Sign in to follow this  
LordNelson

PSU's Lineup

I think Penn State will red shirt a lot of guys this year, including all the recruits, Zain and Mega. 

Most wrestling fans know what this results in for a line up. Probably a 4th place finish this year, which is fine. Re loading for the next huge run.

TBar, I hope they finish no lower than 4th and I think the next few years they could be scary good (again), but seriously, when you look at the potential line-up, based on what you stated as far as guys taking the RS...how many 'lock' AAs do you see?  I see one, Brown. OK, maybe MacIntosh gives you two.

That said I think they will do better than that, but I am not sure who else will step up and reach the podium. Right now (key words) they look like they have a lot of 12-20 type kids in line-up. 

I agree that right now they have a lot of 12-20 rank kids in the line-up.  I think Brown and McIntosh are locks.  Then I think Conaway will low AA (6-8) and Dylan Alton will mid to low if he stays healthy (4-8).  I think Gulibon has the talent to finish as high as 3-4 but I'll say 6th.  Then I could see HWT, Beitz, and McCutcheon sneaking in for a low AA-R12 finish.  Dont think they will get much out of Moss or Hammond.  So my prediction would be 5 AA's and 1 more possibly sneaking in.  Still not sure that will be enough for 4th because majority will be low AA's.  But I would take 6 AA's on a "down year" any day

If you put Retherford in, put Nickal in, then I say they can contend:

125: Conaway: don't care about the rankings or the toughness of the weight I feel like this kid has been undersold by everyone, including PSU faithful.  I think he will stand on the podium.

133: Gulibon: ain't too shabby a little pup told me, he is a r12'er and maybe punches through

141: Zain: top 3

149: Beitz: another English??  The kid ain't too bad

157: D Alton: new year, maybe a year healthier, a lot of potential there

165: Hammond: at least a 2-2 guy

174: Brown: lock for top 4

184: Nickal: superstud, may be top 4 today

197: McIntosh: AA at least

285: Gingerich/Lawson: Not placing

You telling me that Cael can't pull a "Gable" and just win it anyway??

Nelson, we are not winning it this year regardless of anything. The following year we will be right back in serious contention for the title as we will have threats all over the line up. 

Consider Penn State to be spoilers this year. We won't win it, but one or two guys will get the opportunity to wreck some other team's chances. 

Edited by TBar1977

Here's my guesses:

125: Conaway. Low-Mid AA. When he's at 125, he's a monster, but he's not on the Garrett/Delgado/Megaludis level yet. I do, however, have faith in his work ethic, and can see him sneaking into the top 5. Let's not forget that he snuck in a win vs. Graff.

133: Gulibon. R12-Low AA. Last year, he just looked so tentative when he was wrestling. I think finishing a season has helped him warm up a bit.

141: Moss. 1-2 - R12. Greco FILA Nationals Champ. Anyone in that room is good enough to get wins at Nationals. Just a matter of who he has to wrestle. I'd say this weight is very top heavy with Stieber and Port, but the middle-of-the-pack guys are still tough (Dutton, Ashnault, Dziewa, Mecate, Dardanes, Grey). Will be interesting to see how he does. There's a ton of weight resting upon his shoulders concerning team placement. 

149: Beitz. R12-Low AA. As we've seen, Beitz kept it close, but just could not get those high-profile wins last year. I think, like Gulibon, finishing a season will help him get those last few remaining fundamentals down to secure a top 10 spot.

157: D. Alton. Low-Mid AA. I would love to see both of the Altons in the line-up their last year, and for both to win titles, but 157 is looking stacked and Andrew is looking hurt. Can't see Dylan getting past Green, Miller or Ness all in one tournament, but he might be able to beat one and grab a top 4 finish. Fingers crossed.

165: Hammond. R12-Low AA. My favorite guy on the team. Reffed my match at the Intramural Tournament when I sprained my MCL and wobbled onto the mat. Really cool guy to talk to when I see him around campus. As a preferred walk-on with something to prove, he has the right mindset to assume the spot as starter. He had an up and down season, but for the most part, I think DT sticking around really helped his development over the summer. Also, PSU's room is most stacked from 141 to 184. These are all the guys that Garrett is most likely wrestling on a consistent basis. 

174: Brown. National Champ. The top 4 in 174 are all way too close to determine a definite prediction, but I am biased, and this is a pre-season prediction, so it's okay. He is a married man in ROTC and a 3.9+ GPA. Nothing can get in his way. I say Brown finally closes the deal this year.

184: McCutcheon. Low-Mid AA. Another cool guy to talk to. Seems like a pretty laid back guy, but he really turns it up on the mats. The talent here kind of drops off after Dean and Dechow, with Brown and Thomas right behind them. After that, it's all fair game. Another huge factor in how we do as a team.

197: McIntosh. Mid-High AA. Last season was bad as far as injuries went, and you could definitely sense a loss in step when watching him. It's been plenty of time to recover, and now Mac is a frontrunner on the team. He's a proven winner and leader, and I think this new position of leading will help push him over the hump. Interested to see how he fares against Cox, Schiller and Snyder.

