Sign in to follow this  
dclark145

Help Penn State Club Wrestling Fund Their Season!

Hi my name is Davon Clark. I am on the Penn State Club Wrestling team, and have intentions of trying out for the Varsity team. You might remember me as the kid from Philly that asked for help about the walk-on process last year. 

With our first competition (The Nittany Lion Open) less than 3 weeks away, we have been looking for ways to fund our season. Unfortunately, we had to get new singlets due to a new uniform compliance rule with the NCWA, and as a result have extremely little funds left. Though we are actively fundraising, it is highly unlikely that we will reach the necessary amount in order to attend all of our competitions and get gear for the season in time. 

If you would like to help, we have started a GoFundMe which you can access by clicking here: http://www.gofundme.com/psuclubwrestling. Even if you are unable to donate for whatever reason, that is fine - sharing on Facebook is also an immense help! 

Our line up is looking very strong this year, and we definitely have the potential to win an NCWA Team Title. Together, we can prove that Penn State has the best wrestling in the country at ANY level! Any help is greatly appreciated! 

I didn't even know Penn State had any opportunities for their students to wrestle. This is great to hear. The NCWA is doing a great job.  

Currently, there are 11 NCWA programs that are at the same university as a Div.1 team. There are several programs that are at universities that used to field Varsity teams. It's an amazing opportunity! 

I think these teams (with varsity) are or were called Division 2 or something like that.

Yes, teams that have a varsity team of any sort on campus are D2, while D1 are the teams who are fielded as Varsity teams but are not affiliated with the NCAA, NJCAA or NAIA. Typically, from what I've seen, D1 teams have some scholarship money, coaches and receive school support, while D2 teams are primarily student-ran clubs.

Doesn't PSU give their clubs any money?  Most schools I know fund their club sports. 

Sad that the biggest college wrestling school has a team with everything right next door to kids that just want to wrestle because they enjoy it and they can't get anything.  Guess PSU doesn't care about wrestling as a sport just about winning championships in any sport possible.

Edited by dutchcountry7

Doesn't PSU give their clubs any money?  Most schools I know fund their club sports. 

Sad that the biggest college wrestling school has a team with everything right next door to kids that just want to wrestle because they enjoy it and they can't get anything.  Guess PSU doesn't care about wrestling as a sport just about winning championships in any sport possible.

There's a limit to how much money you can get as a club, depending on certain tier levels established. To be fair, generally speaking, clubs here at PSU have to get a large percentage of their own funding. It's not just wrestling. There is support for us, just not nearly enough to fund the season.