Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Despite Mudflap's warning, Iowa still #1

Hurricane, I'm not claiming the Luther Open is tougher than the Lindenwood Open. Or that IC Duals are tougher than Northeast Oklahoma.  You've created a real strawman to attack.   This is getting beyond silly.

Rather I'm just pointing out when Iowa faces a non d1 team in some competition, some of the jackals on this board go on the attack. If Okla St or Indiana or Purdue or some other d1 school faces a non d1 team, there is no such criticism.

My personal opinion is, I don't really care if any d1 school schedules a non d1 opponent in some early season competition. I believe the small schools that Iowa wrestles want the experience and the exposure. And Iowa will still end up facing Minny, PSU, Okla St, tOSU... pretty much all the top ranked teams as the season progresses. Overall their schedule is one of the toughest in the country. So again... who cares about an early season non d1 matchup? 

Really Bro.... you're missing the point.

No Rossel, I'm not missing the point.  I'm just correcting the false info you're continuing to put out about Oklahoma State's early season opponents.  Note that you again allege that the Cowboys have scheduled non D-I opponents.  As examples, you mentioned their upcoming participation in the Lindenwood Open and last Sunday's event at Northeast Oklahoma.  You further disingenuously claim that this is the equivalent of Iowa's early season event where the Haweyes face a junior college, an NAIA school, and a D-III school. 

However, the Lindenwood Open includes other D-I teams and individuals (see previous examples I mentioned earlier).  And your assertion that the Cowboys scheduled Northeast Oklahoma last weekend obscures more than it reveals.  Actually, that was a tri-meet hosted by Northeastern Oklahoma, not solely a dual between the Norsemen and the Cowboys.  The fact is that last Sunday, the Cowboys faced the host team at 4:00 pm and immediately thereafter (at 6:00 pm) they wrestled the other participating team, South Dakota State.  The latter is a D-I team.  

To quote the late Paul Harvey, that, Rossel, is "the rest of the story."  

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Neslon, those two schools are Division I. You do realize we are talking about community colleges and division III schools right? Haven't seen any of those on Penn State's schedule.

I find it curious that Brands has no problem obliterating completely overmatched teams yet sends his bluechip freshman to the junior division of weak tournaments to build them up.

Here are the results. No wonder people unfamiliar with the sport consider us Neanderthals. 

#1 IOWA 55, Baker 0

125 - #4 Thomas Gilman (IA) pinned Alex Fortuna (Baker), 2:05; 6-0
133 - #4 Cory Clark (IA) pinned Bryce Shoemaker (Baker), 4:11, 12-0
141 - #14 Josh Dziewa (IA) technical fall Juan Rivera (Baker), 17-1; 17-0
149 - Topher Carton (IA) technical fall Tyler Dickman (Baker), 23-7; 22-0
157 - Michael Kelly (IA) pinned Nick Haugen (Baker), 1:32; 28-0
165 - #6 Nick Moore (IA) pinned Connor Middleton, 4:24 (Baker), 34-0
174 - #4 Mike Evans (IA) pinned Josh Thomas (Baker), 1:45, 40-0
184 - #10 Sammy Brooks (IA) won by injury default Bryant Guillen (Baker), 46-0
197 - Kris Klapprodt (IA) dec. Billy Leone (Baker), 9-4; 49-0
285 - #3 Bobby Telford (IA) pinned Beau Bennett (Baker), 1:52, 55-0

#1 IOWA 49, Iowa Central 3
125 - #4 Thomas Gilman (IA) technical fall Alex Delacruz (Iowa Central), 26-10; 5-0
133 - #4 Cory Clark (IA) pinned Tyler Miler (Iowa Central), 2:07; 11-0
141 - #14 Josh Dziewa (IA) pinned Cory Collins (Iowa Central), 4:34; 17-0
149 - Topher Carton (IA) technical fall Teddie Harvey (Iowa Central), 22-6; 22-0
157 - Michael Kelly (IA) dec. Richie Lewis (Iowa Central), 8-5; 25-0
165 - #6 Nick Moore (IA) pinned Stephon Gray (Iowa Central), 2:45; 31-0
174 - #4 Mike Evans (IA) pinned Jake Meehan (Iowa Central), 1:52; 37-0
184 - #10 Sammy Brooks (IA) pinned Armani Robinson (Iowa Central), 2:06; 43-0
197 - Patrick Downey (Iowa Central) dec. Kris Klapprodt (IA), 11-6; 43-3
285 - #3 Bobby Telford (IA) pinned Richard Gonzalez (Iowa Central), 0:48, 49-3

