Sign in to follow this  
powerhalf

Dual Forfeits

Rider just beat Wisconsin on criteria, with the tie coming in large part from Wisconsin forfeiting 125.  Despite the fact that Ryan Taylor was wrestling up a weight at 133, there are still two other people listed at 125 on the Wisconsin roster.  What's the downside to throwing one of them in.  Worst case scenario they get pinned, and it's the same as a forfeit from a team perspective, but if a scrub backup gets teched, that's only 5 team points, and Wisconsin wins the dual.  They did the same thing against Maryland, this time forfeiting 133, despite having two wrestlers at 133 on their roster, though it did not affect the dual result.  What, if anything is the logic behind forfeiting a weight.  Even if you send in a horribly overmatched replacement and he gets teched, you yield 5 points instead of 6.  

Unacceptable for any funded D1 school to be forfeiting unless there is something screwy going on that exact day.

I can't understand how a Big10 school can't travel with at least 15-20 kids enough to cover every weight x2.  Too much comfort in the sport for old school coaches.

Could be kids redshirting, injured, not on weight, girlfriend broke up with them, etc.

thats the spirit

dont even field a lineup because a kid might be slightly better in the future

redshirts are for kids not good enough to make the lineup

I'm not sure if this applies to non-conference meets as well, but I know for Big Ten conference meets, there are limitations on how many wrestlers a team is allowed to bring with them on the road (13 if there is one dual for a weekend, 15 if two duals).

so they could only bring a few backups and never thought to bring a light weight

wonder how many guys they enter in the navy classic

thats the spirit

dont even field a lineup because a kid might be slightly better in the future

redshirts are for kids not good enough to make the lineup

Pulling a guy out of a redshirt for one match borders on stupidity.  Tell me one good reason to pull a kid out of a redshirt for a couple matches and waste a year of eligibility?

Pulling a guy out of a redshirt for one match borders on stupidity.  Tell me one good reason to pull a kid out of a redshirt for a couple matches and waste a year of eligibility?

because dual results matter and it is an honor to contribute to your teams success

ha ha just kidding. youre right dual results dont matter.

The Wisconsin match is strange?  They have kids they could have put in at 133, they knew they were not going to have Theilke there, they did not need to pull a red shirt, they had other choices, but they still moved Taylor up to get beat when he probably would have won easily at 125?  Doesn't really make since?  But.......... It's a dual and until they matter who cares if the fans like to win matches or not.  As long as I have 5 guys who will do well at the NCAA's then we will place high and we can talk about how good we are.

I'm not going to side with him.

He is an all time great and a proven coach.

Regardless, you don't forfeit if your a BIG10 program.

I want to know if there are rules to how many guys you can weigh in.

Then if there are, I want to know why these are the rules, cuz' it would suck to limit a team that can at least put a warm body on the mat.

SHP:

Thanks for the rules.  They are dumb.

If you can only field 10, it shouldn't matter how many travel.

Pulling a redshirt isn't the only option in the sport.

Coaches that pull redshirts traditionally do it because:

-Their philosophy is that to win every year

-They are trying to save their own jobs

It isn't that hard to blast a coach actually, especially when it is justified.

Lord, there aren't rules as to how many you can weigh in, but there are rules as to how many you can travel with. For instance, for Big Ten schools (and I just checked on this and confirmed), if you have one event in a weekend, you are allowed to bring 13 wrestlers, if you have two events, 15 wrestlers. Ivies are even more strict (12 wrestlers if there's no staying overnight, 13 if there is an overnight stay, 15 specifically for National Duals...the Scuffle may have a similar carveout as well).

Sooo a guy gets hurt or a skin condition a day or two before the meet and the coach is supposed to burn a kid's redshirt or make him drop 10+lbs in a day?  Or even heaven forbid the two guys both break out with a skin condition and can't wrestle.

Davis doesn't have a history of forfeiting weights and from the sounds of it their projected 133lber may have left the team. 

Without having even an inkling of what is going on it is hard to blast a coach.

Its easy to sit and say I looked at there roster theyve guys.Well unless your in the room and know whats going on with each kid no one knows the circumstances kids at that weight are dealing with.Barry Davis has been at Wisc for awhile I think he knows what hes doing he understands im judged every year by the All Americans he produces not if he won a November dual. 

That is the problem.

He should be judged for his total body of work.

Not an indictment of Barry Davis, other coaches have done the same thing. 

Probably not fair to keep bringing him up it is just that he is the flavor of the week in the D1 fft department.

College coaches don't get it if they don't think that at least fielding a full team is important.

You can't keep pointing to March as an excuse for November behavior in team events.

Its easy to sit and say I looked at there roster theyve guys.Well unless your in the room and know whats going on with each kid no one knows the circumstances kids at that weight are dealing with.Barry Davis has been at Wisc for awhile I think he knows what hes doing he understands im judged every year by the All Americans he produces not if he won a November dual. 

Those in the position that Edinboro was in,

similar to when Popolizo was at Binghamton,

recognize the importance of not giving anything anyway.

The PROGRAM trumps the individual and must be defended.

Wisconsin hasn't struggled or had to build with nothing and other programs like them haven't a

clue what it means to dress some local HS walk on to fill the lineups in big duals to keep the AD from killing the sport.