Sign in to follow this  
smitty11

Tsirtsis

Was taken down 4 times today.  Not sure he was taken down more than 5 times all of last year.  149 can be won by a lot of people.  I think Houdashelt is the favorite after watching Tsirtsis today.  Maybe Stieber when he is healthy.  Very surprised at how Clagon and Cottrell got to his legs today.

Love watching Tsirtsis wrestle.  Very surprised at his defense this year.  I think Schaner from Stanford took him down in the dual a few weeks back as well.  He seems to riding tough but has not turned anybody.  I would love to see the Clagon match.  Sounds like a good one.  Anywhere to watch that match?  He did beat Cottrell 16-3 last year and this year 5-4 on a riding time point.  It's a long season and he is probably not geared up fully.  He did struggle over the summer in freestyle which has always been his best style IMO.  We will see, 149 is wide open as it was last year.  Tsirtsis had a rough patch during the midlands and the next few duals after that last year and he really turned it on at the big tens.  Biggest difference this year is he is giving up a lot of takedowns last year he barely gave up any even in his losses.  I think Dardanes took him down twice and Grajales took him down once.  When he lost to Grouthus he did not take him down.  English may have scored a takedown on him at the NCAA's and they may have been it last year.

You know, I am not as knowledgeable as most of the posters on this forum but one thing I have learned is; this is such a high level of wrestling that a bad day, or the flu, or even a small injury can make a huge difference and cause a lose.  In HS the really good guys can win anyway but at D1 wow it changes the game.  I think that is why an undefeated season is so impressive!

flo was filming at the tsirtsis/clagon mat. guessing they will post it in the future.

Key sequence in the Tsirtsis-Clagon match was at the end of the 1st period.  Clagon was up 4-2 after two takedowns that really got the Palestra buzzing.  Tsirtsis tied the match with his own takedown, and Clagon appeared to ding his knee in the process.  Because Clagon used injury time, instead of going down to get an escape and retake the lead, Tsirtsis chose down to resume the match, got his escape to take a 5-4 lead, and Clagon was fighting the scoreboard the rest of the way.

Neither Clagon or Cottrell (in the finals) showed much fear against Tsirtsis.  Both matches were fantastic.

Tsirtsis wrestles many tight matches but he is usually signing the bout sheet after its over.  I am excited about Clagon though because he seems to have a very high ceiling.  The jersey boys tend to overhype some of their kids but he's looking good.  Rider looks tough with both him and the younger Walsh kid at back to back weights and both of them are young.

Tsirtsis wrestles many tight matches but he is usually signing the bout sheet after its over.  I am excited about Clagon though because he seems to have a very high ceiling.  The jersey boys tend to overhype some of their kids but he's looking good.  Rider looks tough with both him and the younger Walsh kid at back to back weights and both of them are young.

Lol, the Jersey guys?  We have the PA fanboys on here giving resumes for every opponent that a PA kid wrestles, in an effort to make it seem like the just beat a world champ in the pigtail round.

And when it starts going sideways for one of the PA world beaters, they scramble for excuses, or simply distance themselves.

Hilarious.

Scouting is just brutal at this level.  David Taylor and Cael Sanderson simply amaze me by continuing to dominate like no one else throughout their careers.  I know, Dake beat him, and is even more amazing, but what David and Cael accomplished in the name of domination is just incredible.  Tsirtsis will be fun to watch the next 3 seasons.  I hope he stays healthy and continues to improve.

Lol, the Jersey guys?  We have the PA fanboys on here giving resumes for every opponent that a PA kid wrestles, in an effort to make it seem like the just beat a world champ in the pigtail round.

And when it starts going sideways for one of the PA world beaters, they scramble for excuses, or simply distance themselves.

Hilarious.

Your insecurity is showing again, Mahty. You should just take his compliment with some grace. 

... boston accents and some new york, like brooklyn, however. are known for dropping their 'r's.

I'll never forget the time a Brooklyn native was trying to explain to me how to get someplace - he kept telling me I had to switch the the "Ahhh Train".  It took him repeating it about 5 times before it dawned on me what he was saying!

What seems to limit Tsirtsis is seemingly lack of back points.  Unless he improves here he will be in a lot of tight matches which opens him up to unneccesary loses.  I can't count the number of close (one and two point) wins he was in last year!

What seems to limit Tsirtsis is seemingly lack of back points.  Unless he improves here he will be in a lot of tight matches which opens him up to unneccesary loses.  I can't count the number of close (one and two point) wins he was in last year!

"wins" being the biggest factor here

How about the old school standing switches that Clagon scored twice with?  Love it!  Tsirtsis kind of reminds me of Dake in that he doesn't always win pretty but he gets it done.  He appears beatable but rarely loses.  Take a look at his impressive resume and you realize that the kid is special.  After watching the video, it was definitely Tsirtsis being the aggressor.  Clagon is going to have to open up on his feet more if he is going to consistently beat top guys, imo.  Also, I didn't like the way Clagon backed up but that, unfortunately is typical of many eastern schools.

Tsirtsis was on the attack in that video, but they did not show the first two takedowns by Clagon.  If I had to guess Clagon was probably attacking early then Tsirtsis got aggressive.  Could be wrong but when the video started it said Clagon was up 4-1 with two takedowns.

Ok, i wasn't aware of the first two takedowns.  Hard to figure out things when you can't see the score as well.  Maybe Clagon was trying to sit on his lead but either way, he is going to have to pick up his pace of wrestling against the competition.  But when was the last time we were excited about a Rider guy like this?

Tsirtsis still not looking that great.  His takedown arsenal seems much more limited.  Maybe it is the way the others are scouting him.  I remember him having a really good boot scoot, duck under, high crotch and really good from the front headlock.  He seems to only look for a sweep single now.  Been reversed a lot this year.  His redshirt year he had few techs some pins and a lot of majors.  I know he majored Vaith.  Seemed like he could have had another takedown agains Short late in the match if he just kept coming around but was satisfied with the stalemate.  He keeps getting his hand raised but hard to win like that all year.