#1 IOWA 55, Cornell College 0
125 - #4 Thomas Gilman (IA) pinned Scott Smith (Cornell), 1:45; 6-0
133 - #4 Cory Clark technical fall (IA) Phillip Opelt (Cornell), 16-1; 11-0
141 - #14 Josh Dziewa (IA) pinned Nathan Shank (Cornell), 1:09; 17-0
149 - Topher Carton (IA) dec. Trevor Engle (Cornell), 11-5; 20-0
157 - Michael Kelly (IA) pinned Aaron Engle (Cornell), 2:28; 26-0
165 - #6 Nick Moore (IA) pinned Michael Maksimovic (Cornell), 0:55; 32-0
174 - #4 Mike Evans (IA) technical fall Brent Hamm (Cornell), 19-3; 37-0
184 - #10 Sammy Brooks (IA) pinned James Garrett (Cornell), 3:33; 43-0
197 - Kris Klapprodt (IA) pinned Jim Kirby (Cornell), 1:58; 49-0
285 - #3 Bobby Telford (IA) pinned Eric Tucker (Cornell), 1:22; 55-0

You two are ridiculous. These are sports teams, not the Mongrel hordes slaughtering millions. The only thing I think worth arguing is the strategy of it. By that I mean is it the best way to get your guys ready for the end of the year. I would say it isn't. Brands must think it is.  

You two are ridiculous. These are sports teams, not the Mongrel hordes slaughtering millions. The only thing I think worth arguing is the strategy of it. By that I mean is it the best way to get your guys ready for the end of the year. I would say it isn't. Brands must think it is.  

I always thought that was the Mongol hordes that slaughtered millions.  But I guess it's easy to confuse the Mongols with the Mongrels.  After all, Rossel is perplexed about Oklahoma State's schedule. Apparently, he thinks the Lindenwood Open has all non D-I participants (except for the Cowboys).  Similarly, he would have us believe that Coach Smith scheduled only a non D-I team last Sunday, when actually the Cowboys also faced a D-I opponent at the same event.

A Mongrel horde coming at you would be pretty terrifying too. I dislike it as a strategy but if I was an Iowa hater I would encourage them to do this. I think it hurts them come the end of the year. I don't think they are bad people for doing it. It is a scheduling strategy just like Cael sitting out the Duals. I would say that sitting out one of the biggest events of the year would be more of an indictment on a coach then a easy early season schedule. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Not entirely true.....there are a few hawkeyes wrestling at ........get this.....Lindenwood!

Touche - and thanks also for making my point.  Rossel thinks that no D-I teams or individuals (other than Oklahoma State) wrestle at the Lindenwood.

And, of course I was referring to the Hawkeye's scheduled event yesterday (i.e., Iowa city Duals), not today's Lindenwood Open.

OK

Edited by TBar1977

i guess some rivalries just get in people's heads on a weird, tribal level. the creepy side of college sports fans on full display on this thread. 

i guarantee the wrestlers at Baker, Iowa Central and Cornell don't feel like they need protecting from Brands or the Hawkeye starters by some spastic keyboard warriors. give them some credit for putting up a fight and to Iowa for giving them the opportunity to test their mettle when it probably would have been more productive for the team to just hold a regular practice day.

A Mongrel horde coming at you would be pretty terrifying too. I dislike it as a strategy but if I was an Iowa hater I would encourage them to do this. I think it hurts them come the end of the year. I don't think they are bad people for doing it. It is a scheduling strategy just like Cael sitting out the Duals. I would say that sitting out one of the biggest events of the year would be more of an indictment on a coach then a easy early season schedule. 

If you'll notice, I wasn't commenting on the merits of the strategy, pro or con.  Rather, I was objecting to Rossel's attempt to equate the Cowboy's early season schedule to Iowa's.  Please note that he neglected to mention that there are other D-I teams/individuals participating in today's Lindenwood Open.  Likewise, he mentioned only the Cowboy's results against Northeast Oklahoma last Sunday, while conveniently ignoring the fact that they also wrestled D-I opponent South Dakota State at the same event.

If you'll notice, I wasn't commenting on the merits of the strategy, pro or con.  Rather, I was objecting to Rossel's attempt to equate the Cowboy's early season schedule to Iowa's.  Please note that he neglected to mention that there are other D-I teams/individuals participating in today's Lindenwood Open.  Likewise, he mentioned only the Cowboy's results against Northeast Oklahoma last Sunday, while conveniently ignoring the fact that they also wrestled D-I opponent South Dakota State at the same event.

So I forgot to mention Okla St wrestled South Dakota St?  Not really. I didn't mention it because there was no need to. I was merely pointing out that like Iowa, Okla St had early season competition against a non d1 opponent (Northeast Oklahoma).   It is about as irrelevant as me saying you forgot to mention Iowa wrestles against Iowa State this coming Friday. 

And I never said no other d1 teams compete at Lindenwood. You simply made that one up.

