Joey Dance, So. (Virginia Tech)
133: #1 A.J. Schopp, Sr. (Edinboro) vs. #2 Mason Beckman, Jr. (Lehigh)
141: #1 Logan Stieber, Sr. (Ohio State) vs. #2 Mitchell Port, Sr. (Edinboro)
149: #1 Jason Tsirtsis, So. (Northwestern) vs. #2 Josh Kindig, Sr. (Oklahoma State)
157: #2 James Green, Sr. (Nebraska) vs. #3 Ian Miller, Jr. (Kent State)
165: #1 Alex Dieringer, Jr. (Oklahoma State) vs. #2 Nick Sulzer, Sr. (Virginia)
174: #2 Robert Kokesh, Sr. (Nebraska) vs. #1-NAIA Brock Gutches, Sr. (Southern Oregon)
184: #1 Gabe Dean, So. (Cornell) vs. #1 Jack Dechow, So. (Old Dominion)
197: #1 J’Den Cox, So. (Missouri) vs. #2 Scott Schiller, Sr. (Minnesota)
285: #1 Nick Gwiazdowski, Jr. (N.C. State) vs. #2 Mike McMullan, Sr. (Northwestern)

125: #3 Alan Waters, Sr. (Missouri) vs. #4 Joey Dance, So. (Virginia Tech) - Decision. Two solid competitors with Waters cutting down. Joey's been a beast, and he ain't gonna stop now.

133: #1 A.J. Schopp, Sr. (Edinboro) vs. #2 Mason Beckman, Jr. (Lehigh) - Decision. Beckman got by on Schopp last year but AJ got much more solid over the year.

141: #1 Logan Stieber, Sr. (Ohio State) vs. #2 Mitchell Port, Sr. (Edinboro) - Decision. Stieber's good, obviously, but Port is only a step or so behind him, if even that. Without that strength advantage, as we've seen, Stieber looks a human. 

149: #1 Jason Tsirtsis, So. (Northwestern) vs. #2 Josh Kindig, Sr. (Oklahoma State) - Decision.  They were way too close in the finals last year. Tsirtsis wins all of his matches by razor thin margins. Kindig just has too many good partners available in that room. I feel like he closed that gap and will win this time around.

157: #2 James Green, Sr. (Nebraska) vs. #3 Ian Miller, Jr. (Kent State) - Tech, or Fall. Gonna be the match of the night. James Green hopefully has cleaned up his stuff and won't get caught. He's either gonna kill Ian, or Ian's gonna flip and pin him.

165: #1 Alex Dieringer, Jr. (Oklahoma State) vs. #2 Nick Sulzer, Sr. (Virginia) - Major. Another great match, but Dieringer is way too fundamental and strong. I feel like he looked like a 165lber last year; I could only imagine that he got even stronger over the summer.

174: #2 Robert Kokesh, Sr. (Nebraska) vs. #1-NAIA Brock Gutches, Sr. (Southern Oregon) - Decision. I'd love to see Brock win this. As a non-NCAA athlete myself, this would be huge to get people to realize that all college wrestlers are tough. Kokesh will get it, though. 

184: #1 Gabe Dean, So. (Cornell) vs. #1 Jack Dechow, So. (Old Dominion) - Major. Dechow is definitely solid, but Gabe is a monster. I wonder what training with KD all summer has done for him. 

197: #1 J’Den Cox, So. (Missouri) vs. #2 Scott Schiller, Sr. (Minnesota) - Decision. Cox has proved himself time and time again, and he's gonna do it again.

285: #1 Nick Gwiazdowski, Jr. (N.C. State) vs. #2 Mike McMullan, Sr. (Northwestern) - Decision. Gwiaz is the most fun heavyweight to watch. McMullan just can't get over that last hill to win a title. 

Edited by dclark145

Let me be the first to go out on a limb here and say Dechow will beat Dean.  I am not just saying this because I'm pulling for him.  I believe That ODU trains very hard early, in fact too hard, so I think Dechow will have an early season advantage.

