MSU158

If Stieber doesn't wrestle am I due an apology?

I took a lot of heat for saying Tom Ryan has a tendency to avoid big matches in the regular, or in this case pre, season.  Have there been enough occurences for the faithful to no longer call it coincidence?  In this case waiting until the night of the Classic is truly unfair to the fans.

PLEASE NOTE:  Bader just said that a "little birdie" told him.  If Stieber does wrestle shame on Bader!!!!!!

Edited by MSU158

If you are referring to me I NEVER suggested this would happen.  I also, in NO WAY, hate Ryan or Stieber.  If you follow my posts at all I have called Ryan a great coach and predict tOSU and Stieber will both win the NCAA tournament this year.  I simply have pointed out it looks like Ryan has made this a recurring theme.  I simply don't think it is fair to the fans and until DI somehow makes regular season and the ALL STAR CLASSIC more important to the overall season this will continue to happen.....

Edited to add:  I truly DID NOT expect this to happen.  I was really looking forward to the match and took heat from my wife ditching her to watch it.  She is over 7 months pregnant so believe me I took MAJOR HEAT.  I also take offense to having my intelligence questioned for an inaccurate depiction.  Now if you want to question my intelligence for angering my pregnant wife I may agree with you.......

Edited by MSU158

Looks like it's confirmed, the match between Stieber and Port won't happen. 

What was the reason given?  And was it announced before or after the dual started? 

Ryan can't pull him at the last second, after he was flown out there. Plus Steiber wrestled last year (but against someone at a different weight class)

Look, I honestly think Ryan is a top notch tactician.  Holding his wrestlers out, for whatever reason, isn't against the rules.  He has coached enough National Champs that I am not one to second guess him.  My only area of contention is what it does to the fans. If this decision was in the hands of Ryan, thenI think he owes an apology to the fans.  They made the match the Marquee for Pete's sake.  For this to happen last minute, sucks for everyone who paid money just to see that match up.  If you knew you were not going to wrestle drop out with enough time for them to get a substitute.

With everything I said above, I hope it wasn't planned.  It's one thing to do it in a dual meet but at an event like this.......

Edited by MSU158

SHP,

I hope not!  Regardless, I think Ryan is a top 5 DI coach and am still predicting tOSU and Stieber wins it all.  I know he does what his best for his wrestlers, it just gets frustrating when the match up you are waiting for doesn't happen and it seems like this happens more often to Ryan coached teams..........

Tough to comment without knowing what the injury is. There is no doubt how tough Logan is, he would never back down from a match. I am not being critical of Steiber, this reflects poorly on the coach and doc. I am questioning the decision to make this a game time decision though. 1 day notice would have been understandable, we likely would have seen Port vs Carter with a few hours notice. Notification during the event seems to have been the wrong decision.

Edited by jstock

You aren't due an apology, but you are due:

1. An explanation from Stiever or tOSU

or

2. Some decent reporting that reveals what really went on.

But don't expect either.

This is another reason why this sport fails to grow.  The teams/coaches disrepect the fans by not providing the type of information needed to keep us motivated to support the sport,  And the media is basically non-existent; what supposed journalists are out there do nothing more that parrot press releases provided by SIDs and USA Wresetling.  There is no real investigative journalism in wrestling.

It's a shame, b/c the product is great (and improving with recent rules changes).  And the sport continues to produce what should be compelling story lines.  Yet getting solid infomration on anything that isn't spoon fed by the shools/USA Wrestling is virtually impossible.

The sport desparately needs a reporter who isn't afraid to ask tough questions and hound those who stonewall and hide the real truth.  I wish Askrin would leave his shoes on the mat and pick up a pen and notepad.

Sucks I couldn't compete tonight I was weighed in and ready to go and the doctor didn't clear me.I'm all good now tho n I'll be back soon!

@wrestlingbucks: Logan weighed in and was not medically cleared. He is ok but doc thought the best thing was to not compete tonight."

Well angyfish you got # 1, since It would appear that Stieber tweeted fairly promptly last night (if I'm understanding the times).

You are very correct on #2. No reason that the medical issues shouldn't have been reported, and then been disseminated to fandom, just as promptly.

Well angyfish you got # 1, since It would appear that Stieber tweeted fairly promptly last night (if I'm understanding the times).

You are very correct on #2. No reason that the medical issues shouldn't have been reported, and then been disseminated to fandom, just as promptly.

I saw that tweet last night.  It was better than nothing.  It told us it was health, not missing weight, but more info that "health issue" should be shared, IMO.

This reminds me of when Oliver did not wrestle (suddenly) in the FS Universite's wrestle off. All kinds of rumors about not making weight were flying around.  Eventually it was learned that is was health issue with him too, but no real information was mae available.

Same deal with Stieber now.

One wonders. There might be some rules about who can comment on the health-related issues, but I don't know the ins-and-outs of it.

Regardless, at a minimum the news that the match was canceled, should have gone out on FLO and other blogs immediately at the direction of event officials.

You aren't due an apology, but you are due:

1. An explanation from Stiever or tOSU

or

2. Some decent reporting that reveals what really went on.

He is due neither and as you stated will get neither.  Logan Steiber has never shown or done anything other than win and dominate his whole career.  He has never backed down from anyone.

If he committed, showed up, and then weighed in he was planning on wrestling.  Obviously something is up with him.

This isn't some Big 10 dual where parties involved will meet 4-5 times in the last month. 

One wonders. There might be some rules about who can comment on the health-related issues, but I don't know the ins-and-outs of it.

Regardless, at a minimum the news that the match was canceled, should have gone out on FLO and other blogs immediately at the direction of event officials.

The NWCA runs the event.

Flo said it early in the event.

This is another reason why this sport fails to grow.  The teams/coaches disrepect the fans by not providing the type of information needed to keep us motivated to support the sport,  And the media is basically non-existent; what supposed journalists are out there do nothing more that parrot press releases provided by SIDs and USA Wresetling.  There is no real investigative journalism in wrestling.

This has little to do with growth of the sport, injuries/etc. happen in all sports. 

There is no real investigative reporting in anything these days. 

Just the usual internet speculation and "jump the gun" overreaction.