But I get the gist of what you're saying Hurricane... you're doing what you excel at.  Straw-man arguments, non sequiturs and nitpicking for little irrelevant "gotchas."  Solid work Hurricane.

The way I see is all schools agreed to these bouts. The small schools get a chance to let their wrestlers experience top level wrestlers. This could definitely benefit these wrestlers especially in the sense that it will remove the intimidation factor when competing against highly ranked opponents in their respective divisions.

Meanwhile, Iowa benefits in that their wrestlers get a chance to get into the swing of wrestling real matches, without it being in a situation that they feel like they need to peak for. It also gives the freshman a chance to get some college wins under their belt and build some confidence.

Seems like a mutually beneficial situation all around to me.

So I forgot to mention Okla St wrestled South Dakota St?  Not really. I didn't mention it because there was no need to. I was merely pointing out that like Iowa, Okla St had early season competition against a non d1 opponent (Northeast Oklahoma). 

And I was merely pointing out that the Cowboys early season competition at NE Okla was actually a tri-meet hosted by the Norsemen.  After wrestling NE Okla at 4:00 pm, the Cowboys returned to the mats at 6:00 pm to face the D-I Jack Rabbits. 

And I never said no other d1 teams compete at Lindenwood. You simply made that one up.

I made no such assertion.  You're the one that initially described Okla St's competition as simply consisting of "Lindenwood and Quachita Baptist among others."  I merely pointed out that the "others" included the Cowboys competing against D-I teams/wrestlers. 

But I get the gist of what you're saying Hurricane... you're doing what you excel at.  Straw-man arguments, non sequiturs and nitpicking for little irrelevant "gotchas."  Solid work Hurricane.

LOL!  Actually, you're the one nitpicking, Rossel. Your attempt to equate the Lindenwood Open (and NE Okla tri-meet) to the Iowa City Duals is laughable.  In the latter event, the Hawkeyes faced all non D-I competion.  In fact, they didn't even face anyone above the D-III level. However, in both their events, Okla St faced other D-I opponents (in addition to lower level competition).

Those are just the facts, Rossel.  That's all.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

I love the Iowa City Duals. Just as I have said, I loved Rutgers scheduling of the Rutgers Duals with Centenary, Stevens Tech, and Delaware Valley and the Terp Duals at Maryland with Johns Hopkins, Alderson-Broaddus, Kutztown, and Davidson. The one change I would make, however, would be not including Davidson since they are D1. I would replace them with someone like McDaniel or Gettysburg.

Iowa reminds people how dominate they are compared to some other schools in the region. (As if they needed any reminding...) Rutgers and Maryland have done the same.

I think every D1 team should wrestle against regional competition to kick off the season. There is no reason D1 teams should not be getting some wins under their belts to kick off the season. It is a little different for PSU since there are so many options in PA that they can schedule D1 teams of all levels. This is not much of an option in the midwest.

D1 wrestling is more about building a fan base and a fan following than the other divisions that can (sometimes) survive just by attracting tuition dollars to the schools. In D1, you need fan support. As a result, the D1s should, for lack of a better way to describe it, excerpt their dominance. They should be showing everyone that they are the most elite school in their locale or region.

This helps get people talking, it gets confidence in the athletes, and it helps to get people to follow the team's progress. I would love it if 90 percent of the D1 schools were undefeated going into this week. There is no reason for any D1 team to not have a few wins. Sacred Heart could easily have wins over Trinity, Coast Guard, and Weslyan to placing claim to the best collegiate team in the state. While South Dakota State could have wins over Northern State, Minnesota West Technical and Dakota Weslyan helping to establish themselves as the premier team in their region.

Every D1 team should be finding teams to schedule that they can beat up on in their region. You want these lower level schools, when they are talking about their toughest scheduled events to be talking about D1 schools. The travel, in region, will not cost much and the schools admins expect them to lose to D1 schools. This will make people be more interested in college wrestling results. It makes the people with connections to these other programs more likely to follow D1.

I think the football model would be good for wrestling. In college football you often have the early season games which are between FCS and FBS (D1 vs lower divisions) teams playing, then you transition into non-conference D1 games before moving on to the conference slate. You will always have some variations in these schedules but all in all that is the general theme.

I really think this would be better for wrestling. D1 teams need a lot more home dates, they need more wins, and they need to remind people in the wrestling community how elite all of our D1 teams really are.

My two cents....

^^^ Good post.

For what it's worth - here's the list of teams participating at the NYS Championships today at Cornell:

1.  Alfred State College, NY

2.  Army, NY

3.  Binghamton University, NY

4.  Brockport State, NY

5.  Clarkson Unversity, NY

6.  Columbia University, NY

7.  Cornell University, NY

8.  Cornell Wrestling Club, NY

9.  Farmingdale State College, NY

10.  FlWC, NY

11.  Hofstra, NY

12.  Hunter College, NY