Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Demas to shock wrestling world tonight...

#16 Caleb Marsh

vs. 

#10 Mark Martin

All hand fighting, Marsh likes to get ahold of the collar ...Marsh with the inside single but time runs out

0-0 after 1

Martin takes down

escape, 1-0

Marsh shoots, nothing 

under 1 minute

Martin gets in on a double to a go behind td with 4 seconds left

3-0 after 2

escape Marsh

stalling Martin

Marsh kinda too tired to shoot at end.

Match ends 3-1 Martin

Edited by TBar1977

Courts OSU

vs.

Campbell Kent State

ankle pick by Courts, 2-0

quick escape, 2-1

Courts double leg. Had to work kinda hard for that one, 4-1

escape, 4-2

3rd take down on another low single

6-2 end of 1

Campbell chooses down

Courts RT up to 1:40

Tilt, 3 pts, now 9-2

escape, 9-3, RT up over 2 mins

another double, 11-3 after 2

Courts out in about 5 seconds, turns immed. back in and gets an easy TD, 14-3

esc

TD, 16-5

cuts him loose

Last 30 seconds, nothing

ends 16-5

Dominating performance

Edited by TBar1977

Kyle Snyder

vs. 

Baxter

Hi C, 2-0 Snyder, cuts him, now 2-1

2-1 after 1

Snyder chooses down

quick escape, 3-1

Beautiful slide by to a single and almost to a cradle in one motion,Wow.  5-1

locked hands? No.

Cuts him

Playing takedown game

5-2 after 2

escape, 5-3

Score close, but Snyder dominant

HiC, 7-3, cuts him again. Obviously not worried

Go behind, 9-4

cuts him, 9-5, 

Wow, Monstrous footsweep, takes him to his back hard!

11-5, backs? No.

Match ends 11-5

Baxter has hard time just walking off mat. He got dinged when Snyder sweeped the foot and slammed him the opposite foot got trapped. 

Tavanello going at Hwt. No Haines. Rumors true? Haines hurt? 

Edited by TBar1977

OMG again. Ref stops the action and tells Miller he can't wrestle. Throws headgear. 

I also heard Miller cost his team a point.

Edited by stp

Evaluation:

Tomasello looked great--opposition not impressive.

DiJulius got a homer call from the official.  He has a long way to go..

Logan--say no more.

149--can't evaluate with HS not there.

Demas caught a break.  I wouldn't bet on him in a rematch.

Weird finish.  Doesn't matter as BoJo wasn't there.

Martin unimpressive, as usual.  Eked out a win.

Courts looked good against an opponent who was immobile..

Snider wrestles straight ahead, no angles.  How will he do against a taller, more agile opponent?

Tavanello, not impressed.

tOSU has some soft spots--133, 157 (maybe), 174, HW.  Assuming the Fr. stars do well, the vets have to step up, especially DiJulius, Demas, Martin, Courts, and Tavanello.

Carp:  

Re DiJulius:  Those two have wrestled several times and McGuire made zero effort to score on his feet.  DiJulius got 2 legit back points and made it stand up.  I thought he looked strong and rode well.  He's never been much to look at but he's beaten the likes of Colon, Brewer (multiple times) and Guilbon (multiple times).  

Re Snyder:  He's a barely 19 yr old true frosh wrestling grown men.  He has won convincingly over Huntley, McDiarmid, Wellington and Baxter in the first few weeks of the season.  Those are all top 20 type talents.  Guys like Schiller and Gadson will be good tests.

If Snyder is not a "grown man" I don't know who is.

By the way, the commentary was very good and knowledgeable.

Edited by carp

Carp:  

Re DiJulius:  Those two have wrestled several times and McGuire made zero effort to score on his feet.  DiJulius got 2 legit back points and made it stand up.  I thought he looked strong and rode well.  He's never been much to look at but he's beaten the likes of Colon, Brewer (multiple times) and Guilbon (multiple times).  

Re Snyder:  He's a barely 19 yr old true frosh wrestling grown men.  He has won convincingly over Huntley, McDiarmid, Wellington and Baxter in the first few weeks of the season.  Those are all top 20 type talents.  Guys like Schiller and Gadson will be good tests.

Snider wrestles straight ahead, no angles.  How will he do against a taller, more agile opponent?

The lack of angles could be said about a lot of All-Americans and National Champs I've seen in the last few decades.  Especially in the upper weights.  Varner and Howe, even Metcalf come to mind as examples of guys who wrestled in straight lines and rarely created angles.  Snyder is very methodical with his attacks, but what separates him from many at 197 is his ability to attack the legs and also go upper body and throw.  Reminds me a bit of Trenge in that way.

About Snyder ... announcer doing color was someone who is in the Buckeye wrestling club, or OTC. Guy said he wrestles Snyder every day. Not sure who it was, but the guy said he was calling Snyder to win NCAA's this year.

