5 replies to this topic

#1 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 02:56 AM

Dwayne Keller???

I see that his only match loss was in his senior NCAA final to a fella ( Weigel) that he had defeated in the previous year's semis.

HIs second NCAA title was a victory over the immortal Rick Sanders.

Anyone here care to elaborate on Mr. Keller ( and his brother Darrel if you care to as well) about his character on the mat and off?

He must have been a stud.

#2 smittyfan

smittyfan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

Yes, they were both studs.  Sr year Dwayne lost to his Summer work out partner, in the finals, just hours after his wife gave birth to his first child.  Darrell defeated Larry Owings to win his second title, the year after Larry pulled the greatest upset of all time.  I could be wrong, but I believe Darrell had a leg injury his jr year..  I watched them wrestle several times, and in fact watched Dan the man a few times during that era.  My Jr High Coach took us to Stillwater for the Big 8's, a couple of duals and the USWF

Championships.  Very lucky to have Paul Kendle as a coach...

#3 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:53 AM

Kendle was a very good coach. He always got the most out of his guys- very impressed with what he did with the Augustana kids. What year did you have Paul as a coach? 

#4 smittyfan

smittyfan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

70-72 or 7th though 9th grade. High School and Junior High worked out in the same room.  He was an amazing coach.  I am a lucky man.  I should have been a much better coach, with the opportunities I had as a wrestler.  He left after my freshman year at Pawhuska High School.

Edited by smittyfan, 30 November 2014 - 05:47 AM.

#5 AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:49 AM

Really...... off the field character? Those stories should be easy to find. I'll just say they, both brothers, had issues back in the day.

The newspaper articles shouldn't be too hard to find with an internet search.

Today from what I have heard they are great community members.

#6 BigApple

BigApple

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

The joke was that you coud tell the Kellers apart because one had a scar on his calf from a gunshot received while fleeing the scene of a crime. Don't remember which was which though. Both were tougher than nails on the mat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users