Sign in to follow this  
okiespike

Okie State wrestle offs

So I read a little detail from someone on Okie State wrestling board about the wrestle offs. So Marsteller lost 2 matches and gassed. I have been saying 157 is too much of a cut for him from the start. Wrestling strong at 170 his last two years of high school , no way he should be at 157. I could care less if a week later he beats Blees and Koo, he is not beating Collica at 157.

Crazy but it sounds like Heil and Klimara were handled quite easily. 

Coach Smith's break down preview of the weight classes 11/5/14 http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/110514aaa.html

157 pounds

“We have a list of several guys, but the one guy that could be coming out of the gate for us is Keilan Torres, the redshirt freshman from Altus, Okla. We do have a slew of guys—true freshmen—that could make this weight class interesting. So this is a weight class, again, that is going to take some time to iron out and see who emerges at the weight class.”

Marstellar's biggest issue is the standards that have been set for him by the public as a true freshman.  Even the most talented of incoming freshman usually need to eat a serving of humble pie before they can flourish.  My guess is he will flourish if he can ignore the media, listen to his coach (who has better advice for him than anybody on this fourm) and just embrace his college experience one day at a time.  ONe thing is for sure, if his attitude is right, he is going to get much better over the next few years.

Wow... ALL that hype over Marsteller coming into the season.  All we heard on these boards were "he's the next 4x champ!", "can't wait for the BoJo / Marsteller matchup!", etc. etc. etc... College wrestling... the grind of it, is completely different than High School... I wish Chance luck, just as I wish all wrestlers luck.  He'll be fine over time, or... he won't... and he'll rest his shoes in the center of the mat... 

Superman couldn't have lived up to this hype.  Let Smith coach him for a year, and you will all be happy with him.  If he doesn't get in the lineup this year, he needs to redshirt for a year anyway if he is going to do this for five years.  The kid will be fine.