Old_Marine_Wrestler

Danishek v Jordan @ MSU...

There are some terrific matches coming up at MSU. 

Micah v. Danishek 157 Freshmen

Bo vs. Massa 165 Open, assuming both win in semis. 

Kyle Snyder v. Phil Wellington in the 197 Open final, assuming both win in the semis. 

Joey Davis v. John Rizquallah at 184

Johnny Sebastian vs. Mark Martin in the 174 semis

125 semis are Thomasello vs. Zeke Moisey (I think they have wrestled before in a classic Ironman final) and Micic vs. Youtsey. Nice!

Micah v Danishek is exciting but hard to believe it's happening in the quarters of soph/frosh   It's like the type of matchup you see in international freestyle.  

OK, it is really coming up soon now. Second match in the cue on Mat 8.

I'm a buckeye fan but have no problem criticizing them when it's warranted.  Today...I am impressed.  Snyder, BoJo and Tomasello took out tough opponents with relative ease.  They score lots of bonus too.  Add them to the Stiebers and that's five very fine wrestlers.  If Martin, Demas, DiJulius, Tavanello and Courts can keep up, they're quite a team.  

Dang I do not see anyone beating Ohio State in a dual or at NCAA's. They are stacked and it is not even gonna be close. Sorry just had to say it.

They'll be favored in every dual at 197, 141. Those two weights are not in dispute. IMO, BoJo will beat the Iowa and Minnesota 165's.

Thomasello will beat Gilman imo, and he will surely beat the Minnesota 125. Hunter will crush the Iowa 149 and he will beat anyone Minnesota puts on the mat too.

Minnesota's only chance is to win everything else and Schiller has to beat Snyder. Ness and Storley probably have to win by pin.

Pretty much any big dual where any of Haines, Demas, Courts, Martin of Johnny DiJ score, they will win.

Edited by TBar1977

They'll be favored in every dual at 197, 141. Those two weights are not in dispute. IMO, BoJo will beat the Iowa and Minnesota 165's.

Thomasello will beat Gilman imo, and he will surely beat the Minnesota 125. Hunter will crush the Iowa 149 and he will beat anyone Minnesota puts on the mat too.

Minnesota's only chance is to win everything else and Schiller has to beat Snyder. Ness and Storley probably have to win by pin.

Pretty much any big dual where any of Haines, Demas, Courts, Martin of Johnny DiJ score, they will win.

Your first statement, why do you say 197 is not in dispute vs. Schiller?  There's enough evidence that there is NO dispute?

Mick was by far the more aggressive against Danishek.  In fact I believe Danisheks first shot came late in the 3rd when already down.

Danishek has good defense no doubt. 

Bo needs a haircut.  ;)

BoJo over Nick Moore is conceivable but not a given.  What is Massa's record against him??

Schiller should be the current favorite over Snyder at 197.  I like Snyder a lot and he may be better but until I see it I am not going to put the mortgage on it.  Schiller did just beat Cox BTW. 

Thomasello beat a true freshman in the finals.  Kid looks great but consider the competition.  Putting him on top of any 125'r in the top 4 is premature.  Can't wait to see it though.

It really isn't about the duals this year with the Bucks, and the crew you mentioned at the end have to put points up at the show.

Demas' win over Murphy is an important indication he is healthy and real threat to AA this season; and that's supposed to be one of tOSU's weaker weights, yikes!

However, he won because the ref called a BS push out of bounds.

Demas much more of a threat in neutral in that match than Murphy but HEALTH as you stated is the big point.

Your first statement, why do you say 197 is not in dispute vs. Schiller?  There's enough evidence that there is NO dispute?

Because, and this may be my opinion only, but Snyder is the better wrestler of the two. It is certainly possible that Schiller would beat him, but I wouldn't bet money on that. I don't care about "rankings". This is just my personal opinion. 

It's one weekend.  Dry yourself off.

Snyder beat a guy who went 1-2 at the NCAA tournament last year at a weight that has 6 of 8 returning AAs from last season, including the champion.  Lets have him beat an All-American before we go crazy.

And Gilman beat Tomasello two straight at the Junior WTT, so....

Anyway, here's how I see it:

Iowa-tOSU

125:  Iowa

133:  iowa

141:  tOSU MD

149:  tOSU (assuming Hunter wrestles...sat out again this weekend.)

157:  tOSU

165:  Toss up

174:  Iowa

184:  Iowa

197:  Toss up

HW:  Iowa

Minny-tOSU

125:  tOSU

133:  Minny

141:  tOSU

149:  tOSU

157:  Minny (Always a PIN potential)

165:  tOSU (maybe bonus...not sure who Minny is throwing out there)

174:  Minny

184:  Toss up

197:  Minny

HW:  Minny

Maybe we calm down before we call BoJo and Snyder the new Taylor & Ruth

Heading into yesterday's event, my big question about Snyder was how he'd wrestle on the mat.  Answer--just fine.  He's solid in both positions and had no problem dispatching 3 tough, experienced opponents.

Someone wrote that Tomasello would beat Gilman.  Gilman has consistently shown he can beat Tomasello albeit closely in freestyle.  Based on history, Gilman is favored in that one.  Tomasello looks terrific but he was whomping on young guys (although they are very good young guys...and he's also a young guy).

Bo Jordan showed yesterday that he is potentially one of the very best at 165.  Massa is a top 6 guy at 165 and Bo was able to control him en route to a solid win.  Dieringer remains the favorite without question and I'd pick him today.  But after AD, Bo has arguably the most complete skill set.  

Demas has improved his mat game and that makes a big difference.  However, Murphy is a countering fool and almost scored twice when Demas was in on deep shots.  If I were Michigan, my strategy next time would be to allow Demas to get in.

From what I can tell, Ohio State is missing a few pieces that in any other year of the national tournament big picture would put them back a few spots. But for some reason this year seems different. I still think Minnesota, Ohio State, and Iowa are the leaders on the national stage.

Who is Ohio State's starting 133 pound competitor? I have not heard of anything about this weight class going back to their wrestle-offs. Is Nick Tavanello their starting heavyweight? If so, he seems to have taken a step or two back from last year's NCAA tournament. (He was a round of 12 guy last year and pinned by a club team competitor at the MSU Open yesterday.)

Those are two glaring holes for a predicted champion team. But as my initial point stated, I still have Ohio State with Minnesota and Iowa.

After checking the schedules, it seems the fans of the Buckeyes will have nice dual meets to attend. Iowa and Minnesota travel to Ohio to wrestle.