Sign in to follow this  
Threadkilla

Sam Wheeler

potdangerous, that's among the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time. There isn't a letter in Wheeler's comments that I agree with, but to say that he should have been thrown off the team for that? He committed no crime (this is indisputable), was immediately remorseful for his comments, and as such, in my opinion, should be allowed back on the team. This isn't like Jameis Winston, who is a punchline for a joke months after his first transgression, and, of course, is still playing football for Florida State.

potdangerous, that's among the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time. There isn't a letter in Wheeler's comments that I agree with, but to say that he should have been thrown off the team for that? He committed no crime (this is indisputable), was immediately remorseful for his comments, and as such, in my opinion, should be allowed back on the team. This isn't like Jameis Winston, who is a punchline for a joke months after his first transgression, and, of course, is still playing football for Florida State.

My favorite with Jamesis Winston was how he is a two sport athlete so he was given two first strikes. He is now only up to two strikes for football and one strike for baseball.

If your employee made those comments, how would you feel?  Would you want that liability?  Wheeler's comments were picked up by large media outlets, including ESPN.  That's embarrassing for Kent State.  That's embarrassing for wrestling.

The transgressions of others are not relevant to my feeling on whether Wheeler's punishment was just.  Whether it is a crime is also not relevant.  He's not in jail and his rights haven't been compromised.

Kent State doesn't owe Wheeler anything.  Wrestling doesn't owe Wheeler anything.  Nobody is making any money off of Wheeler.  His ability to wrestle for KSU is a great privilege.  This was a big lesson for him.  I hope it fuels him positively going forward.

Lets face it, only reason Wheeler is getting booted is because he just isnt that good of a wrestler for Kent to "forgive" this incident. You think Ohio State would boot Logan Stieber if he tweeted something like that? HA! Please. Wheeler was ok but didnt put any asses into the seats. Its a pretty crappy double standard but its the world we live in.

I dont think the kid should have been booted. Cmon people, some words on a computer screen from a kid in college. People are waaaay to sensitive this day and age. Bunch of Nancy Pants

potdangerous, I wouldn't say I wouldn't be embarrassed for the university. I would definitely have called him in and said that what he tweeted was utterly stupid. But in terms of keeping him on the team, I'd be looking to see how remorseful he was before I asked him to clean out his locker. If I recall correctly, he immediately removed the offending tweet, and apologized, rather than compounding the issue. If he said something like that again, on twitter or anywhere else, however, he'd probably be walking the plank.

Given that he was wrestling for a public school, by the way, I'm surprised he hasn't called a lawyer and argued for his First Amendment rights.

Given that he was wrestling for a public school, by the way, I'm surprised he hasn't called a lawyer and argued for his First Amendment rights.

I actually thought the same. There are a lot of kids (or parents) that would go to court over it. Tomorrow in Rochester, NY a state judge will decide which football team plays in the playoffs Saturday.

I would find it interesting for a judge to determine damages. Would be great to hear the figure they determine for how much wrestling in the MAC championship is worth.

From what Andrassy said in a recent Flo interview, he made it sound as if this incident was just one of a number of bad decisions made by Wheeler in the past. It was likely just a reason to finally get rid of a bad apple.

Lets face it, only reason Wheeler is getting booted is because he just isnt that good of a wrestler for Kent to "forgive" this incident. You think Ohio State would boot Logan Stieber if he tweeted something like that? HA! Please. Wheeler was ok but didnt put any asses into the seats. Its a pretty crappy double standard but its the world we live in.

I dont think the kid should have been booted. Cmon people, some words on a computer screen from a kid in college. People are waaaay to sensitive this day and age. Bunch of Nancy Pants

I will agree that I don't like that Kent State had to take action because of external influence or, as Threadkilla says, "the PC police".  I wish it was done on principle.  Our country does love to be outraged and the media loves to provide fuel for that fire, but I don't blame Kent State one bit for trying to protect themselves.

Two articles on his dismissal, which change my views on this topic 180 degrees...Andrassy and the athletic department probably made the right call.

http://www.kentwired.com/videos/article_53f41d70-4590-11e4-a179-0017a43b2370.html

http://www.kentwired.com/sports/article_8bd36460-4448-11e4-9ec1-001a4bcf6878.html

If there were extenuating circumstances I would agree with you.

If his tweets conveyed a position, maybe.  His words/tweets may not be protected under the first amendment if they are determined to be a class of unprotected speech.  Also, not sure if his rights were violated by removal from team.  Further, Kent State can publicly base their official position on the other instances of misconduct from the links above without risk.

As far as Kent State goes, they have been hypocritical. A big donor got angry. There was no such big donor to protect the sensibilities of Jewish students. So a professor, with behaviors as egregious (IMO) as Wheeler's, totally skated.

EDIT-this is with reference to the original suspension, which I thought, at the time, was a bit heavy.

Edited by LkwdSteve