Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

Dake Returns This Month at Global Wrestling Championships

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/2014/11/07/global-wrestling-organizer-seeks-change-sport/18626153/

Has anyone else heard about this? Seems like some pretty good bouts, along with a huge $10,000 prize win. For a best-of-five series of 3 minute periods, that seems pretty steep. Wonder how this will pan out, and if it will turn into anything. 

Thoughts?

Excited to see this and excited to hear of more opportunities for post-collegiate wrestlers to keep their careers alive. I think it's great to have Flo's product competing, but I don't like the various sets of rules floating around now for each promotion or event. Best of 5 3-minute freestyle matches is closer to international freestyle than Flo, so I like it better, but I wish there were a standard set of rules.

It just seems like these great ideas come in pairs. Agon and the event that Teague Moore started, Flo and Agon...

It would be nice if this works. It would be great to be able to give some incentive for our top athletes to continue to compete. Some fans are pretty cheap and complain about a $20.00 mth PPV. Not sure if wrestling fans would support this. The organizers will have to profit and the athletes need paid.

i really liked the acw tour teague put on but havent heard much recently outside of a little facebook post this week on the tours page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Association-of-Career-Wrestlers-Tour-ACW/374522095990401 it was really cool to see kocher back wrestling

is dake all of a sudden healthy after not being able to wrestle in the nyac?

Edited by BRGuy

i really liked the acw tour teague put on but havent heard much recently outside of a little facebook post this week on the tours page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Association-of-Career-Wrestlers-Tour-ACW/374522095990401 it was really cool to see kocher back wrestling

is dake all of a sudden healthy after not being able to wrestle in the nyac?

That's what I was thinking. I guess the prospects of a $10,000 prize can speed up the healing process a bit!

I heard rumors a lot of top athletes don't want anything to do with flowrestling but didn't give it much thought.  Maybe it is true?  Odd that they call Flow out like that.

Does this seem odd to anyone?  Two weeks away from what they are saying will be such a big event and they make a sudden announcement with no real info.  They don't even know who Dake will wrestle?  How can you not know who will wrestle two weeks out?  This thing just seems thrown together like agon.  Are these just some random add on matches to another event going on that day? 

Articles have mentioned that this is eventually to be a dual meet league. Is anyone familiar with the exact league format, especially regarding duals? What about weight classes, etc.?

I'd like to see something like this, though I can be convinced otherwise:

- NO ALL DAY EVENTS

- League consists of at least 8 teams (hopefully, eventually more)

- 2 teams only per meet (again, absolutely no all day events)

- Duals consist of 9 or 11 weight classes (I like odd numbers to break ties)

- Every point scored in a match counts toward team score (to make it more exciting, intuitive to watch); I might even count the points scored in a match prior to a pin.

- All teams round robin: once home/once away. You could have best record winning the team title, but I guess it would be better to have a "super bowl" at a neutral site with the two best teams. Not sure it works too well, though, until there are more teams.

- Individuals can wrestle more than one weight.

- No tech falls (If you're down by 50 points going into the last match, there's still the possibility that your guy could win by 51 points, thus winning the meet)

- Individual title bouts occur at end of season. Current title holder vs. next best guy. Same # of matches as a dual meet (unless you're gonna do best 3 out of 5 matches or something, which would make the event too long IMO)

EDIT: As much as I like freestyle, I'm not sure it's the best business decision. You wouldn't make it a greco league, obviously, because greco-roman isn't very popular in the U.S. But the same logic really applies to folkstyle vs. freestyle. You're basically alienating most former HS & college wrestlers, and most coaches for that matter, who do not understand freestyle any more than they do greco.

Edited by wnywrestling

professional dual meet wrestling is to wrestling what world team tennis is to tennis.

you can still have guys who train at the same gym and have the same sponsors be on the same team, but pro wrestling needs to be conducted as an individual sport. round robins and tournaments only, please. the fight cards are OK but it wastes the biggest advantage wrestling has over striking combat sports, ie the ability conduct multiple bouts in the same day. 

just my 2 cents. 

