MSU158

If Stieber doesn't wrestle am I due an apology?

The NWCA runs the event.

Flo said it early in the event.

"A little birdie told me?" What's up with that?

How about an official announcement with attribution? It would begin something like "NWCA officials have informed us that....." An immediate announcement. 

Then perhaps this thread wouldn't have existed. Perhaps.

No question it wasn't handled very well.  I admit I posted the topic in a certain way for added affect.  Honestly I love the passion Ryan exudes.  If I was that level of wrestler I would definitely have him at the top of the list of who I would want to wrestle for.  Watching the video of him back stage at the NCAA tournament with McFarland and Russell in the background was priceless.  It was even better watching him Super Duck the Security guard after Stieber won.

This stuff just seems to happen too much under his watch and I truly believe some of it has been strategized.  Hell, I don't blame him.  ALL that matters in the current DI format is March.  If he thinks it is better to not wrestle a regular season match, no matter the reason, I really don't question his judgement.  My only argument has been, and continues to be the direct affect it has on the fans.

Edited by MSU158

I was there last night, it was a great night of wrestling. A few of the fans around me were bummed Stieber did not wrestle, as was my son and I. I did talk to one of the wrestlers who said Logan was very sick at the weigh ins, and no way could have wrestled.

"A little birdie told me?" What's up with that?

How about an official announcement with attribution? It would begin something like "NWCA officials have informed us that....." An immediate announcement. 

Then perhaps this thread wouldn't have existed. Perhaps.

FLO is just passing information along, again it isn't their responsibility to officially inform anyone on behalf of the NWCA.  Who knows who told him?? 

Who cares??

You are still not legally entitled to his health information.

So, yea, the thread would've popped up regardless.

A word from a wrestling writer...

Here's what I wrote in a 2014 article for InterMat titled "Matmen Behaving Badly?" about why we don't always know the whole story behind a situation involving a student-athlete...

"Students -- even athletes who are nationally recognized -- are protected from potential public humiliation or embarrassment by a federal law known as FERPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, which prohibits colleges and universities from releasing personally identifiable information derived from education records, including information regarding student disciplinary matters.

"FERPA is the reason that wrestling fans -- and wrestling writers -- don't always know the reasons for the departure of a college wrestler, whether it's a temporary suspension, or a permanent parting of the ways. Especially in cases that involve an on-campus situation, whatever it may be -- a coach benching a wrestler for failing to show up for practice, or failing a class, for example. Sometimes the truth is revealed later -- a wrestler returns to the team without any advance notice, or suddenly shows up on another campus. Or the wrestler reveals the story himself on Twitter or Facebook. However, under FERPA, the school itself is not to disclose disciplinary action taken against a student-athlete. If the student-athlete chooses to reveal the reasons for his or her absence, that's not a violation of FERPA."

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/articles/13301

One year ago, the college wrestling world was discussing the status of Ed Ruth -- why has he been suspended? The school would not say, for reasons stated above. However, once the State College police posted info on his DUI arrest online well into his 30-day suspension, then it was public knowledge.

We MAY learn more about the Stieber situation... but the official TOSU wrestling website ain't telling, nor any other news sources that I can find. At least as of Sunday afternoon.

Mark

Edited by ideamark

So so So many issues with this.....

Health Related? So this health related problem just popped up the day of weigh-ins? Blood where is shouldn't have been magically appeared? If that was the case why that same night was everything OK? 

The only person who could have informed medical personal about an issue would have to be the wrestler himself.... so if he made weight but the doc didn't clear him makes no sense..

So when did the DR. know about the issue?

So in the 1 hour ... he made weight, told the dr. about blood in stool, rushed him the ER, and then he was cleared AFTER the competition... ?

or

Was this an issue that was ongoing... the DR. knew about it... they were monitoring it.. he cut weight, made weight and then the Dr. didn't clear him?

It will be very interesting if they actually do end up wrestling on Feb. 15th... I would put good money down they don't.

So so So many issues with this.....

Health Related? So this health related problem just popped up the day of weigh-ins? Blood where is shouldn't have been magically appeared? If that was the case why that same night was everything OK? 

The only person who could have informed medical personal about an issue would have to be the wrestler himself.... so if he made weight but the doc didn't clear him makes no sense..

So when did the DR. know about the issue?

So in the 1 hour ... he made weight, told the dr. about blood in stool, rushed him the ER, and then he was cleared AFTER the competition... ?

or

Was this an issue that was ongoing... the DR. knew about it... they were monitoring it.. he cut weight, made weight and then the Dr. didn't clear him?

It will be very interesting if they actually do end up wrestling on Feb. 15th... I would put good money down they don't.

He has blood coming out of a bodily orifice and you are looking for what.....a more detailed explanation?  Isn't that enough?

I first read this as 'it protects the heel factor,' which gave me a lolz.

Was also bummed to have missed seeing the match, but glad dude'll be alright.

I don't think this preserves a seed as much as it protects the feel factor.  If they don't wrestle each other at the dual soon hereafter I wouldn't be surprised......

I honestly have no issue with the decision not to wrestle, regardless of the reason.  My issue is with the timing and how often it seems to happen with Ryan's wrestlers.  I know this isn't football and we don't get injury reports listing probable, questionable, doubtful and out.  However some form of prior notice would be nice since I know first hand that many fans pay, either online or live, to see certain match ups.

I truly like Ryan as a coach.  He seems incredibly passionate and loyal to his wrestlers.  As a wrestler he was a grinder and it appears he has grinded his way to possibly winning his first NCAA Team Championship this year.

This may very well have been out of both Ryan and Stieber's hands.  However, when the same thing keeps happening it is hard to keep calling it coincidental...........