Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

Dake Returns This Month at Global Wrestling Championships

Yeah, I purchased it the day before for $6.95, and it was worth it. Glad to see these guys get paid and hopefully this will keep growing.

Not complaining, just 2 cents here, but I agree with others, and thought the matches were too long with not enough scoring. Thank goodness for the stepout rule, and I agree with Jaroslav, perhaps bonus incentives for scoring x amount of points, or pins, or whatever. Also, found the running clock interesting.

Appears the Global people are intent on having no tech falls. Perhaps I'm in the minority on this, but I sort of like the tech fall, as I feel it creates more motivation for wrestlers to dominate, score, and win the match. Yes, a 7 point tech was ridiculous as it ended matches way too prematurely IMO, but I'm ok with 10 (like international freestyle), and I'd be fine with a 15 point tech as well. C'mon, you go up 15 points on your opponent, and 99/100 you're the better wrestler, plus you just gave the fans 15 points of offensive fireworks. What's wrong with that?

Again, I don't mind a few rules tweeks here and there, but I'd prefer to see this as consistent with international freestyle rules as possible. Look at the freestyle matches over the past 2 years or so - lots of scoring with exciting matches all the time. Although they used "freestyle" rules yesterday, it almost felt like I was watching folkstyle wrestling.

Finally, (and I never, ever thought I would say this), but I now like freestyle so much more than folkstyle. Not even close.

2 more cents, would rather see normal match time (2 three minute periods), but then have best of 3 or 5 series. Heck if you want to win the World Championship, you have to be ready to win 5 matches that day, right?  Sort of the same thing for the belt. Just sayin.

.Again, overall enjoyed the event. 

I told you in the greco thread these hand picked matches are all political! All that matters is who you're connected to! This thing was all about Dake. They didn't even know who would wrestle him when they announced the event two weeks ago. Marable or Howe? Doesn't matter who is thrown out there bc it about Dake. Thought it was best of five? I mean best of three. I mean best score. Yup. No surprise they changed the rules just for Dake. Special rules for one wrestler is just what a global championships needs! Change the rules so that your prize boy can get paid. This thing is mickey mouse.

how does the scoring and rounds work?  tought you had to win 3 out of 5 but dake only won 1

Good question, there was some confusion about the ending of Dake/Howe.  It was fueled when Howe (on the mike) said that he would like to continue.  What he should have added is what was stated clearly in the program.. It said that the Dake/Howe match would be a maximum of three periods.  Steven Boyd announced that to everyone from the mat although it was after the match was over. It was primarily because Dake has not competed in 10 (?) months.

It was clear that Dake, the referee and coaches in both corners knew the rules for that match. They shook hands immediatley after the third period.  I can't speak for Howe only to say I am sure that since he was losing he naturally wanted the match to continue no matter what they had agreed to.   I agree it was a bit awkward.

I also think that five three minute periods is a  mistake, especially with the big guys.