Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Are we the Pac-12 of International Wrestling?

Compared to the Big 10 (Russia).  I'm in California, and last year at the Pac 12's some refs were saying they were waiting for the real wrestling to happen in the Big 10's and how basically they didn't know how to wrestle very well in the Pac 12.  This made me think about the comparisons.  The Pac 12 always has a few studs, but overall, doesn't dominate at the NCAA's (just like the USA in the world championships).  In the Big 10, someone who places 5th is often times till a title threat (like Russia's number 5).  I'm sure the comparisons can go on and on. 

I wouldn't say PAC-12, per say. This year's Senior Team hit a bit of a rut, but we've been a pretty solid staple for a top 5 placement. Also, we always make the World Cup (Top 10 nations). I'd say we're more comparable to the EIWA - solid, if maybe a bit inconsistent, but definitely always in the fight for the top spots.

.....some wrestling members of the PAC-12 appear to be happy little "club" teams- cute little web site gimmicks and an emphasis on social media exposure- safe havens for mediocre coaches who toe the administrative line(s)- but contrary to the competitive nature of the sport of wrestling .........

.....some wrestling members of the PAC-12 appear to be happy little "club" teams- cute little web site gimmicks and an emphasis on social media exposure- safe havens for mediocre coaches who toe the administrative line(s)- but contrary to the competitive nature of the sport of wrestling .........

what does this even mean? college coaches should have a confrontational relationship with their administrators because wrestling is a competitive sport? do coaches of other sports listen to their administrators because their sports aren't competitive? whats a cute web site gimmick? you mean like a twitter feed? is it bad to have a "happy" team? should all wrestling teams be miserable all the time? im so very confused. 

what does this even mean? college coaches should have a confrontational relationship with their administrators because wrestling is a competitive sport? do coaches of other sports listen to their administrators because their sports aren't competitive? whats a cute web site gimmick? you mean like a twitter feed? is it bad to have a "happy" team? should all wrestling teams be miserable all the time? im so very confused. 

CornerCoach has a personal beef against a particular PAC12 coach and takes every chance he gets to throw in a shot at him.

Tony Ramos and Metcalf are competitive.  Metcalf is always a threat for gold and Ramos could medal as well.  His loss to the Mongolian was reasonably close, and that Mongolian is very good.

Metcalf having NEVER won gold is ALWAYS a threat for GOLD?

OK buddy, I'll be on the other threads with the other members of the board who are NOT delusional.   I wont even address Ramos.   You're clearly intoxicated.   Carry on with the always threats to win the Gold but who have NEVER won a single GOLD between them combined.   For that matter, not a single bronze or siivler they've won combined since they made their world world or Olympic team.   

Metcalf having NEVER won gold is ALWAYS a threat for GOLD?

OK buddy, I'll be on the other threads with the other members of the board who are NOT delusional.   I wont even address Ramos.   You're clearly intoxicated.   Carry on with the always threats to win the Gold but who have NEVER won a single GOLD between them combined.   For that matter, not a single bronze or siivler they've won combined since they made their world world or Olympic team.   

look up hubbard's history. he is one of the only international posters that i will read.

Hubbard absolutely knows what he's talking about.  Has arguably the best insider information of anyone currently posting.

Remember the Zadicks.  If they can win world medals on a perfect day, then so can Melcalf, and Ramos.  Just this year an unheralded NCAA wrestler won a medal- just wasn't for the USA.

A lot of people had Metcalf as a Gold pick last year and this year.  Probably won't be on too many lists next year though.

My point is that it is rare that a US Athlete has NO chance of winning gold.  Are you saying that Metcalf and Ramos have NO chance of ever winning gold? 

No way did I see Jamil Kelly or Zadick winning gold back in the day, but they did.

Guys coming out of the woodwork to get other hardware over the years like Eggum and Coleman Scott.

I'm of the mind that you always need to take the US entry seriously.

A lot of people had Metcalf as a Gold pick last year and this year.  Probably won't be on too many lists next year though.

My point is that it is rare that a US Athlete has NO chance of winning gold.  Are you saying that Metcalf and Ramos have NO chance of ever winning gold? 

No way did I see Jamil Kelly or Zadick winning gold back in the day, but they did.

Guys coming out of the woodwork to get other hardware over the years like Eggum and Coleman Scott.

..when did Jamil Kelly win gold?  

Is that the standard you've switched to now, "no chance of ever wining gold"?

I'd say we all have some sort of chance to win gold.  I'd put my personal odds at about 1 billion to 1.   Is that really what you meant, that there is a sliver of chance in the universe?  I thought we were talking legitimate threats here.  

And No, Ramos has NEVER been a legitimate threat to win gold.  Metcalf with his total of ZERO international medals of any color, ever probably a little better odds than Ramos.