Sign in to follow this  
MA_Wrestler

Clarion tournament?

I am always surprised at the travel wrestlers put in while having the added demands of dealing with their weight. Port weighed-in last night for the All-Star and then had a five hour trip to Clarion to wrestle today. I realize daylight savings gave an additional hour but that makes for an early morning either way. I recall Honeycutt making a similar trip back from Arizona for a match (maybe with Kent State).

Cleveland State at 125:  both were attached v. unattached.  There are 5 Cleveland State entrants in the opening round of 32.  Is it possible that the Cleveland State staff requested first round matchups to help with determining the starter at 125?

Bo Nickal just won his semi 11-2, into the final against an Edinboro kid. 

EDIT: Bo wins his final by a score of 4-2 with riding time point. Bo was wearing the kid out at the end with a tough ride per description found on PSU site. . 

Edited by TBar1977

Cleveland State at 125:  both were attached v. unattached.  There are 5 Cleveland State entrants in the opening round of 32.  Is it possible that the Cleveland State staff requested first round matchups to help with determining the starter at 125?

Cleveland State's starting 125 is national qualifier and clarion open champion Ben Willeford

Was at the Clarion Open ....thankfully Bo showed up (only PSU wrestler I could find).  From my point of view.

, Bo look good but like most frosh was finding it difficult to finish takedowns.  If he would have finished half of what he was in on he would have distanced himself from the pack.  Great penetration when he went!  Still very nice start to his career.

Hats off to Lehigh's Ryan Preisch. District 4 kid who never placed higher than 3rd at States and as a true freshman he wins the Clarion Open at 165 taking out the #1 seed 9-0 and then beating one of the top national recruits, Jon Jay Chavez, in the final. 

I am always surprised at the travel wrestlers put in while having the added demands of dealing with their weight. Port weighed-in last night for the All-Star and then had a five hour trip to Clarion to wrestle today. I realize daylight savings gave an additional hour but that makes for an early morning either way. I recall Honeycutt making a similar trip back from Arizona for a match (maybe with Kent State).

According to Devin Carter's twitter, he offered to wrestle Port at the All star meet after he learned that Stieber was out, but Port was already cutting weight for the Clarion Open.