285: Lawson. Low-Mid AA. The HWTs at PSU are always in limbo, I feel like. Gingrich did great subbing in for Lawdog in the post season. I honestly have no clue who will win between the two, but whoever does will go far. When I tell you that Lawson is a behemoth, that is not an understatement. This dude looks HUGE just walking around campus. 

As far as the REAL wrestling team at PSU (The Club Team) goes.. expect a NCWA Div.2 National Championship! 

I admit I have never been a big fan of Sanderson or PSU.  With that said, long term winner's most often breed winner's.  Just like long term losing breeds losing(MSU).  PSU will definitely be putting out it's least talented line up since Sanderson's first year as their Head Coach.  However, he has instilled a mindset that will get closer to the most (than the least) out of this lineup.

If all the redshirts happen(especially Retherford), I am still not convinced top 5 is possible.  tOSU, Iowa and Minnesota all have VERY deep line ups.  Cornell looks very good as well.  Smith(OkState) has a Champ and Finalist returning, and an ace in the hole like Marstellar can't hurt.  I think these five are a cut above the rest.  I see PSU competing with Michigan, Nebraska, Edinboro, Northwestern and Missouri for the 6-10 spots.

125:  Conaway is definitely my favorite PSU wrestler.  I love the heart.  All go, no quit.  Problem is I think there are too many 125's that are just better.  Delgado, Garrett, Gilman, Waters, Dance and Peters all have the pedigree and have proven themselves on the big stage (Gilman at Junior World's, plus a win over Delgado).  Then you still have Tyler Cox and youngsters like Taylor and Tomasello.  I would love to see him make the podium, but I wouldn't bet on it.

133:  Gulibon should benefit from 133 clearing out.  However, he better have muscled up and toughened up.  He often looked, to me at least, overpowered.   I don't see him breaking into the Top 6 but a podium finish is a good possibility.

141:  Retherford or bust

149:  Alton or bust

157: Alton or bust.  Since Alton is the most likely to go of the last 3 I mentioned I say he is top 5.

165:  Hammond I don't see winning more than 2 matches

174:  Brown is Top 4, which one is like throwing darts at a giant dartboard after being spun 3 times and having 4 quadrants to aim at while trying to hit one not knowing which quadrant is which number.

184:   See 165

195: McIntosh is my 2nd favorite on this team.  A lot of heart but has always been undersized.  Top 5 and could maybe squeeze into 3rd.

285: 2-2

I really only see 4 AA's with a small chance for a 5th.  I am just not sold that is enough for top 5.  If Retherford wrestlers they are contending for a team trophy!

If you really try to win it every year, a la superold, then who can you not put out your horses??

Not a huge fan of the potential double redshirt for Nico.  (see Howe)

I still think Cael might keep Retherford in, and possibly see the 1st half of the season before making a call on some of his young guns.

If you really try to win it every year, a la superold, then who can you not put out your horses??

Not a huge fan of the potential double redshirt for Nico.  (see Howe)

I still think Cael might keep Retherford in, and possibly see the 1st half of the season before making a call on some of his young guns.

Disagree. Think Cael Sanderson will play this like he did year 1 at Penn State. That worked out great, and I think it will work out fantastically this time around as well. Redshirt them all, then come out and take it to everyone after that. Penn State is goimng to have an incredible line up next year and beyond. 

Disagree. Think Cael Sanderson will play this like he did year 1 at Penn State. That worked out great, and I think it will work out fantastically this time around as well. Redshirt them all, then come out and take it to everyone after that. Penn State is goimng to have an incredible line up next year and beyond. 

You are definitely in the more realistic camp or at least the one that the consensus favors.

As much as I am not a PSU fan, I like dynasties and want to see them make a run at 10.

As a program they are in a real position to do it.

dclark's line up above is correct with two exceptions (for now). 99% sure this is what you'll see vs. Lehigh.

125 Jordan  Conoway

133 Jim Gulibon

141 Kade Moss

149 Zack Beitz

157 Cody Law will get the start vs. Lehigh

165 Garrett Hammond

174 Matt Brown

184 Matt McCutcheon

197 Morgan McIntosh

Hwt Jon Gingrich

Edited by TBar1977

I don't know the specifics, lu_alum. I just pieced this together by carefully going over our various Penn State msg. boards. There is enough information to be able to make the claim that that line up is about 99% reliable for our match this weekend. I'm assuming Bietz did beat Frey, though. 

What about the Lehigh lineup? How is going to look?

If you put Retherford in, put Nickal in, then I say they can contend:

125: Conaway: don't care about the rankings or the toughness of the weight I feel like this kid has been undersold by everyone, including PSU faithful.  I think he will stand on the podium.

133: Gulibon: ain't too shabby a little pup told me, he is a r12'er and maybe punches through

141: Zain: top 3

149: Beitz: another English??  The kid ain't too bad

157: D Alton: new year, maybe a year healthier, a lot of potential there

165: Hammond: at least a 2-2 guy

174: Brown: lock for top 4

184: Nickal: superstud, may be top 4 today

197: McIntosh: AA at least

285: Gingerich/Lawson: Not placing

You telling me that Cael can't pull a "Gable" and just win it anyway??

So Penn State is going to be even worse than I expected.