I have to disagree. I realize there are many who think that wrestling can find success like boxing or the UFC. But I really doubt it. There's only so many times per year I can watch Kyle Dake vs. whoever in a short "title" wrestling match. The only reason UFC people are mildly interested in following wrestling is to see which wrestlers might make good fighters.

I guess maybe we'll find out. That's seems to be what Flo is doing.... dudes in their underwear (essentially) grappling it out, pretending like it's the UFC.

I'd much rather have a home team I can get behind and follow, regardless of which superstars come and go. Iowa, Penn State, Oklahoma, & others have proven that this can work on a regional scale. With the right minds behind it, I think it can work nationally & professionally as well.

i dont think wrestling should follow in the path of boxing or UFC either. i think ideally wrestling would follow a tennis/golf/sumo format. 

and you'd still have teams, you just wouldn't have duals. duals are for college. pros should be all open and invite tourney and round robins. save the duals for the world cup if you absolutely must have teams competing by nationality.

but that's just in a fictional world with the help of a magic genie. i welcome any kind of professional set up that figures out a business model that allows athlete and organization to turn a profit. 

@USAWrestling: FLYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP – Tony Ramos dec. Sam Hazewinkel, 3 rounds to 0, 10-0 final score. (0-0, 2-0, 0-0, 4-0, 4-0) Global Wrestling

@USAWrestling: WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP – Kyle Dake dec. Andrew Howe, 1 round to 0, 2-0 final (2-0, 0-0, 0-0)

@USAWrestling: HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP – Tervel Dlagnev dec. Tyrell Fortune, 3 rounds to 0, 9-0 final (2-0, 3-0, 4-0)

anyone watch?  i asked all my wrestling buds figuring someone would have watched it but no won seemed to watch it.  was it any good?  is it the next best thing or just another flash and burn like agon?

i watched it. worth a look for 10 bucks. nice to see our top tier guys wrestling, unfortunately the matches weren't terribly exciting. but the stepout rule of in effect so at least we got handfighting instead of out of bounds scoreless restarts. had the sound off so no idea why ramos v haze and dlagnev v fortune were 5 periods and dake v howe was only 3. either way, 9 minutes is plenty. no reason for the 15 minute matches, at all. especially at heavyweight. 

but i love the idea that someone is paying guys to compete so i hope it continues. i'd just max the matches at 9 minutes. might also think about incentive money for pins and/or points. maybe a throw of the night bonus or something. 

on the plus side, purchasing the stream was a simple paypal transaction and i had no problem with the stream. they even let you run a test before hand to see if your comp and internet was able to handle the video. 

i had never heard of gfl.tv but looks like the sponsor a bunch of different internet ppv competitions so hopefully this is just the start. dont see any downside as long as the wrestlers are getting paid to wrestle. 

https://twitter.com/TakedownRadio/status/536264191321993216?p=v

There was some uncertainty after the third period of the Dake vs Howe match but apparently they had a special agreement with Dake. I don't think I heard it mentioned until the second period in the broadcast when they said it would be best of three rather than best of five. But admittedly I didn't look for any info this past week on the event. Dake looks good but he is clearly trying to get his conditioning back after taking time off.

It was great to see wrestlers making money.

I was surprised by the matches wrestled before the showcase matches. When the releases said TMWC vs FLWC, I was under the impression they were the youth wrestlers not the SR level athletes. The first five matches had some big names that were a nice bonus. Not sure if I missed the announcement listing those matchups or if they never announced them in advance but I have to figure it would have attracted more interest with those other guys listed too.

Big weekend at Ithaca. Koll has created a nice wrestling ecosystem.

(Mobile)

Not shocked Dake finds one oppertunity to score and then can use how the rules are set up to shut down scoring the rest of the time. That's been a constant of his even with a solid gas tank. I'd like to see him in a few freestyle rules matches again (where current rules prevent shutdown style) vs. some top guys to see where he is at physically and style wise at this time.

Edited by MadMardigain