Everyone seems to be making a big deal about Waters "cutting down" to 125.  Fact is, he thought he might grow into 133 during his redshirt year, but that did NOT happen - thus he's still at 125.  Waters' last two years of competition he's 60-2 heading into NCAA's, including 32-0 last year.  Solid competitor?  I should say so.  Waters won't lose to anyone prior to the semi's of NCAA's, if then.  

Let me be the first to go out on a limb here and say Dechow will beat Dean.  I am not just saying this because I'm pulling for him.  I believe That ODU trains very hard early, in fact too hard, so I think Dechow will have an early season advantage.

Teach, normally I might agree - but with Dean, I don't think conditioning is ever going to be an issue, early season or not!

Everyone seems to be making a big deal about Waters "cutting down" to 125.  Fact is, he thought he might grow into 133 during his redshirt year, but that did NOT happen - thus he's still at 125.  Waters' last two years of competition he's 60-2 heading into NCAA's, including 32-0 last year.  Solid competitor?  I should say so.  Waters won't lose to anyone prior to the semi's of NCAA's, if then.  

this is why i was happy to see Waters as the replacement at 125. very interested to see how his season goes. 

most people think Waters will win or is the cut going to be impactful right away??

Dance is pretty tough and many might think he got hot last year, I think he is legit.

______

55gill56

Excellent breakdown by you, dclark145. Only two upsets (according to the rankings you provided), but I'm not sure what to think about the Dean-Dechow situation. Are they both ranked #1 but by different sources, or was that a typo?

I think your 157 break-down is on point. James Green is a bit of a feast of famine guy.

25 Waters....but in the Spring I'd take Dance 

33 Beckman......Tossup but he did it last year here so I'm saying repeat

41 Steiber......revenge for his Lil' Bro

49 Kindig........Probably been focused on this rematch for some time now and the hunter will beat the hunted in a All star match but not on the stage

57 Miller....Continues roll from the summer and I expect major fireworks final score 14-12

65 Sulzer......Razor thin but I'm calling Sulzer because A) He is from Ohio and B) above poster said tech or fall and that is just ridiculous

74 Kokesh....Gutches is dangerous but I believe this is the year for Kokesh and Nebraska to find another champ

84 Dean......Low scoring lotsa action but with the experience this summer overseas and the mix of workouts with Dake the refuse to lose attitude will be passed on to Dean

97 Schiller......Heflin should've had 2!

HWT McMullan.....Super exiting HWTS to watch I think this could go down to the wire with that low single being the difference FUN MATCHUP!!

Showcase Matchups

Helen Maroulis (United States) 
Division III Alex Gomez, Sr. (Ithaca) 
Jordan Laster, So. (Princeton)
 Devin Carter, Sr. (Virginia Tech) I would take him on the marquee matchup as well 
 Lorenzo Thomas, Sr. (Penn) 

Excellent breakdown by you, dclark145. Only two upsets (according to the rankings you provided), but I'm not sure what to think about the Dean-Dechow situation. Are they both ranked #1 but by different sources, or was that a typo?

I think your 157 break-down is on point. James Green is a bit of a feast of famine guy.

JB is right. I accidentally didn't pick up on a typo of his. Thanks for catching that. 

125:  Waters by 3 or 4.  Since it is the All Star Classic and not the NCAA tournament Dance will choose down to feel out Waters. That won't feel very good!   Similar to Graff vs. Colon, come tournament time he will do his best to keep the match on his feet and force Waters to decide between an escape point or choosing the top position.

133:  Beckman will NOT choose down tournament time or not.  He will do his best to keep it in neutral.  However, Schopp will get a defensive TD and put the saddle and bridle on for the long haul.  Schopp 8-0.

141:  Port is VERY good!  Stieber is still much better.  Stieber will control this match in the neighborhood of 6-3.  Come tournament time it won't even be that close.

