Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

Penn St @ Pitt Friday

Penn State visits Pitt on Friday for their 7pm EST dual meet that will air on ESPN3.

Key comparisons re: both teams encounter with Lehigh:

No. 15 Lehigh 19, No. 11 Pittsburgh 12 (11/09/14)
125 – Scott Parker (Lehigh) dec. Dom Forys (Pitt) 8-4
133 – Mason Beckman (Lehigh) dec. Nick Zanetta (Pitt) 2-0
141 – Randy Cruz (Lehigh) dec. Travis Shaffer (Pitt) 6-2
149 – Mikey Racciato (Pitt) dec. Drew Longo (Lehigh) 11-9
157 – Dylan Milonas (Lehigh) major dec. Ronnie Garbinsky (Pitt) 10-0
165 – Cody Wiercioch (Pitt) dec. Santiago Martinez (Lehigh) 9-5
174 – Marshall Peppelman (Lehigh) dec. Troy Reaghard (Pitt) 4-2
184 – Max Thomusseit (Pitt) dec. Nathaniel Brown (Lehigh) 6-4
197 – Nick Bonaccorsi (Pitt) dec. Elliot Riddick (Lehigh) 5-3, s.v.
285 – Doug Vollaro (Lehigh) dec. John Rizzo (Pitt) 4-1, t.b.

No. 5 Penn State 24, No. 15 Lehigh 10 (11/15/14)
125 – Jordan Conaway (PSU) dec. Scott Parker (Lehigh) 4-3
133 – Jimmy Gulibon (PSU) dec. Mason Beckman (Lehigh) 8-3
141 – Randy Cruz (Lehigh) dec. Kade Moss (PSU) 8-2
149 – Zack Beitz (PSU) dec. Drew Longo (Lehigh) 8-2
157 – Dylan Milonas (Lehigh) dec. Cody Law (PSU) 2-1
165 – Garett Hammond (PSU) dec. Santiago Martinez (Lehigh) 8-3
174 – Matt Brown (PSU) Fall Marshall Peppelman (Lehigh) 4:01
184 – Nate Brown (Lehigh) major dec. Matt McCutcheon (PSU) 10-2
197 – Morgan McIntosh (PSU) dec. Elliot Riddick (Lehigh) 4-3
285 – Jon Gingrich (PSU) dec. Doug Vollaro (Lehigh) 3-1

From PSU Match Notes:
#7 PENN STATE NITTANY LIONS (1-0, 0-0 B1G)
125 #12 Jordan Conaway Jr.
133 #5 Jimmy Gulibon So.
141 Kade Moss Fr. OR Michael Waters Jr.
149 #15 Zack Beitz So.
157 #10 Dylan Alton Sr. OR Cody Law Fr.
165 Garett Hammond Fr.
174 #3 Matt Brown Sr.
184 #19 Matt McCutcheon Fr.
197 #4 Morgan McIntosh Jr.
285 #7 Jon Gingrich Sr. OR Jimmy Lawson Sr.

#16 PITTSBURGH PANTHERS (3-1)
125 Dom Forys Fr.
133 Nick Zanetta Fr. OR  Ben Ross Fr.
141 Travis Shaffer Sr.
149 #13 Mikey Racciato So.
157 Ronnie Garbinsky Jr. OR Eric Nutter Jr.
165 Cody Wiercioch Fr. OR Troy Reaghard Sr.
174 #5 Tyler Wilps Sr.
184 #4 Max Thomusseit Sr.
197 #10 Nick Bonaccorsi Jr. OR  Ryan Solomon Fr.
285 John Rizzo So.

