Sign in to follow this  
Sheerstress

Michigan 2014 Intrasquad dual notes

Michigan 2014 Intrasquad Dual Notes

125:  Conor Youtsey maj. dec. Cory Lester: 12-2

133:  Rossi Bruno dec. George Fisher: 5-0

Youtsey and Bruno basically coasted to easy decisions over their backups.

141:  Steve Dutton dec. Zac Hall:  6-0

Hall makes the matchup somewhat interesting, being difficult for Dutton to score upon throughout the match.  Dutton gets takedowns on counters to two attempts by Hall, an escape and RT.  Hall is outclassed at this point, but looks like he has a good future.

149:  Angelo Latora  dec. Alec Pantaleo: 9-3

Pantaleo is in on a good attempt against Latora in the first period when he wrenches his neck and gives up the TD.  This seems to throw him off for the rest of the match, as Latora then gets an escape after the injury timeout is over, and two more takedowns , one in the first and then another in the second period.  

Pantaleo escapes, and then chooses down to start the third, and reverses with about a minute left.  Too little time to get anything else, and Latora adds RT for the win.

157:  Brian Murphy dec. Jake Salazar: 4-0

Salazar seems in better shape than he was this time last year, but just cannot score against Murphy.

165:  Garrett Sutton dec. Aaron Calderon:  10-4  [exhibition match]

Massa is present at the meet, but another backup takes his place against Sutton, so it looks like the former is going unopposed. Sutton does most of the work in this match.

174:  Davonte Mahomes maj. dec. Ben Ralson: 20-9

Newcome Mahomes looks impressive against veteran backup Ralston, putting on a takedown clinic.

184:  Jeff Holm dec.  Ayoola Olapo: 4-1

A workingman’s decision by one backup over another.

197:  Max Huntley dec. Chris Heald: 10-3

Heald, who’s held the 197 spot for the past two seasons, is outclassed by Huntley, who decided to move back up for this season.

HWT:  Adam Coon maj. dec. Payne Hayden: 19-6

Coon all the way.

Rubber Matches:

149:  Alec Pantaleo dec.Angelo Latora: 12-5    

This time Pantaleo scores immediately in the first period, and then twice more after letting Latora up.  The last one is a pancake at the edge of the mat for which he picks up two NF.

Latora, a pretty solid wrestler, has enough strength and experience to make true freshman Pantaleo work for his points, but succumbs to Pantaleo’s great movement and countering ability.

I liked what I saw in Pantaleo, with a familiar style of wrestling present in his movement and control.  He would probably be better off taking a redshirt year, but has a bright future with the program.

184:  Ayoola Olapo dec. Jeff Holm 10-5

As close a match as you can get until Olapo takes Holm to his back in the second OT period.

Right now the lineup seems to be as follows:

125:  Youtsey

133:  Bruno

141:  Dutton

149:  Pantaleo

157:  Murphy

165:  Massa

174:  Mahomes

184:  Olapo

197:  Huntley

HWT:  Coon

The biggest downer is that Jordan Thomas appears to be done.  He re-injured a problem shoulder earlier this year, and after a lot of thinking, decided to call it a career.  Too bad, I was really looking forward to seeing him compete this year.

Dominic Abounader somehow didn't wrestle today but WILL be back before long.

No other real surprises with this dual.  A great cast with solid competitors at eight weight classes has me the most stoked about this season as any in recent memory.  Lately, we’ve been starting a lot of freshmen, and while I wasn’t expecting it this year, Pantaleo and Mahomes are looking very sharp.  We’ll see how it all plays out.

Edited by Sheerstress

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Tzk0phc4Q

Pantaleo was(high school) and will be(DI) really good.  Due to a broken hand his junior year and what many say was too much of a cut as a freshman, he only wrestled at States 2x.  He was undefeated until the finals as a senior in 2014 getting "caught" by Malik Amine and pinned in 34 seconds.  He was a state champion as a Sophomore beating Malik 9-6 in the Finals.

I attached the finals match above:

I noticed Sean Boyle gained a sixth year of eligibility and is now at UTC. He gave Joey Dance all he could handle in the finals of the Hokie Open before getting caught in a cradle to lose at the buzzer. He looked pretty good.

What is his story? Couldn't make the team at Michigan? Graduated and decided to pursue graduate courses elsewhere?

I don't think they or UofM want their rivalry to continue any further.  They are both at UofM and are currently in the same weight class.  They have a lot of time to shift weights around but they are currently listed at the same weight.  Hopefully they find a way for both to make the lineup.

I noticed Sean Boyle gained a sixth year of eligibility and is now at UTC. He gave Joey Dance all he could handle in the finals of the Hokie Open before getting caught in a cradle to lose at the buzzer. He looked pretty good.

What is his story? Couldn't make the team at Michigan? Graduated and decided to pursue graduate courses elsewhere?

I saw that too.  Sean looked great.  Good speed, takedowns, scrambling but it just looks like Dance (and maybe the other top 125s) still look bigger/more muscular.  

He placed at the B1G's a couple times and was close to AA at least once as well... I hope he makes All American this year!

I don't know what the whole story is on Sean, although he and Youtsey were very even over the past two years.  He narrowly got edged out for the starting spot last year.  I hope it all works out for him at Chattanooga; he's certainly got all the tools to make the podium.