Sign in to follow this  
125special

Amateur Wrestling News - Prep 40

Released two weeks ago. Visit Tuesday for updated Individual & Team Rankings. 

AWN Prep 40 Team Rankings 

1. Oak Park and River Forest, IL

2. Blair Academy, NJ
3. Wyoming Seminary, PA
4. Clovis, CA
5. Graham, OH
6. Southeast Polk, IA
7. Archer, GA 

8. Franklin Regional, PA
9. Montini Catholic, IL

10. Stillwater, OK 
11. Apple Valley, MN
12. Buchanan, CA

13. St. Peter's Prep, NJ
14. Lowell, MI
15. Bettendorf, IA
16. Marmion Academy, IL
17. Bergen Catholic, NJ
18. Poway, CA
19. Don Bosco Prep, NJ
20. Massillon Perry, OH
21. Cumberland Valley, PA
22. Broken Arrow, OK 
23. Tuttle, OK
24. Bound Brook, NJ
25. Bethlehem Catholic, PA
26. St. Michael-Albertville, MN 
27. Marist, IL
28. Bakersfield, CA
29. Delta, OH 
30. St. Edward, OH
31. Neosha, MO
32. Mater Dei, IN
33. St. Johns, MI
34. West Fargo, ND
35. Kaukauna, WI
36. McDonogh, MD
37. Brandon, FL
38. Crook County, OR
39. Brecksville, OH

40. Mountain View, AZ

not Corey (who has done a fine job here) or Bob, but...my two cents...

Just because NY is one of the better states in the country at turning out talent does not mean that they have a team with a line-up that can compete with the 20/30/50 best teams in America.

which program/s do you have in mind?

is there a NY line-up where the constituents of the team have proven results on par with the teams listed above?

getting NY teams in (and proving their valuation or position) is increasingly difficult because there's almost no common opponents or head to heads.

Not so sure Brandon is the best team in Florida this year given the number of departures from last year's team.  State champ's Flint (4X) and Berrian graduated.  4X state champ Dylan Lucas and brother Ty (state placer) moved to Oklahoma.  And it appears state champ McGee and state placer Enmon transferred to another school (per state rankings).  They do return state champs Bruno and Greene along with several other state placers. 

I am surprised to see Marist ranked by most publications. They still have a few studs but are no where near the team they have been the last couple of years. I am not sure they are top ten as a dual team in Ilinois.  As a tournament team they are still top ten in the State.

Not so sure Brandon is the best team in Florida this year given the number of departures from last year's team.  State champ's Flint (4X) and Berrian graduated.  4X state champ Dylan Lucas and brother Ty (state placer) moved to Oklahoma.  And it appears state champ McGee and state placer Enmon transferred to another school (per state rankings).  They do return state champs Bruno and Greene along with several other state placers. 

Rhino:

You may be right.  Based on the rankings on the Florida board, South Dade may be as good or better than Brandon this year, although Brandon will still be tough (you forgot to list Norstrem with the other two returning champs). 

Six months ago, I thought that this season could be Brandon's best team ever, if the kids were spread out and they didn't have several great kids all at the same weight.  In addition to the kids you mentioned, I thought that Telfer (3rd in 1A) and Artalona (1A SC and nephew (I think) of a former Brandon wrestler) would be joining the team as incoming freshmen.  In that scenario, Brandon would have returned 13 state placers (six champs, three runners-up, two thirds, a fourth and a fifth) and a state qualifier.  That didn't happen.

Oh, well.  Brandon has been the beneficiary of move-ins in the past, so we can't complain if some families choose to move out.