Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Marsteller a stunner... or not really?

I am not a serious student of Chance Marsteller, so I am not sure what to make of the fact that CM just lost not one, but two wrestle-offs, including one to a fellow true freshman, Ryan Blees, who is also very heralded, and to a fairly unheralded redshirt fresmhman, Chris Koo, a no-time state champion from the posh suburb of Great Neck, NY.  Neither match was close.  

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/110814aaa.html

A lot of folks on these boards think Marsteller is cutting too much weight at 157. This seems right. After all, when CM won his first state title in Pennsylvania, he bear Lorenzo Thomas at 152. Thomas was a senior, but still had a lot of growing to do. Last year he was an an All-American for Penn at 184. Marsteller is now back at his high school freshman weight!

Marsteller did win the the Oklahoma City Open, placing ahead of Koo and Blees, so maybe the wrestle-offs were a fluke. Or maybe Marsteller is bored.  Like a lot of high school superstars, he seems that way in interviews, and even on the mat at times.

Several recent superstars out of the Keystone state-- Marshall Peppelman and the Alton brothers-- have been underwhelming in college. CM, though, was always billed as in a class by himself. 

While I'm rather surprised by the wrestle-off results, I think we need more information before jumping to conclusions.  It may be a little early to suggest that Marsteller's at the wrong weight or that he may not live up to everyone's expectations based on his being a 4x undefeated PA AAA champ. 

Meanwhile, John Smith says that neither Marsteller, Koo or Blees is the guy at 157.  He says he is looking at another RS Frosh  Keilan Torres, a three-time OK state champ. But Torres lost in wrestle-offs, too, to Anthony Collica.

Looks to me like some of these guys should transfer since none can hope to move up to 165 this year or even next.

I think the only thing that is 100% certain is that Oklahoma State has a lot of talent in that 157 to 165 weight range. As far as Chance specifically goes, I am in the not enough information camp. Some posts from the Ok State folks who sounded in the know said that Chance was struggling with the weight, but others disagree. If they don't know, then it would be hard for us on the outside to know.

A few thoughts on Chance:

1. It's still early in his college career, perhaps red shirting and/or bumping up a weight could help him out. His chances (no pun intended) of beating Dieringer next season are slim, but he could have three solid years after that possibly if he does improve. 

2. Even at the end of his career he was having some difficult matches against good opponents. He almost lost to Wierchok (sure I'm butchering his name) his junior year, so he has been pushed even in HS.

3. The guy has suffered a lot (relatively) of injuries in the last several years. Perhaps there were more issues than most of us knew or thought.

On a personal note, I never believed that Chance would live up to his hype. I thought Bo Jordan was a better wrestler even in HS, even without doing the national/international level events like Chance. I was one of a few to think this way, but I think it's going to keep on showing now. Best of luck to him, I hope he proves me wrong. But I just don't see him being a multi-time national champ contender.

On a personal note, I never believed that Chance would live up to his hype.

If he earns All-American status twice would that be living up to the hype or would only winning a title be good enough? 

Super Frosh vs. Super Frosh comparison... Super Quick and easy...

1.) Marsteller:  Can't even make his own team

2.) Kyle Snyder:  Just beat a Top 10 guy at his weight... handily...

Pre-College hype is great... I think everyone put Marsteller in a class that he had no 'chance' at ever living up to.  He'll end up being 'fine', but by no means is he 'ready' to be proclaimed the next Kyle Dake.

If he earns All-American status twice would that be living up to the hype or would only winning a title be good enough? 

Honestly, I think anything less than 4x AA would be a bit of a disappointment based on the hype. I think 4x AA + 2x NCAA champ would be right for how he's been discussed,

I'd say that anticipating anything more than 3x AA out of anyone just means that you need to bring your expectations in line with reality.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a fair expectation for anyone, but that's what I think many have come to expect from top high school recruits, especially one of the most highly touted recruits in the last decade.

There is the answer, but what is the question? :)

Well done, sir. :)

To put it in jeopardy form, "How does 'a no-time state champion from the posh suburb of Great Neck, NY.' in Chris Koo throttle one of the most heralded high school recruits in the last decade during a team wrestle off in Chance Marstellar?"

It's definitely not fair but it wasn't that long ago there was a big discussion on here about him and at least one person said he would have been a high AA as a high school sophomore, listing some AA's they knew he would beat (I think Molinaro was one).  Almost impossible to live up to hype like that.   And it has nothing to do with the kid, just how people were talking about him.  Knocking the hype is not knocking the kid or his abilities, just other people's unrealistic expectations.

Edited by sbdude

I seem to recall David Taylor being third in the depth chart his first season. A lot of kids lose wrestle-offs--even returning All-Americans. Winning a college open in your first outing is an accomplishment. He will do fine.

It's true, Taylor lost to Cyler Sanderson. But Cyler was a returning AA, not a redshirt frosh from Great Neck!

So people there said Chance gassed, I also read that it has nothing to do with the weight loss. So what is going on here? I am confused and do not believe for one second  his performance has nothing to do with the weight loss. Sure I will wait and see how this plays out, I would also love to see some video footage of him soon at 157 if he plans to stay at this weight.

For me I hope he just redshirts and wrestles 165 for the year. 

.. this thread isn't worth the gigabytes its written on .....

I am in complete agreement.  I have never met the kid.  I have watched some of his matches and it is clear he is an enormous talent.  He has put himself in a perfect situation to maximize his enormous talent.  He could have started right away in many programs.  He chose to pick a top program.  Sometimes you have to wait your turn.  It is amazing that so many don't get that.

He didn't create his superman image.  The media, like the people on this forum, did this.  He is just a kid trying to be the best he can be.  Many of us on the forum have been right there in that spot, trying to be the best we could be.  It is what makes this sport so special - the individual quest for excellence..  It has ups and downs, but you learn to get back up.  It saddens me that 1) so many on this thread didn't get to experience that for themselves or 2) they have forgotten.

I have been there and done that.  The first thing you learn is not to read the paper, the rankings, or the forums.  This is why.  In this sport, it doesn't matter what others think,   It only matters what your think.  The purpose of this forum is not to discourage 18 year old kids.  Forums are great, but sometimes they have a way of turning good people into cowards.  It is shameful that adults would say such cruel things from behind their computers.  Sometimes I wish you would have to sign you name behind a post instead of hiding behind your anonymity

.. this thread isn't worth the gigabytes its written on .....

While the overreactions may eventually rocket this thread into the gigabyte domain it's safe to say we are still just in the kilobyte phase of typed characters at the moment.

(I figured I'd start a more useful conversation here)

Edited by MadMardigain