I will not be surprised to see Michael Waters compete @ 141
Edited by skikayaker

Article on Penn State 184 Matt McCutcheon. Looks like he could be bringing 100 fans from his high school to watch him wrestle Thomusseit. Also, regarding Matt's early season opponents there is this:

The Lions' redshirt freshman is 5-2. His losses are to No. 5 Nate Brown of Lehigh and No. 3 Lorenzo Thomas of Penn. He's beaten No. 9 Ophir Bernstein of Brown and he'll face No. 4 Max Thomusseit of Pitt on Friday.  "That's pretty good for the first week and a half,'' Penn State coach Cael Sanderson said. "Now he has his fourth top 10 guy. Whatever, it is what it is.

"He's right there,'' Sanderson said. "It's all perspective. If you take a couple losses early, you have to make sure you focus on the positives and not the loss.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/penn_state_wrestler_matt_mccut.html

Edited by TBar1977

Can't wait to actually be able to watch a dual this year! Love that ESPN3 is showing this and read on here they are showing the VT vs Ohio St dual Sunday, great stuff! Here's my two worthless cents on this dual:

125: Conaway, PSU vs Forys, Pitt. Conaway didn't exactly light up the scoreboard against true freshmen Parker from Lehigh, but he did beat him, which Forys did not. Forys does have a nice early season win over Mines from Edinboro, but I don't think the 4th year college wrestler loses to the first year. Will Conaway be more offensive this time out?

133: Gulibon, PSU vs Zanetta, Pitt. Gulibon looked the best he's looked to date for PSU, looks noticeably bigger at 133 and seemed to have a good motor the whole 7 minutes vs then #2 Beckman. Heavy favorite for PSU here.

141: Moss, PSU vs Bright/Keller, Pitt. This match could be key for a Pitt upset, a healthy Bright would be a heavy favorite over the freshmen who has yet to prove himself on this level. No Bright in the lineup and I say this match is a tossup. Pitt needs it either way.

149: Beitz, PSU vs Racciato, Pitt. One of the few where Pitt is higher ranked, so on paper they are the favorite here but we have seen enough flashes from Beitz to know he is capable of a win here. I think they are ranked 11 and 16, not an overwhelming favorite here, should be another tossup that could be fun as both these guys get after it.

157: Law, PSU vs Garbinsky, Pitt. A battle of a couple unranked guys, the kind of match that could determine a close dual. Hard to pick a favorite, neither guy jumps out or has any signature wins that I know of, so this could be the third swing match in a row.

165: Hammond, PSU vs Weirchoch, Pitt. Both redshirt freshmen, both unranked, both tough PA guys. Weirchoch was the higher regarded recruit coming out, will he live up to it or has Hammond surpassed him with all the great workout partners and coaches at Penn St? I say very slight edge Weirchoch, but certainly not a lock.

174: Brown, PSU vs Wilps/Reghard, Pitt. Again, huge difference maker here. We could see a battle between #3 and #5 in the country here, or we could see a blowout. Brown is a former NCAA finalist and a real national title threat that can score in bunches. Wilps is no slouch and an All-American himself, probably one of the few that could keep it interesting with Brown. So far in the a scenes of Wilps Pitt has been sending out a backup 165, if they do that against Brown I expect pin or tech for PSU. A healthy Wilps probably still loses but only by regular decision, maybe a chance for an upset at home. The other question is if Wilps wrestles it will be his first competition of the year, will he really be 100%?

184: Mccutcheon, PSU vs Thomusseit, Pitt. As stated above, Mccutcheon is facing yet another top 10 opponent early in the season. He has fared somewhat well, with a nice win over Bernstein, but I think Thomusseit is still out of his league at this point. Favorite Pitt, but not expecting bonus.

197: Macintosh, PSU vs Bonacorsi, Pitt. Good matchup here between two top 12 guys. Macintosh is the All-American, Bonacorsi was round of 12. We've seen Macintosh blow out top 12 guys before (watched him major Jace Bennett last year) but last week he struggled against Riddick. I'd say the odds are better that this is a regular decision for PSU than a major or better. Maybe Bonacorsi wrestling at home could pull the upset, but have to favor the returning AA.

