okiespike

Marsteller and OSU

http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documents/2011_AAA_152_Brax.pdf

He beat Thomas twice that year: Once in the finals of the Powerade tournament, once in the semis at states. 

I think the Thomas-Marsteller match was a final and has relevance. Surely one is likely to improve more in four years starting at age 15 than another starting at age 18. 

Has Ok.St opened their dual meet season yet? I would assume Smith will have to decide on whether Marstellar RS's this year or not.

I agree with others that wonder why Chance chose Ok.St over other top programs (including staying with PSU where he could have followed David Taylor at 65 if he could beat out Garrett Hammond). I think his ideal wt class would be 65, and unless Dieringer moves up next year to 74, starting at Ok.St is going to be a struggle.

Are academic requirements any different between PSU and OkState?

Entrance Difficulty: OSU

Moderately Difficult: More than 75% of freshmen were in the top 50% of their high school class and scored over 1010 on the SAT I or over 18 on the ACT; about 85% or fewer of all applicants accepted.

Entrance Difficulty: PSU
Very Difficult: More than 50% of freshmen were in the top 10% of their high school class and scored over 1230 on the SAT I or over 26 on the ACT; about 60% or fewer of all applicants accepted.

Info above courtesy of CollegeData

The moral of the story:  

* Kid was lights out in High School

* Kid goes to college, and all other kids he now meets is on similar athletic/maturity/capability level

* Kid starts getting burnt out, after realizing he cannot have the same level of dominance and success at next level

It's a shame, that a kid with this amount of hype is having difficulty even making the team.  I do hope that Chance doesn't burn out, as all the signs are there.  I'd love to see him live up to those lofty expectations.  

On a lighter note, and since the whole collegiate career of Marsteller has been hypothetical at this point, I'll post the question:  

Uber-Hyped kid vs. Uber-hyped kid... 

Mark Hall vs. Marsteller... what are your picks now in this crazy hypothetical matchup over OVERLY hyped kids.  

Give the kid some time. I'm sure we all recall David Taylor taking some pretty big lumps in the room his first year. All he did was win two titles and make the finals four times. One difference between the two may be attitude but before any of us jump to that conclusion we should let the year play out.

DT's true frosh year, he was losing (close ones) to AA's.  Collica's no slouch, but not a Sanderson or Bubba.  

In the 'realm' of uber-hype... J'Den was hyped, but not to Marsteller's point.  All Cox did was win it.  

Fast forward to this year... true frosh... Snyder... Undefeated.  Has beaten a handful of Top 25 guys.  I'd say he's living up to a good portion (but not all) of the hype.  Another tOSU guy, Micah Jordan is RS'ing at 157.  Same weight class as Chance.  Micah's 15-0 thus far.  Granted, not all his wins are 'purdy', but, they are wins.  

Again, I DO hope that Chance, takes this chance... and decides to take his skills to the next level.  I love seeing domination, and who may represent the USA in the future at bigger and better things.  My gut is telling me that based on his performance thus far, the weight cut combined with getting donked around by the OSU guys, combined with the fact that the OSU guys are going to be there for another year or two, that this whole thing is in his head... 

To the previous poster about 'not caring'...  Honestly, I have never heard a serious wrestler even contemplate the concept of 'not caring' when it came to winning and getting better.  Maybe other parts of the country feel that way, but this midwest guy would throw a kid who 'didn't care' out of the room faster than Stieber's arm-bar pinning combination.  

My understanding was that Chance could be a Nittany Lion if he accepted certain guidlines.......have never heard what they might have been.  What Ido know is that his HS coach advised him t not to make a decission he may well regret!

Entrance Difficulty: OSU

Moderately Difficult: More than 75% of freshmen were in the top 50% of their high school class and scored over 1010 on the SAT I or over 18 on the ACT; about 85% or fewer of all applicants accepted.

Entrance Difficulty: PSU
Very Difficult: More than 50% of freshmen were in the top 10% of their high school class and scored over 1230 on the SAT I or over 26 on the ACT; about 60% or fewer of all applicants accepted.

Info above courtesy of CollegeData

OSU--not very difficult.

Remember Coleman Scott and Jordan Oliver also made huge weight cuts their freshmen year with not so great results that first year so this is not something new. Oliver did finish 4th but was not very aggressive that year.  They seemed to recover so let's give this some time and see how it plays out.

