Sign in to follow this  
hawktalk3

Iowa now with two 2017 verbals

Jason Renteria (#4 at 113 - Intermat) gave his verbal two weeks ago and was the first SO to do so. Yianni announced on Monday to become the second SO, and Mejia became the third SO, and second to commit to Iowa. Mejia is the #3 113. Interesting stuff with all the early verbals.

http://iawrestle.com/2014/11/12/hawkeyes-land-sophomore-justin-mejia/

I just mentioned this in the "Cornell just landed two studs" thread. As a Penn State fan I love the fact Iowa has the two 113lbs. sophs., that Cornell seems more than set at 125 and 133 going forward, that Ohio State and Oklahoma State also seem set at these weights.

Penn State has a real need going forward at 125 and 133. Guys like Spencer :Lee, Nick Suriano and Luke Pletcher should all take notice. 

I just mentioned this in the "Cornell just landed two studs" thread. As a Penn State fan I love the fact Iowa has the two 113lbs. sophs., that Cornell seems more than set at 125 and 133 going forward, that Ohio State and Oklahoma State also seem set at these weights.

Penn State has a real need going forward at 125 and 133. Guys like Spencer :Lee, Nick Suriano and Luke Pletcher should all take notice. 

Without me going to another thread, do you mean that because Iowa has two guys, Lee should look into elsewhere? I am just curious as to your meaning.

Without me going to another thread, do you mean that because Iowa has two guys, Lee should look into elsewhere? I am just curious as to your meaning.

I am saying that Penn State has virtually nobody at 125 or 133 that could even be competitive with guys like Suriano, Lee and Pletcher for the years they would be eligible. Hardly a state secret. Penn State has a desperate need at those weights, your Hawkeyes do not. 

I am saying that Penn State has virtually nobody at 125 or 133 that could even be competitive with guys like Suriano, Lee and Pletcher for the years they would be eligible. Hardly a state secret. Penn State has a desperate need at those weights, your Hawkeyes do not. 

Gotcha, although it would be up to Lee to initaite contact since Cael cannot. I know the word of a HS So means little, but I saw another interview whereMejia said, "It doesn't even matter to me (how much I get)," he said, "as long as I get to go there." So it's still reasonable to think Iowa pursues Suriano and/or Lee.

I just feel like Iowa is still going to go after Suriano at least, because if they don't Iowa will have to wrestle a true freshman, which is just something Brands has virtually no track record of doing (Burak is the lone exception, and he wasn't straight out of HS).

For Spencer Lee in particular, it seems to me which other recruits a particular school has at his projected weights will be close to last on his list of important considerations. He is going to be the top dog recruit at his weight no matter where he goes.

While this is a good mentality for a recruit to have, I can think of several guys off the top of my head who are currently riding the bench (or did so for much of their career) despite being seemingly unstoppable in high school.

While this is a good mentality for a recruit to have, I can think of several guys off the top of my head who are currently riding the bench (or did so for much of their career) despite being seemingly unstoppable in high school.

Well, they're not Spencer Lee. Kid is that good, in my opinion.

Anyway, I wasn't saying Lee should ignore program's needs, I was noting that he probably is not going to be dissuaded from choosing whichever school he likes the most by kids he's teching and sticking left and right (I know he has not teched or stuck literally everyone....).

Out of genuine curiosity, which top 10 overall recruits are riding the bench because another recruit from the same class beat him out? I guess Marstellar losing to Blees comes to mind but that story has some more to go before we can conclude anything about him.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Right, but I agree with the other poster, Lee is going to go wherever he wants. But he already has a weight class on Renteria and Mejia, so those three might not even wrestle the same weight

Gotcha, although it would be up to Lee to initaite contact since Cael cannot. I know the word of a HS So means little, but I saw another interview whereMejia said, "It doesn't even matter to me (how much I get)," he said, "as long as I get to go there." So it's still reasonable to think Iowa pursues Suriano and/or Lee.

I just feel like Iowa is still going to go after Suriano at least, because if they don't Iowa will have to wrestle a true freshman, which is just something Brands has virtually no track record of doing (Burak is the lone exception, and he wasn't straight out of HS).

Of course it doesn't matter to him how much he gets. He's 15 or 16yrs old and that's typical of most kids these day.  Parents pay for everything and kids don't value money because everything is "free" to them.  I have this discussion with my wife all the time about not teaching them to obsess over it but making sure that our kids at the very least value money and how it works in the real word.

Edited by PapaBearSLIM

Of course it doesn't matter to him how much he gets. He's 15 or 16yrs old and that's typical of most kids these day.  Parents pay for everything and kids don't value money because everything is "free" to them.  I have this discussion with my wife all the time about not teaching them to obsess over it but making sure that our kids at the very least value money and how it works in the real word.

While I am not disagreeing with you, I think it is more misguided for a kid to say he doesn't care about the scholarship when the offer of scholarship money is (often) the best indication in the confidence a coach has in you to make the lineup and be an impact. A coach can tell every recruit that they will be an All-American but at the end of the day, one coach can only have ten All-Americans, no matter the number of All-American level athletes he has in his room.

If a kid wants to go to PSU and not see any action in a dual while paying tuition, there is nothing wrong with them making that decision. But I think a lot of kids assume they will be the exception and be the walk-on who ends up making the lineup. In reality, they may find they enjoy being a starter and getting a scholarship from Buffalo, Purdue, or Lock Haven a lot more.

I would like to add, I find it odd that people are already trying to solidify weight classes for three or more years away when there are so many starters unknown for weight classes right now and we are already a few weeks into the season.

I remember when Dake, Eifert, and Nevinger were all high school seniors and committed to Cornell. People were talking about how they would all be the same weights in college. Don't think that was ever an issue.

I would like to add, I find it odd that people are already trying to solidify weight classes for three or more years away when there are so many starters unknown for weight classes right now and we are already a few weeks into the season.

I remember when Dake, Eifert, and Nevinger were all high school seniors and committed to Cornell. People were talking about how they would all be the same weights in college. Don't think that was ever an issue.

When you are talking about wrestlers who can move either up or down then you never know which weight they will be in college. When you are talking about high school Hwt's or 113's it gets a lot easier. I know they are only sophomores, but how many high school sophs project to 157, or 149? Not many.

No worries though, I am actually quite happy all these schools are loading up on guys that project to 125 and 133. 

David Taylor was a 112lb Jr. correct? 

Correct

The one that always shocked me most was Chris Spangler who wound up at Iowa State. Went from 119 as a Junior (and 103 as a sophomore!) to being team USA's dapper dan selection at 171 his senior year.

Edited by BigRedMachine

When everyone points out these dramatic weight gain story's I like to share another side of the coin. A few years back we had a 245lb Sophmore 1st year wrestler compete HWT (JV) the first few meets of that year. He joined the sport to get in better shape so he could join the army. Last year as a senior he wrestled152 varsity and qualified for our states regional. He hovered closed to 145 (body fat test allowed it) but we already had someone useful at that weight. This year he's in college doing some super smart kid stuff (3rd in his HS graduating class) while being part of the ROTC so he can Help our military after school. I used to like the massive growth stories but this impressive shrinking story is my new favorite.

Edited by MadMardigain