Sign in to follow this  
John L

All Star Classic Parking

This week ends NWCA All Star Classic has well over 4000 tickets pre-sold,  so the crowd will be very large. The Palestra is on the University of Pennsylvania's inner city campus. Always busy on weekends.

Penn also has its Homecoming Saturday. So please plan accordingly and get there early enough for you to secure your parking. 

There are plenty of seats available at the Classic at the www.wrestlersinbusiness.org site  Fans can walk up and purchase, but we encourage pre sales. 

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjs/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/PalestraDirectPark.pdf

http://www.pennathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=66183

The first link is an old posting (2009) made by St Joe's athletic dept, but it should give you an idea as to what the area is like. I went to school at Temple and have been there many times over the years for basketball games. I've usually just made my way to 34th street and started looking. Never really had any trouble.

Edited by lu_alum

Between the Classic and Homecoming, just parking on the street will NOT work. I'm not sure if Penn has a dedicated parking lot for Athletics, but it sure as hell isn't big enough for everyone. Your best bet is to park at one of the many lots down Market Street (the Palestra is 3 blocks off of Market Street and 32nd, if I remember correctly), which do cost a bit of money, but will save you a ton of time in regards to finding a decent spot. If you want to tour around University City/Downtown a bit, park closer to City Hall where there's always open lots (albeit a bit more expensive). Keep in mind that you must go pick your car back up at night, and I know many people not used to the city will be uncomfortable walking the streets at night. 

Another great idea is to park at one of the several SEPTA Transportation Center locations throughout the outer parts of Philly (or even the suburbs) which have parking lots that are much cheaper, then taking public transportation down to Penn. I'd say the safest bet is parking at one of the Northeast Philadelphia locations and taking either the Market-Frankford line down to 30th street or one of the Regional Rails to 30th street as well. Relatively cheap, much quicker than finding a parking spot, and the regional rails are very safe. The neighborhood itself is one of the safer, quieter ones as well, so less worries about car damage or late-night trouble.

Public Transportation gets a bad rep here in Philly - of course, it's not the best, but you don't have to worry too much. I have never experienced any difficulty on the train, besides the occasional strong stench from a homeless person or having to ignore someone asking for spare change. 

Edited by dclark145

The links that lu_alum posted above are pretty good resources, the one major thing that has changed from 2009 is that the South Street Bridge is now open again. and the exit off of I76 at the Soiuth Street Bridge is near The Palestra. That exit does drop you near a parking garage at South and Convention, but be advises that it is also right at Franklin Field where the football game will be finishing up.

As mentioned above, it is Homecoming at Penn this weekend. Our football game starts at 1 p.m. and should be completed by 4:30. Parking and traffic around campus will be cluttered all day, but fans arriving for the All-Star Classic likely will be able to take some parking spaces opened up by people leaving the football game.

Here is a link to the University's parking web page which has the most up-to-date parking information tor the University. http://cms.business-services.upenn.edu/parking/

As also mentioned above, public transportation is very accesible to campus. The Blue Line of the subway stops at 30th and Market or 34th and Market, each about a 5-10 minute walk through Penn's campus to The Palestra. In addition, the Regional Rail options (http://www.septa.org/service/rail/) stop at 30th and Market and the University City station on the Regional Rail is aross the street from Franklin Field/The Palestra, no more than a five minute walk. http://www.septa.org/stations/rail/universitycity.html

Here's our main Directions page from our web site (http://www.pennathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=66279&DB_OEM_ID=1700&DB_OEM_ID=1700)

Hopefully this helps a bit. We appreciate everyone's patience as Saturday will be a busy day on campus and we extremely appreciate your attendance at the All-Star Classic.

Another great idea is to park at one of the several SEPTA Transportation Center locations throughout the outer parts of Philly (or even the suburbs) which have parking lots that are much cheaper, then taking public transportation down to Penn. I'd say the safest bet is parking at one of the Northeast Philadelphia locations and taking either the Market-Frankford line down to 30th street or one of the Regional Rails to 30th street as well. Relatively cheap, much quicker than finding a parking spot, and the regional rails are very safe.

Coming from Jersey, it looks like Frankford Transport Center is right along the way, at the end of the blue line.  Anyone local to Philly know, is parking there generally sufficient on weekends?  Local area pretty OK?  (I'm an urbanite, so "bad area" for me is like, S.E. Washington bad!)

Edited by redblades