149:  Tsirtsis doesn't always win pretty but he reminds me of D. Schlatter.  His positioning is so good.  Without the injuries that plagued Schlatter he will continue to win.  Tsirtsis by a TD.

157:  The possible outcomes of this match up are truly impossible to count!  Green's gas tank has been all over the place.  They BOTH have matches where they look completely uninterested.  They both have matches where they look like Top 5 wrestlers of ALL TIME!  Come NCAA tournament, I like Green.  All Star Classic time I have to go with Miller by Fall!(Just ask Tyler Caldwell)

165:  Dierenger also fits right into the D. Schlatter mold.  If not for his Krytonite(St. John) he would be a 2xer already!  I am interested to see if he opens up his offense more without having to cut so much weight.  Sulzer is a gamer but I believe he is simply outmatched.  Dierenger 8-4.

174:  Gutches is one of the best non-DI talents in the country.  Problem is due to not being DI he gets VERY limited exposure to talent of Kokesh's level.  He was able to keep it close with Kokesh last year and for most of the match he will do so again.  However, Kokesh is a machine and with this being his last year (and with Howe and Perry gone) he will be on a mission.  Kokesh pulls away late in the 3rd and wins 9-4.

184:  I will admit I have some homegrown Michigan bias, but damn Dean looks like an armored truck on the mat!  Dechow is a special young talent as well.  I think he has the tools to keep it close, but not enough to win.  Dean 6-3.

197:  Schiller and Minnesota as a whole always seem to be at their best at the beginning of the season(excepting Ness who is an Enigma!).  J'Den is a special talent and I have a hard time picking against him.  This will be a 1 mistake match and since it is the beginning of the year I will pick the Senior to make a statement to start the season!  Schiller 3-2.

285:  I haven't been as excited to see a Heavyweight match since Mocco vs. Konrad.  McMullan has been close with 3rd, 2nd, 3rd finishes.  He doesn't want to go down as one of the best to never win it.  This is his year and I think he makes a statement to start the season.  McMullan 8-5.

This is one of the best lineups I can remember for the Classic.  I really hope we don't get any late scratches.  For the first time I can remember I am looking forward to EVERY matchup!

125: Waters over Dance

133: Schopp over Duke's backup

141: Franklin and Marshal's backup over Steiber *upset special

149: Duke's backup over F&Ms backup

157: F&M's backup over Duke's third string 

165: Dieringer over Cleveland State's backup

174: Gutches over Duke's 3rd string 125

184: F&M's backup over Duke's 3rd string 125 in OT

197: Davidson's backup 165 over Cleveland State's 3rd string 174 

285: Davidson's assistant coach over the drunk guy in the 3rd row.

125: #3 Alan Waters, Sr. (Missouri) vs. #4 Joey Dance, So. (Virginia Tech).

133: #1 A.J. Schopp, Sr. (Edinboro) vs. #2 Mason Beckman, Jr. (Lehigh).

149: #1 Jason Tsirtsis, So. (Northwestern) vs. #2 Josh Kindig, Sr. (Oklahoma State)
174: #2 Robert Kokesh, Sr. (Nebraska) vs. #1-NAIA Brock Gutches, Sr. (Southern Oregon)
184: #1 Gabe Dean, So. (Cornell) vs. #2 Jack Dechow, So. (Old Dominion)
285: #1 Nick Gwiazdowski, Jr. (N.C. State) vs. #2 Mike McMullan, Sr. (Northwestern)

Showcase Matchups
Women’s FS 55kg: World #3 Helen Maroulis (United States) vs. World #4 Jillian Gallays (Canada)
133: #1-Division III Alex Gomez, Sr. (Ithaca) vs. #17 Kevin Devoy, So. (Drexel)
141: #1-NCWA Ryan Diehl, So. (Liberty) vs. Jordan Laster, So. (Princeton)
149: #3 Devin Carter, Sr. (Virginia Tech) vs. #20 C.J. Cobb, Sr. (Penn)
184: #3 Lorenzo Thomas, Sr. (Penn) vs. Clint Morrison, Sr. (Rider)

Predictions revisited:  I was very impressed with the level of wrestling so early in the season(pre).  Other than Cox and maybe Miller in the 3rd they all looked ready for the NCAA tournament.

