dtl38

Okie State over SDSU

Oooh, semantics, may I join?

I think the confusion here began with use of the phrase 'burning a redshirt,' which is a pretty common confusion point in wrestling vernacular. Redshirts don't really get burned, or used up, until the season ends and the wrestler has NOT wrestled. So the phrase as commonly used doesn't really work. For the meaning it usually attempts to convey, it would probably be better to switch it to 'burning an eligibility year,' which is, effectively, what Smith just did with Collica. Collica could still pull a TRFR Logan Stieber and compete for a few matches before MFF'ing and subsequently be granted back that redshirt year, but effectively, by competing attached in the SDSU dual, he has begun to 'burn his eligibility year.'

It looks to me, as an outside observer butting into the conversation, that ionel baited Lost with the semantic trick 'and he can't redshirt next year because?....' and Lost got a little duped in taking that bait.

However, Lost's point is not lost despite the semantic sidetracking and remains true: that this burning of Collica's 2015 tourney season eligibility (again, presuming the MFF NCAA return/granting of the RS, ala Stieber, does NOT happen) does appear to also convey Smith's intent to redshirt Marstellar. The logic of this is sound: if the intent was for Marstellar to compete at 157 THIS YEAR and to preserve his redshirt for some future season, then why also burn Collica's 2015 eligibility? Put more simply, with two wrestlers for one weight--both with future redshirts available, it wouldn't make strategic sense to burn both wrestler's 2015 eligibility. As such, it remains sound to presume that Marstellar will use his redshirt in the 2015 season, now that Collica cannot (again, accepting the MFF asterisk).

ionel's point, despite its reliance on literal semantics, is also true: the option to compete both wrestlers this year, preserving both wrestlers' redshirts for some future year, remains viable according to redshirting rules. However strategically unsound its practice may seem.

In summary, this master debater (points two thumbs at chest, followed by wanking motion) declares two winners and raises both hands. Well competed, gents!

Simply put - this was AWESOME. Well written 👏

Collica lost 8-2. Interesting given Marstellar's results today. I don't think it is a given or set in stone that 157 is settled at Okie State.

Kindig winning by a close 6-5 and Shafer losing are mildly surprising.

I'm obviously a little behind, is this who Chance lost to in the okie state wrestle off?

I'm obviously a little behind, is this who Chance lost to in the okie state wrestle off?

157: Anthony Collica (So.) dec. Keilan Torres (RFr.), 8-6

157: Anthony Collica (So.) dec. Ryan Blees (Fr.), 9-2

157: Anthony Collica (So.) MD Chris Koo (RFr.), 10-2

157: Keilan Torres (RFr.) fall Chris Koo (RFr.), 7:38

157: Keilan Torres (RFr.) dec. Chris Koo (RFr.), 10-8

157: Chris Koo (RFr.) dec. Chance Marsteller (Fr.), 13-7

157: Ryan Blees (Fr.) dec. Chance Marsteller (Fr.), 5-1

157: Anthony Collica (So.) dec. Keilan Torres (RFr.), 8-6

157: Anthony Collica (So.) dec. Ryan Blees (Fr.), 9-2

157: Anthony Collica (So.) MD Chris Koo (RFr.), 10-2

157: Keilan Torres (RFr.) fall Chris Koo (RFr.), 7:38

157: Keilan Torres (RFr.) dec. Chris Koo (RFr.), 10-8

157: Chris Koo (RFr.) dec. Chance Marsteller (Fr.), 13-7

157: Ryan Blees (Fr.) dec. Chance Marsteller (Fr.), 5-1

I just don't get it. Blees?, ok maybe if Chance is having a really bad day. Koo? I'm just shocked considering chanced dominated Torres in the recent OK tourney and Torres beat Koo twice.