Sign in to follow this  
Threadkilla

Has Ugi exhausted his eligibility?

Did Ugi's stint on the Mongolian National Freestyle wrestling team for 2+ years affect his NCAA Eligibility? He competed for 1.5 years at the Citadel, I believe he is a matriculating junior.   Did the NCAA grant him just 1 year or Eligibility in their determination last year?. Anybody know the justification?    

Something about the age when he enrolled at The Citadel. Pretty sure the NCAA has some rules on time away from graduation that doesn't include LDS missions, military service, etc. Most athletes who start their college careers in their mid-20s don't get all four years, at least not at the Division I level. 

Something about the age when he enrolled at The Citadel. Pretty sure the NCAA has some rules on time away from graduation that doesn't include LDS missions, military service, etc. Most athletes who start their college careers in their mid-20s don't get all four years, at least not at the Division I level.

I thought the issue was his years of competition with the national team in which expenses were covered. I know the NCAA counts years of organized competition against you when you defer college enrollment but haven't looked up the rules recently.

pretty sure there is an exception for football that if your in your 30's and never went to college even though you had multiple scholarship offers because your dad died and you had to stay home and run the farm that you can start school with freshmen eligibility. the NCAA won't stop you from competing, your biggest obstacle will be a mirthless dean would would like to see the team fail so he can shutter the program and the perils of navigating college life as a mid thirties freshman who wants to date his journalism professor. 

at least that's my understanding of the situation. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

Without cutting and pasting- the current rules are less about age and more about years between HS and College. You get one year free. And although I expect they might allow for what JB said, I don't see any exception in this rule allowing for anything other than Olympic Training. The Military, Religious and Foreign Service exceptions only show up in the 5 year rule area which take place once you have matriculated. If you stay out a second year it basically eliminates a red-shirt possibility (one of the 5 years) and if you compete in the second year it eliminates one year of competition (one of the 4).