Snyder is a straight ahead guy, but he's also got tremendous defense. I think by the end of the year it is him and J'Den for the top spot. Just my $0.02. 

About Snyder ... announcer doing color was someone who is in the Buckeye wrestling club, or OTC. Guy said he wrestles Snyder every day. Not sure who it was, but the guy said he was calling Snyder to win NCAA's this year.

Snyder is a straight ahead guy, but he's also got tremendous defense. I think by the end of the year it is him and J'Den for the top spot. Just my $0.02. 

And with the widely-available 50% discount, that would be $.0.01.

The soft spot appears to be on your head.  Everybody should have soft spots like #6 Dijulius, #7 Demas, # 10 Martin and #14 Tavanello. 

Just based on what I saw tonight--DiJulius, Martin and Tavanello have a way to go to be AA.  Demas, I always liked, but he needs to turn it up.

Evaluation:

Tomasello looked great--opposition not impressive.

DiJulius got a homer call from the official.  He has a long way to go..

Logan--say no more.

149--can't evaluate with HS not there.

Demas caught a break.  I wouldn't bet on him in a rematch.

Weird finish.  Doesn't matter as BoJo wasn't there.

Martin unimpressive, as usual.  Eked out a win.

Courts looked good against an opponent who was immobile..

Tavanello, not impressed.

tOSU has some soft spots--133, 157 (maybe), 174, HW.  Assuming the Fr. stars do well, the vets have to step up, especially DiJulius, Demas, Martin, Courts, and Tavanello.

The soft spot appears to be on your head.  Everybody should have soft spots like #6 Dijulius, #7 Demas, # 10 Martin and #14 Tavanello. 

I think it was JD Bergman on the mic.  He often stands in to do color for OSU meets on BTN

You could start a thread on what exactly is a soft weight for a team. Soft, softer and softest.

TOSU fan hopes for a full and healthy lineup at season's end, obviously. This year might be a battle of the top 6 teams' respective "soft spots" and which wrestlers can be the least soft.

Carp:  No doubt that the Bucks are stronger at 125, 141, 149, 165 and 197 then they are at the other five weights.  What they get out of those other five will determine how NCAA's go.  But, one dual on a cold night in November is a long way off from NCAA's.

Lets see what happens in Vegas.  

My big concern--JD stated that Hunter is likely out until January.  First time I'd heard anything about the amount of time he's out.  Either he suffered a significant injury or something else is going on.  I have no idea.  But he's a critical performer for this team.

Hopefully, he can come back strong.

Lots of injuries early on with Ohio State--BoJo, Logan, Hunter, DiJulius, Martin and Courts have all missed events already presumably due to injury.  

Let's stop kidding ourselves here. Snyder wrestled Gatsalov tough losing by a couple takedowns. I would say he is the favorite to win the 197 lb title and wins a Jr wolrd title only taking one loss at the Jr level. He should not be ranked 9th. And I will go out on a limb and say OSU wins the team title. And I am a PSU fan. I just saying it would not sursprise me. If they get the injuries under control they should compete in March.

Edited by PRyan2012

Let's stop kidding ourselves here. Snyder wrestled Gatsalov tough losing by a couple takedowns. I would say he is the favorite to win the 197 lb title and wins a Jr wolrd title only taking one loss at the Jr level. He should not be ranked 9th. And I will go out on a limb and say OSU wins the team title. And I am a PSU fan. I just saying it would not sursprise me. If they get the injuries under control they should compete in March.

I think people are deluding themselves on Snyder. Kyle is the real deal. Some just don't want to believe it. They will believe come March. A number 9 ranking for him is preposterous.

I think people are deluding themselves on Snyder. Kyle is the real deal. Some just don't want to believe it. They will believe come March. A number 9 ranking for him is preposterous.

That's not how rankings work, so it really isn't preposterous.  On intermat he's ranked #7 because he has wins over #8 Wellington and #17 Huntley, when he beats a top 6 guy I'm sure he'll continue to move up, but until then they can't really rank him ahead of guys with better college resumes. 

Now if someone said they think he's the 9th best guy at the weight I'd agree with you that that is a bit preposterous, but none of the ranking publications are saying that. They are saying that he has the 7th or 9th best college resume at 197, which is pretty impressive considering he's only wrestled 5 or so college matches.

Personally I think he'll end up in the Schiller/Cox/Gadson tier, but until he has wins comparable to those guys he won't be ranked that highly. 

If Gatsalov somehow found eligibility and enrolled at some D1 school, he would not be ranked much higher than Snyder. Rankings are initially about what happened during the college season last year and then gradually more about what happened this year. They are backwards-looking first ,then forward-looking second.

I think everyone knows Snyder is going to vie for a national title this year in spite of his ranking. That does not make him improperly ranked today. He just doesn't have the D1 resume to be ranked higher.