Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Marsteller a stunner... or not really?

I guess Chance never beat a taller wrestler in high school, never mind his record was something like 160-0 plus he won a dozen or so free style tournaments. In h.s. Chance drilled Brett Pfarr, Minnesota's current 184. Brett is a nice wrestler, and he was much taller than Chance when they wrestled. Lorenzo Thomas was a college AA last year. He too was much taller than Chance when Chance beat him. 

Chance has beaten loads of taller wrestlers. Why you guys feel some irrational need to pick that him amazes me. 

the relevance to wiercioch match is? follow the thread and my problem with the argument. he had been wrestling live matches from the beginning of the season that year. 

Yeah and those three chased him down. Sure wish he would have wrestled Bo at dapper dan though. Keep on trolling. It's humorous. 

They wrestled in dozens of national tournaments. He didn't. Short of transferring to PA there wasn't much they could do. I

Why did you contribute to my argument right before claiming i was a troll?

Marstellar with a 6-2 win over Koo. I only got to watch the third period, but Chance did not impress the same way he did in HS. He got in on shots several times and just laid there. Not sure if he is having gas tank issues, or just thought it was easier to coast at that point. Either way, in official matches I believe he is still undefeated, correct?

Marstellar with a 6-2 win over Koo. I only got to watch the third period, but Chance did not impress the same way he did in HS. He got in on shots several times and just laid there. Not sure if he is having gas tank issues, or just thought it was easier to coast at that point. Either way, in official matches I believe he is still undefeated, correct?

Not many True Fresh impress like they did in HS...especially when wrestling a teammate who probably knows his style pretty well. 

i did compete and train at a relatively high level so save your bs for someone else. wiercioch's length was where chance struggled. he couldn't finish. the problem with your argument is that chance made some bs excuse to avoid 170 in the post season. when he goes to 160: if he says it's his best weight class, i am ok with it. when he claims to have a dislike for peppelman and want to beat him he looks so fake. the following year he is high-fiving him coming on and off the mat. wouldn't it have been a bigger accomplishment to stop a wrestler going for his 3rd title, not his 2nd?  

zain and logan have nothing to do with chance and cody.... chance had an opportunity to solidify his win at powerade and he chose to wrestle a different weight. we will never know. 

Boy, the hate is strong early & often for Chance.  Guess that's what happens when he decides to go somewhere other than PSU.  I've never heard the kid make excuses for avoiding anyone.  Jesus, he's wrestled all over the world...why would he avoid any HS wrestler?  Regarding the match with Cody:  He was 1 month into his season, having wrestled a couple of easy district matches (no Super 32).  There is no way that prepares you to wrestle a Top 5 kid in the country.  Plus, this was a home match for Cody. 

The kid had a very tough home life, living away from his parents during his senior season.  The fact that he was still able to do what he did is pretty remarkable in my opinion.  I have no idea how he will do in college, but if he keeps his head on straight...I have to imagine he is in the thick of things for the next several years. 

The hate for Chance is due to: (please select)

1.  Bailed on PSU and therefore is a traitor

2.  He's from Pa.  Pa wrestling fans overdue it

3.  He is short.  Short people got no reason to live

4.  Ginger's are evil

5.  Superold is spot-on with his technique critique of CM

To answer Tightwaist,

I definitely am interested in Marstellar because he has a lot of thoughtless fans who deserve to be antagonized, and they are easy to spot because they accuse anyone who doesn't prop up his legend of being mean spirited, which no one is.

He just gets a little backlash because his reputation seemed overinflated. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

Boy, the hate is strong early & often for Chance.  Guess that's what happens when he decides to go somewhere other than PSU.  I've never heard the kid make excuses for avoiding anyone.  Jesus, he's wrestled all over the world...why would he avoid any HS wrestler?  Regarding the match with Cody:  He was 1 month into his season, having wrestled a couple of easy district matches (no Super 32).  There is no way that prepares you to wrestle a Top 5 kid in the country.  Plus, this was a home match for Cody. 

The kid had a very tough home life, living away from his parents during his senior season.  The fact that he was still able to do what he did is pretty remarkable in my opinion.  I have no idea how he will do in college, but if he keeps his head on straight...I have to imagine he is in the thick of things for the next several years. 

The hate for Chance is due to: (please select)

1.  Bailed on PSU and therefore is a traitor

2.  He's from Pa.  Pa wrestling fans overdue it

3.  He is short.  Short people got no reason to live

4.  Ginger's are evil

5.  Superold is spot-on with his technique critique of CM

i directly stated the actions i disliked and somehow they didnt make your list. i dont dislike chance marsteller, i disliked his statements about why he went to 160lbs his junior year. i also really dislike when fans come on the boards and fish for excuses why kids don't perform well that have no basis. how do kids ever prepare for the ironman? no national competition for a month leading up to it and no big duals. i can't believe some of them are ready to wrestle, and if they draw a walsh kid.... forgetabouit.

"Boy, the hate is strong early & often for Chance.  Guess that's what happens when he decides to go somewhere other than PSU." 

Except not a single Penn State fan on this msg. board has said one thing about Chance that isn't positive. It is everyone else EXCEPT PENN STATE FANS that are hating on Marstellar. They do it for a variety of reasons, some of which are being acknowledged in this thread.

The Penn State fans I have seen post wish nothing but the best for Chance. 

Edited by TBar1977

One thing I always wonder about when it comes to true freshman is how is it that some are ready to beat the best the NCAA has to offer right off the bat (Schlatter is perhaps the best example of this, but there are plenty of others such as Cox, Dake, Zain), while others who were just as, if not more, credentialed in high school seem to have such of rough transition.

Is it that guys like Schlatter were that much better as high school seniors than guys like Marsteller (no disrespect intended) and we just didn't recognize it? Or is it that Schlatter, Zain, etc improved exponentially fast upon arrival at college?

Or is it something else altogether such as Schlatters style and attributes being more effective against physically mature opponents than Chance's despite both of their styles being equally effective against less physically mature opponents.

Like I said, not trying to slight Chance here. Just trying to make sense of how some blue chip recruits are ready to go from day one where as others have strep hills to climb.

Edited by BigRedMachine

One thing I always wonder about when it comes to true freshman is how is it that some are ready to beat the best the NCAA has to offer right off the bat (Schlatter is perhaps the best example of this, but there are plenty of others such as Cox, Dake, Zain), while others who were just as, if not more, credentialed in high school seem to have such of rough transition.

Is it that guys like Schlatter were that much better as high school seniors than guys like Marsteller (no disrespect intended) and we just didn't recognize it? Or is it that Schlatter, Zain, etc improved exponentially fast upon arrival at college?

Or is it something else altogether such as Schlatters style and attributes being more effective against physically mature opponents than Chance's despite both of their styles being equally effective against less physically mature opponents.

Like I said, not trying to slight Chance here. Just trying to make sense of how some blue chip recruits are ready to go from day one where as others have strep hills to climb.

I doubt we will ever know. I think there are just too many variables. Look at the P4P every year and how they do in college. Their results are all over the map, aren't they? Observers obviously have a hard time predicting it all out as wrestlers transition from teen agers to men. 

15-2 final over torres. Wow. Did he throw his challenge matches on purpose to get a RS year? I'm being somewhat facetious, but these results tell a much different story than his challenges did... Good day for Chance.