285: Gingrich/Lawson, PSU vs Rizzo, Pitt. I'm going to assume Gingrich is still the guy for now, and he would have to be the favorite here. Heavyweight is always an unpredictable weight, and again, maybe an upset is possible for Pitt with the added adrenaline of wrestling at home and trying to beat the instate rival defending champs, but I'd favor Penn St here.

Bottom line, Penn St looks to be the favorite in this dual. Other than 174 if Wilps doesn't wrestle, I don't see too many matches that are slam dunk, sure thing, one wrestled heavy favorite with bonus potential (maybe 33?), which means a lot of tossups and close matches. As I said at heavyweight, maybe the extra excitement of wrestling at home as the underdog, trying to beat the instate powerhouse returning champs gives Pitt and edge and they win enough tossup matches to steal this one. If I was a betting man I'd take Penn st, but I also wouldn't have expected Pitt to take 7 of 10 from Edinboro either!

Article on Penn State 184 Matt McCutcheon. Looks like he could be bringing 100 fans from his high school to watch him wrestle Thomusseit. Also, regarding Matt's early season opponents there is this:

The Lions' redshirt freshman is 5-2. His losses are to No. 5 Nate Brown of Lehigh and No. 3 Lorenzo Thomas of Penn. He's beaten No. 9 Ophir Bernstein of Brown and he'll face No. 4 Max Thomusseit of Pitt on Friday.  "That's pretty good for the first week and a half,'' Penn State coach Cael Sanderson said. "Now he has his fourth top 10 guy. Whatever, it is what it is.

"He's right there,'' Sanderson said. "It's all perspective. If you take a couple losses early, you have to make sure you focus on the positives and not the loss.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/penn_state_wrestler_matt_mccut.html

Didn't Bernstein get beat by a kid from a Vo Tech or something? Obviously not at his best that weekend.

Didn't Bernstein get beat by a kid from a Vo Tech or something? Obviously not at his best that weekend.

He lost to Kowal from Stevens Tech (DIII).

Here is a blurb from last year (Ohio State HS Tourney) on Stevens Tech true freshman Kowal ... but nice try in attempting to discredit the Penn State kid (as usual on here)

AJ Kowal started his State Tournament run by pinning Russell Porter (Willoughby South) who was 41-6, in a time of 3:57. AJ came back the next day to wrestle in the Quarterfinals and faced senior Scott Deluse (Lancaster) who was 41-5 and placed 7th in the state last year. AJ pinned Deluse in a time of 0:55. The stage was set for the Semifinals match with senior Michael Coleman (Hudson) who was 36-2 and placed 4th in the state at the same weight class last year. AJ came out and scored a quick takedown to capture the led and hold on for a 3-2 win making him a state finalist. In the finals, AJ had to wrestle senior Tony Dailey (Massillon Perry) who was 42-4 and placed 5th last year in the state meet. AJ looking forward to the challenge came out ready to wrestle. AJ gave up an early takedown but was able to get an escape and come back with a takedown of his own. The crowd sat on the edge of their seats as the match went back and forth. Down by one, AJ almost finished a takedown in the last seconds of the match. Even though AJ loss a 6-5 decision, he still walked away as a champion.

AJ Kowal finished out his senior year 48-3 including 34 pins for the season. He also broke the school career win record with a 152 wins and a 2nd place finish in the state meet. Good luck to AJ as he heads to the Stevens Institute of Technology on scholarship to wrestle and pursue an engineering degree.

Edgar Bright 3

Kade Moss 2

Moss looked like a Greco trying to do folk. 

Zack Beitz

vs.

Mikey Racciato

I would NOT have wanted to score that first sequence. Beitz up 5-3 after 1. Mikey can scramble like a banshee. 

Beitz out. 6-3. 

TD Ankle Pick. 

8-3.

Esc

8-4 after 2.

Esc 8-5

Lotsa ties

1 minute left

Awesome!

