Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Marsteller a stunner... or not really?

I was at the Open over the weekend in New York and I was involved in a conversation with individuals in the know about big time division 1 college wrestling.   I for one am VERY concerned about Chance and his chances going forward.   I wont be the one to reveal the real reason he shunned Cael or why it's believed he's currently struggling in the room in Stillwater, but I will say it has to do with his focus.   

From all accounts he's a good kid who works hard and clearly has a world of talent.  But that isn't enough.  You have to also have the mental part of it in perspective and put it all together.   

This kid could end up never making the starting team and be out of school altogether.  Or he could buckle down and get it together and go on to a magnificent career.   I'm hoping he gets it together.   

Chasden, at least you can't call out people for calling Chance a Chicken. Although Chicken Chance has a certain ring to it.

I am telling you I have read from different people from various websites saying Zain and Nico are running from their competition this year by redshirting. Nico is avoiding Garrett and Delgado, and Zain is avoiding Logan. I used the word "chicken". Of course most knowledgeable fans know that is not true, it is mainly super fans from another college who hate PSU. 

Anyway Chance is certainly no chicken, but definitely not the smartest move to make a drop to 157 IMHO. He should just wrestle strong at a comfortable weight where he can keep his strength and energy. I mean he wrestled 170 his last two years of high school, and he expects to drop all that weight and be successful? I am sorry I just do not get it.

Crazy that there is like 3 threads on the front page about Marsteller. I know very little about him personally, but I sure hope he will be okay. Kid has so much pressure on him.

Edited by Chasden

I was at the Open over the weekend in New York and I was involved in a conversation with individuals in the know about big time division 1 college wrestling.   I for one am VERY concerned about Chance and his chances going forward.   I wont be the one to reveal the real reason he shunned Cael or why it's believed he's currently struggling in the room in Stillwater, but I will say it has to do with his focus.   

From all accounts he's a good kid who works hard and clearly has a world of talent.  But that isn't enough.  You have to also have the mental part of it in perspective and put it all together.   

This kid could end up never making the starting team and be out of school altogether.  Or he could buckle down and get it together and go on to a magnificent career.   I'm hoping he gets it together.   

This is pretty much what I've heard as well. I hope it works out for him. By all accounts he is a good kid that can hopefully work through the issues.

If this is the case then I think OKst is a good place for him to work on his "issues".  John Smith and staff have shown they can help in this regard.  Kindig struggled similarly upon his arrival in Stillwater...and seems to have turned the corner and is now reaching his full potential. Cayle Byers is another recent case that comes to mind....OKst turned out to be a good move for him.

Anyway Chance is certainly no chicken, but definitely not the smartest move to make a drop to 157 IMHO. He should just wrestle strong at a comfortable weight where he can keep his strength and energy. I mean he wrestled 170 his last two years of high school, and he expects to drop all that weight and be successful? I am sorry I just do not get it.

Marsteller isn't the first wrestler to go to OSU and go down a few weights from what he wrestled in HS so I wouldn't presume its not a smart move just yet we'll just have to wait and see though his wrestle off results aren't good for the standards that have been set for him

PS Chance started his junior year at 170 and finished it at 160

Edited by NYWRESTLER94

I think david taylor lost his first wrestleoff(s).

Look what happened to him?

Moral of the story is that Chase will lose to Dake.

I wouldn't be so sure.  History has taught us time and time again... Dake almost always loses hypothetical matches.

Marsteller isn't the first wrestler to go to OSU and go down a few weights from what he wrestled in HS so I wouldn't presume its not a smart move just yet we'll just have to wait and see though his wrestle off results aren't good for the standards that have been set for him

PS Chance started his junior year at 170 and finished it at 160

Thanks man. You are correct. I forgot he dropped because he wanted to beat Peppelman, which he did pretty bad. 

Lol. Oh yeah the guy he already beat coming off a bad injury when he was not even in wrestling shape? Yeah sure he was running from him. SMH. 

stop with the not in wrestling shape. chance didn't miss a single match that year. powerade is a month into the season and chance had wrestled every match they had going into the tournament.

He sat in PA, far from Nickal, Hall, and Valencia for two years. I don't think its unfair to assume he doesn't chase down competition. 

Yeah and those three chased him down. Sure wish he would have wrestled Bo at dapper dan though. Keep on trolling. It's humorous. 

stop with the not in wrestling shape. chance didn't miss a single match that year. powerade is a month into the season and chance had wrestled every match they had going into the tournament.

Lol. Yeah exactly so he was not in peak shape yet. So he had less than a month(20 days) of tech falling and pinning scrubs in a period. Yeah sure that really had him primed to wrestle a fellow stud who was in better shape than Chance at the time. People are so oblivious and I wonder if they even ever wrestled or trained for anything. So while Cody all summer was wrestling and staying active, Chance was resting and rehabbing an injury. Sure Cody wrestled a great match that day, but if they would have wrestled in states, Chance would have beat him handily. I am not trying to make excuses for Chance, I am just simply stating he was not at his best at that tourney. 

Zain Retherford beat Logan Stieber last year at rec hall the first time they met. Zain wrestled out of his mind that day, but even a PSU fan like me KNOWS Stieber was not at his best that day. It happens to everyone. I ain't gonna sit here and say Logan was fine, just because I hate Ohio State. I know something was not right with him that day. I am not taking anything away from Zain either, it is just a fact Logan was not 100% that day. And the following two times they met I believe proves it.

Lol. Yeah exactly so he was not in peak shape yet. So he had less than a month(20 days) of tech falling and pinning scrubs in a period. Yeah sure that really had him primed to wrestle a fellow stud who was in better shape than Chance at the time. People are so oblivious and I wonder if they even ever wrestled or trained for anything. So while Cody all summer was wrestling and staying active, Chance was resting and rehabbing an injury. Sure Cody wrestled a great match that day, but if they would have wrestled in states, Chance would have beat him handily. I am not trying to make excuses for Chance, I am just simply stating he was not at his best at that tourney. 

Zain Retherford beat Logan Stieber last year at rec hall the first time they met. Zain wrestled out of his mind that day, but even a PSU fan like me KNOWS Stieber was not at his best that day. It happens to everyone. I ain't gonna sit here and say Logan was fine, just because I hate Ohio State. I know something was not right with him that day. I am not taking anything away from Zain either, it is just a fact Logan was not 100% that day. And the following two times they met I believe proves it.

i did compete and train at a relatively high level so save your bs for someone else. wiercioch's length was where chance struggled. he couldn't finish. the problem with your argument is that chance made some bs excuse to avoid 170 in the post season. when he goes to 160: if he says it's his best weight class, i am ok with it. when he claims to have a dislike for peppelman and want to beat him he looks so fake. the following year he is high-fiving him coming on and off the mat. wouldn't it have been a bigger accomplishment to stop a wrestler going for his 3rd title, not his 2nd?  

zain and logan have nothing to do with chance and cody.... chance had an opportunity to solidify his win at powerade and he chose to wrestle a different weight. we will never know. 

Edited by sockobuw

i did compete and train at a relatively high level so save your bs for someone else. wiercioch's length was where chance struggled. he couldn't finish.

I guess Chance never beat a taller wrestler in high school, never mind his record was something like 160-0 plus he won a dozen or so free style tournaments. In h.s. Chance drilled Brett Pfarr, Minnesota's current 184. Brett is a nice wrestler, and he was much taller than Chance when they wrestled. Lorenzo Thomas was a college AA last year. He too was much taller than Chance when Chance beat him. 

Chance has beaten loads of taller wrestlers. Why you guys feel some irrational need to pick that him amazes me.