okiespike

Marsteller and OSU

I only had the chance to see him wrestle Collica but from what I saw it appeared he just wasn't "mentally" in the match.  He wasn't aggressive and he was very slow getting back to the middle every time there was a stop in the action, so much so that Collica even looked a bit upset with Chance's "lack of effort".  I'm not trying to come down on the kid because I have all the respect in the world for him and what he's accomplished.  All I know is that from what I saw in that one match, it looked like to me he really didn't want any part of being there.  

He just looks burned out to me. It would be such a shame for a kid as talented as Marsteller to get burned out this early. I rarely think taking a year off from competitive wrestling is the right move for a freshman, but in this case, it might be the best thing for him. Maybe just half a season off. He does not look like he's having fun at all.

He isn't burnt out. As I have pointed out before he didn't have a very demanding schedule his last two years in high school.

I think he just has to get his weight down. He looked like a title contender against Torres, two hours before against koo he was clock watching and looked lazy. I think it's fairly obvious that he is just adjusting to D1 wrestling.  

Anyone know when it will clear or not of whether he is red shirting this year? I don't know what or how to think about Chance. Great performance at the Oklahoma open but then horrible performance for wrestle offs and then this loss to colica. I dunno maybe a redshirt year would be good for him.  

The loss to Collica isn't a "bad loss". NCAA qualifier Collica is 3X Ohio Division I State champ, FS Jr National Champ with a year of D1 varsity experience at Oklahoma state. It is early in the season give Chance time to adjust to D1 wrestling and the weight cut. A redshirt year should do wonders. 

I'm not an OSU fan at all but I too hope he figures it out. I'd hate to see him come up short with all the talent he has, and more importantly, all the time he's put in to develop his skills.  Being a huge Iowa fan one name comes to mind...Alex Tsirtis.  

I'm not an OSU fan at all but I too hope he figures it out. I'd hate to see him come up short with all the talent he has, and more importantly, all the time he's put in to develop his skills.  Being a huge Iowa fan one name comes to mind...Alex Tsirtis.

Tsirtis was an AA. But I suppose he was expected to be a 4X considering the hype coming out of HS.

osu is notorious for big weight cuts. if you haven't made one it is hard to understand how much that takes out of you. the lack of heart and motivation often come from big weight cuts. I would guess chance's optimum performance weight is somewhere around 162. obviously with the osu line-up set at 165 for the next two years, and he needs to find another option.

Edited by sockobuw

Remember Coleman Scott and Jordan Oliver also made huge weight cuts their freshmen year with not so great results that first year so this is not something new. Oliver did finish 4th but was not very aggressive that year.  They seemed to recover so let's give this some time and see how it plays out.

Here is the bracket for the Joe Parisi event:

http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/custompages/Men_Wrestling/2014_15/2014Joe_Parisi_Open_Gold.pdf

Alternative thought on Marstellar is that three of his four losses this year have come to team mates, and one to Wiest, a RS senior from Missouri going for 3rd place.  Wiest lost to Collica 6-1, Marstellar lost to Collica 4-1, which indicates to me that Marstellar and Wiest have more parity than the 5-1 score would indicate.  So, my thought is that Marstellar may have appeared "burned out" as some have suggested here, possibly because the events he's competing in are not important to him.

His losses to 1st two losses came on "ranking" day.  No benefit beating down guys who are wrestling for rankings.  He later avenged the loss to Koo and seemed to dominate.  Third loss came in the Semis to Collica.  And he didn't much care about competing for 3rd against the RS senior Wiest at the Joe Parisi open.

Beating Koo:

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251831-2014-Oklahoma-Open/video/753738-157-lbs-Semi-finals-Chance-Marstellar-Okie-State-vs-Chris-Koo-Okie-State

Beating Torres @ Okla Open:

"Cowboys Chance Marsteller and Keilan Torres fought for the championship at 157 pounds, with Marsteller coming out on top with a 15-2 major decision."