Mikey had an inside singkle cokked up and Zack turned into him and tilted him over for 2 more, then rode him out to get 1 more for RT

11-5 Beitz

10-3 Penn State so far

Edited by TBar1977

Jimmy G. 11

Zanetta 2

Totally different Jimmy G. this year. Made that look easy.

Jimmy always had the Technique.  Last year seemed like it mental issues.  This year he has put on muscle the technique is there and he is wrestling with an attitude. 

Law vs. Garbinsky

Wow. 2 and 2 for Ronnie. Pancaked him right to his back with a big throw.

4-0

Esc 150 left

4-1

End of 1

Law takes bottom

Esc, but Ronnie has about 1:10 RT

4-2

TD Law

4-4, Law close to gettimng backs

RT under a minte

Esc

5-4 Ronnie

End of 2 (Ronnie looks tired to me)

Law cuts him

6-4

potentially dangerous 

1 min left

40 secs

20 secs

Over

Ronnie wins 6-4

Penn State 10 Pitt 6 at Intermission

Edited by TBar1977

My guess is no Wilps, didn't look like he had a singlet on under his jacket during that ceremony at intermission (which was very nice by the way). No Wilps means big points for Brown I think, also hurts the chance for an upset here. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Impressed with. Forys, good match. Gulibon looks real good so far. Bright didn't have the gas tank in first match back, totally agree with the assessment that Moss looks like a Greco guy trying to do folk. Didn't like the call on first exchange at 149, thought first TD call was quick, should have been 2-0 Racciato, but Beitz would have won anyway. Impressed Garbinsky walked out and just manhandled Law to his back. Great meet so far, 2nd half should be great too!

Second half was great.

165 Weircioch beat hammond 11-8. Cody's defense was the difference. Garrett had a pair of headlocks that took Cody down, but each time Cody rolled thru and avoided the TD. Cody also fought off a real deep single and Garrett elevating him into the air. Cody is a really good wrestler. He'll qualify for NCAA's this year, and he'll win some matches. He is going to be a difficult out for most guys. 

174 Matt just dominated Rheagard. Looked painful. Something like 17-6.

184 McCutcheon put up a great fight. Got a reversal and had a couple of nice shots that max had to fight off. Max won in the end, 5-3 in the sort of match that 5th year guys as good as he is tend to win. But Matt showed he has some potential.

197 was a blowout. All McIntosh. 5-0 after 1 period after Morgan got Bonnacorsi in a bow and arrow tilt for the full count. Morgan went right back to the same tilt in Period 2, got it for the full count, loosened it a bit, then full cranked it for the FALL. Morgan looked great.

Hwt Rizzo is a great wrestler who is totally undersized at this level. Not sure of the final, but something like 5-0. Rizzo couldn't handle Gingrich's size advantage. 

Final score was Penn State 23 Pitt 12.

24-12.  Gingrich MD'd Rizzo.

Second half was great.

165 Weircioch beat hammond 11-8. Cody's defense was the difference. Garrett had a pair of headlocks that took Cody down, but each time Cody rolled thru and avoided the TD. Cody also fought off a real deep single and Garrett elevating him into the air. Cody is a really good wrestler. He'll qualify for NCAA's this year, and he'll win some matches. He is going to be a difficult out for most guys. 

174 Matt just dominated Rheagard. Looked painful. Something like 17-6.

184 McCutcheon put up a great fight. Got a reversal and had a couple of nice shots that max had to fight off. Max won in the end, 5-3 in the sort of match that 5th year guys as good as he is tend to win. But Matt showed he has some potential.

197 was a blowout. All McIntosh. 5-0 after 1 period after Morgan got Bonnacorsi in a bow and arrow tilt for the full count. Morgan went right back to the same tilt in Period 2, got it for the full count, loosened it a bit, then full cranked it for the FALL. Morgan looked great.

Hwt Rizzo is a great wrestler who is totally undersized at this level. Not sure of the final, but something like 5-0. Rizzo couldn't handle Gingrich's size advantage. 

Final score was Penn State 23 Pitt 12.

Edited by TBar1977