165:  Dierenger is just so solid.  His positioning is about as good as it gets.  I would have liked to see him open up a bit more but he still won comfortably.

174:  Went nearly exactly how I expected.  Gutches is a gamer but Kokesh goes and goes and goes.  I just don't think an NAIA wrestler gets exposed to the training regimen of a DI wrestler, especially a physical freak like Kokesh.  Gutches could maybe AA in DI but he would be fighting for 7/8.

184:  Dean actually reminded me a lot of Dake.  Funny thing is he didn't remind me of Dake 1 bit last year!  I was amazed how he didn't give up a takedown on 3 separate DEEP shots.  That Will to Win factor is huge and he sure looks to have it.

197:  Schiller may have won, but I came away from that match thinking Cox is BY FAR the better wrestler.  If his conditioning improves  20-30%, let alone the 60-70% that is possible, I don't think anyone, including Snyder, can beat him.  He was out of gas by the end of the 1st period.  Still he kept getting in on shot after shot and it took most of the match for Schiller to get it to OT.  Again, 20% more gasoline and that could have been a 4 takedown match in Cox's favor.

285:  McMullan looked VERY good.  I know everyone loves an active 285 but McMullan showed the danger of being aggressive in that weight class.  He countered Gwiz VERY well.  Even though the score was 8-4 these 2 are evenly matched.  It may go against Gwiz's mindset but he may be better off wrestling a more calculated match the next time they face off.

125:  I have never been a big fan of Waters and nothing happened in this match that changed that.  He is solid, Dance is as well.  I just didn't see anything to make me think they will Challenge Delgado or Garrett.  In fact I don't expect them to challenge Gilman either.  They will AA but expect to see them both wrestling for 5/6.

149:  Tsirtsis-See Dierenger.

157:  I went for broke on this one.  I definitely think Green is the better wrestler but, man o man, does Miller have an arsenal.  I figured he would pull the preseason rabbit out of his hat and it didn't happen.  Miller wrestled flat(literally) in the 3rd when I expected Green to be the one out of gas.  Green may end up an undefeated champ this year!

133:  Schopp did just enough to win on his feet.  With that said, I still don't think he can win it all, especially if they hold strict to the riding rules come NCAA tournament time.  He did switch up his ride a bit riding the ankle while kneeling on the near side arm.  Still, depending on the ref's interpretation stalling is gonna be called in this position I am just not sure on which wrestler.  I am just not sold someone so one dimensional(especially when it is the top position) can win it all.  I hope I am wrong because I do like the kid, the beard thing was pretty cool.

141:  Sad.  No matter the reason this really sucked.  I feel bad for the people who spent the money, traveled a long way and didn't get to see this match.  Still Stieber is your Champion come March.

125: #3 Alan Waters, Sr. (Missouri) vs. #4 Joey Dance, So. (Virginia Tech).

133: #1 A.J. Schopp, Sr. (Edinboro) vs. #2 Mason Beckman, Jr. (Lehigh).

184: #1 Gabe Dean, So. (Cornell) vs. #2 Jack Dechow, So. (Old Dominion)

Showcase Matchups

Women’s FS 55kg: World #3 Helen Maroulis (United States) vs. World #4 Jillian Gallays (Canada)

133: #1-Division III Alex Gomez, Sr. (Ithaca) vs. #17 Kevin Devoy, So. (Drexel)

141: #1-NCWA Ryan Diehl, So. (Liberty) vs. Jordan Laster, So. (Princeton)

149: #3 Devin Carter, Sr. (Virginia Tech) vs. #20 C.J. Cobb, Sr. (Penn)

184: #3 Lorenzo Thomas, Sr. (Penn) vs. Clint Morrison, Sr. (Rider)

looks like I did pretty good at picking the main event matches...show case, not as much.