Vs. what high school weight?.  Scott also was yanked out of red shirting, so being an AA is pretty good.  Bubba Jenkins didn't place when he was yanked and went to the finals his next year.  

Maybe Marstellar still hasn't fully recovered from the back problems he experienced last season. A huge weight pull will definitely sap any wrestler though.

no not every wrestler. Him maybe.

I am gonna go ahead and say what we are all thinking.......if marstellar had grown up in Ohio he wouldn't be having any of the problems he is now. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

You really can't compare Marsteller to Taylor. DT was at 135 his senior year in high school (112 as a junior) and was rather undersized in the beginning at 157. Fact is he could of wrestled 149 that year but he and Cael had a plan and they stuck to it. Marsteller is the opposite in that he is cutting down to a weight class. Whole different dynamic at play here.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Marsteller could have been sitting fairly pretty at 165 for PSU this year.  I heard Taylor hammered him in the room during his PSU visits.  Might have knocked some concern or  raw fear into him and helped send him packing westward. Kind of like Chris McCandless heading Into the Wild. Who knows.  Don't underestimate the irrational power of pride. If you are undefeated for four years, it must be disorienting to realize you are no longer the best at your weight, let alone on the team or in the state.   Don't see him at 157 this year. Maybe not even next year at OKC.  Nor at 165 as long as Deringer is healthy.  He's competing with grown men now; in high school, he was a relative man among boys. Learning curves can flatten. Hope it's not a lost opportunity.  He's worked too hard and too long.  

I think he will be fine eventually. I think it is unfair of all the expectations we have put on him right away in college. Sure even I thought he tear up the field, but I did not expect him to drop all the way down to 157 either. No one will convince me that is his optimal wrestling weight. He should be at 165 or 174 wrestling strong. Period.

Dierenger has like 3 years college experience on Chance. Who is to say after a year in the room Chance could maybe beat him next year? Or maybe Alex moves up to 174? When Dierenger was a senior in HS, Nick Hodgkins whipped Alex pretty handily. Earlier that year a 9th grader named Marsteller beat Hodgkins and controlled him most the match. All I am saying is lets give Chance a chance to get accustomed to college wrestling and gain some experience.

I am a PSU fan, but I am rooting for him like crazy to reach his full potential. 

I was thinking of Dean Heil a few weeks ago when he lost 2 matches against teammates he "should" have not lost to. So he bumps up to 141 and seems to be way more effective thus far. I hate when wrestlers suck too much weight.  I used to box for a very long time, over 20+ years. I know all about sucking weight. I wish I knew what I know now back then.  

Both my boys wrestle, and they will NOT suck weight. That does not mean they can be chubby or not be in shape, I just will not have them lose unnecessary water weight and live an unhealthy lifestyle. 

Edited by Chasden

There is obviously something going on with Chance. It is either the weight cut, or the change of scenery, or the family issues, or who knows what. It isn't "Now he's wrestling with men" or "this isn't high school anymore". Chance wrestled dozens of opponents that were bigger and older than he was, and beat them. The Nick Hodgkins example is a good one. 

Chance appeared to me to be going at 1/2 speed in a couple of the match videos I saw. Either the cut has been really hard on him or something is in his head. Only he and those around him would know. 

Edited by TBar1977

Chance needs this redshirt year to acclimate to college wrestling in much the same way that Bo Jordan needed it at Ohio State. After a full year as a redshirt, getting stronger, and going through he obvious learning curve, he should be fine. I would suspect, like others, that the drop to 157 was based on the remote possibility that he could be the starter this year at 157. Since that is obviously not happening apart from injury of one of the starters, I think chance goes back to his original 165 weight or even gives it at shot at 174 during this redshirt season.  He needs to relax, get stronger and get better this year period. Believe me he will be a major wrecking force next year.  

CM had a beard in 9th grade.

chancemarsteller2011.jpg

For any of you that haven't competed at the D1 level, we need to give wrestling it's due.  It IS that much more difficult than high school.  Things change, kids mature at different rates and by college, everyone is getting top-notch coaching and training opportunities.

If someone is not winning ON THE MAT, it stands to reason that the most likely explanation that something is different ON THE MAT.  Look up Occam's razor.  I think it applies here.

Other than those who had major injuries or who flunked out of school, are there examples of #1 or #2 recruits who did not have very good or great careers. Could say David Craig fits this description.  But the odds are very much in Chance's favor.