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251831-2014-Oklahoma-Open/video/753710-157lbs-Final-Marstellar-Okie-State-vs-Torres-Okie-State

Ranking Day information:

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/110814aaa.html

Just a thought.

Edited by skikayaker

If you guys are gonna put it off on the weight cut, you are essentially saying that John Smith doesn't know whats fair to ask of his athletes, or that Marsteller just isn't tough. 

Like a lot of young wrestlers, I think he is tough when he feels tough and soft when he feels soft. This is great in HS, when your technically superior and your biological age is about 28, but in college the volume of training demands daily toughness. 

He'll figure it out, it just takes time. 

If he is not burned out, then he is showing a serious lack of heart. Goes to show how much is in the mind at this level.

Pretty brutal assessment about "a serious lack of heart," wouldn't you say?  I wouldn't say its from lack of "heart."

I would say that he understands he can't beat dieringer and has to go 157 if he wants to be in the line-up either of the next two years. there are countless examples of guys underperforming because of weight cuts and those coaches let it happen. not sure who pulled the trigger on Hahn's mid-year move to 97, but obviously jrob and Hahn made a bad decision at the beginning of the year to go 184.

edit: did you also notice blees went to 165 when it was determined he wasn't going to be the guy at 157?

Edited by sockobuw

skikayaker, Not sure how you think he seemed to dominate Koo that last match.  

My question is why on earth did Marstellar go to Oklahoma State?  With Dieringer manning 165 it just seems like a horrible fit for Chance.  I get that he may have had aspirations beyond the collegiate level and that Smith knows a thing or two about freestyle but Nebraska seemed to work out ok for Burroughs.   

skikayaker, Not sure how you think he seemed to dominate Koo that last match.  

My question is why on earth did Marstellar go to Oklahoma State?  With Dieringer manning 165 it just seems like a horrible fit for Chance.  I get that he may have had aspirations beyond the collegiate level and that Smith knows a thing or two about freestyle but Nebraska seemed to work out ok for Burroughs.   

Just my thoughts....Dieringer is a big 165lber and I would not be surprised if he moved up to 174 next season and Chance could go 165lb(after Red shirting this season).  Maybe Smith and Chance thought he could beat Collica(then they could have shirted Collica), but since Collica looks like the man at 157, Chance shirts this season(If Dieringer does not move up and Chance can make the weight and start--he goes 157 next year).

some guys cut weight and do fine..... others cut and it simply wreaks them. Also it takes time for most to adjust to cutting, that is where I think Marsteller is.

If he has a "lack of heart" in these matches he should concentrate on school and not beat his body up. IMO that goes for ANYONE who has a "lack of heart". This sport is too demanding physically and mentally to continue if that is the issue.

What about 174? Didn't he wrestle 170 in high school? Maybe he'd be "small" for a college 174, but he'd make up for it in skill. After all, the guy he beat for the PA state title when he was a freshman, Lorenzo Thomas, is now wrestling 184 for Penn and was an AA last year. It stands to reason that Chance could still beat Thomas and the vast majority of college 174 pounders.

That match was so long ago, not sure it has much relevancy at this point. Thomas has improved by leaps and bounds since high school. Also, just for accuracy sake, Chance defeated Thomas in the semis, then Mark Havers in the finals his freshman year at 152. 

What's really crazy about this situation is that Chandler Rogers is at 165 and he is considered OSU's best freshman in the room right now. Collica is a Sophomore so as unbelievable as it sounds, Marsteller may not be able to break into the lineup until his RS Junior year. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I think the Thomas-Marsteller match was a final and has relevance. Surely one is likely to improve more in four years starting at age 15 than another starting at age 18. 

Completely disagree. A year or 3 in a D1 environment can do wonders. Not to mention that despite being the younger of the two, Chance's frame was a lot more filled out than Thomas's at the time of their match (hence why Thomas is at 184 now now).

Edited by BigRedMachine