Sign in to follow this  
WildWildWest

Need your opinion/thoughts/advice on early season training

I got a group of kids. The average years of wrestling experience is about 2 years. I about 3 studs on the team who are far above the rest. There are a lot of technical aspects we need to get down and master.

Is it better to take our time to get these core fundamental skills down for now?
Or should I be making them drill takes down till they're toes bleed and get them in shape?

Im not a fan of the old school, pedal to the medal 100% everyday. Is it wrong to **** down and break down the finer points of technique for an hour? It only takes so long to get into shape. 

Thoughts?

You can do both.  Take the time to have two sessions.  AM and PM.  Your AM session should be strength and conditioning, the afternoon session, wrestling.

Early season should focus on technique (not that you should stop progressing the rest of the season).  Heavy drilling.  About a week out from your first competition, lots of live wrestling for that "wrestling conditioning."

If you don't have the ability for two-a-days, you'll probably have to make your practices longer.

You can do both.  Take the time to have two sessions.  AM and PM.  Your AM session should be strength and conditioning, the afternoon session, wrestling.

Early season should focus on technique (not that you should stop progressing the rest of the season).  Heavy drilling.  About a week out from your first competition, lots of live wrestling for that "wrestling conditioning."

If you don't have the ability for two-a-days, you'll probably have to make your practices longer.

I dont believe in having practice any longer than two hours for high school kids. Kids these days cant stay focused that long. Two a days in high school is a little crazy for a whole season. 

I dont believe in having practice any longer than two hours for high school kids. Kids these days cant stay focused that long. Two a days in high school is a little crazy for a whole season.

How long/how often you do two-a-days is up to you. But in the beginning, trust me, it's a must. If you don't believe so, feel free to temper your expectations.

Edited by vhsalum

We had a similar situation at my HS. Coach kinda did both. Made sure that everyone had the basics down, but would work conditioning in every practice. Within about 2 hours, we'd spend 20 minutes warming up/stretching, 45 minutes drilling, 30 minutes live, 20 mins of conditioning, and 5 minutes for a water break. We were the best in shape in the league by far. The preseason saw less time doing live and more drilling (probably take 15 mins from live and add it to drilling). 

At the HS level, in a setting where most of your team didn't come through the Youth program (like in your situation), it is key to teach them how to wrestle before you can teach them how to be hammers. Out-conditioning will only get you so far if your kids get out-wrestled in the first period and fall into too deep of a hole. We weren't state champs or anything, but we were an above average team, I'd say.