Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

College Wrestlers With Slick Takedowns

re: wrestlingnerd's reference to Jordan Oliver's use of the 'Jermaine Jones'.

Jermaine was an average wrestler his freshman year who somehow came up with this move and a few other signature moves like that in the middle of his sophomore year and was transformed almost overnight into a 2 time PA State champ. (He caught mono his senior year or he probably would have been a 3 timer).

I remember Jermaine wrestling an Easton kid at states. Perhaps Jordan picked the move up from there, cause he used it in that match.

It was both funny and inspiring to see Jermaine Jones look like was being taken down with a single, and seconds later he was scoring back points. I always thought that move was really sneaky.

Come to think of it, seems to me that Chance Marstellar used the move at Fargo(?) last year. 5 points and the announcer was saying "What the heck was that!"

oldcougar, thanks for the PA HS details. Very interesting. What happened to Jones in college; did he decide to call it a career after HS?

Two other college stars who excelled at this move were AAs Mark McKnight of Penn State and Chris Fleeger of Purdue. McKnight was probably the best of all the college guys ever at hitting this move (see this video for a variation where he takes the move to the other side for the tilt, hitting it on Iowa's Falck, not an easy guy to hit it on:

). I put Jordan Oliver down and not these other two because, in my opinion, Oliver hits it with the most finesse.

Marstellar did indeed use a very similar move, although with a slight variation. If I remember correctly, he didn't even lock up the tilt with his other arm, just hitting the move off the leverage of the whizzer and the hipover. Kid's an absolute monster.

oldcougar, thanks for the PA HS details. Very interesting. What happened to Jones in college; did he decide to call it a career after HS?

Two other college stars who excelled at this move were AAs Mark McKnight of Penn State and Chris Fleeger of Purdue. McKnight was probably the best of all the college guys ever at hitting this move (see this video for a variation where he takes the move to the other side for the tilt, hitting it on Iowa's Falck, not an easy guy to hit it on:

). I put Jordan Oliver down and not these other two because, in my opinion, Oliver hits it with the most finesse.

Marstellar did indeed use a very similar move, although with a slight variation. If I remember correctly, he didn't even lock up the tilt with his other arm, just hitting the move off the leverage of the whizzer and the hipover. Kid's an absolute monster.

Jones I believe ended up at Ohio st. University not sure what happened after he got their though.

An interesting side not Jones maj. Mcknight 12-3 in the state Finales for his second title.

Jones was not an average wrestler his freshman year; even being undersized. He went 2-2 at states. and was 34-6 on the year.

Jones I believe ended up at Ohio st. University not sure what happened after he got their though.

An interesting side not Jones maj. Mcknight 12-3 in the state Finales for his second title.

Jones was not an average wrestler his freshman year; even being undersized. He went 2-2 at states. and was 34-6 on the year.

Jermaine was 34-6 in a district that was just terrible. You are mistaken about states in 1999. In fact, Jermaine was 1-2 at states. Blown out twice and won one by forfeit. Not exactly a stellar performance.

The following December I saw him in a dual meet. He wrestled a kid who I coached in Youth wrestling - one of the poorest kids I ever coached, his lifetime record was far below .500. And yet Jermaine edged him out 2-1 in a boring match. Three months later Jermaine was a superstar.

What happened was his team got a new coach that year. This guy was a giant among men in HS but blew out his knee his senior year after taking 2nd at states as a soph and 1st as a Junior.

Glenn Koser transformed Jermaine Jones from an average wrestler to practically unbeatable. He totally changed his style - gave him some startling new moves, and instilled him with tremendous confidence.

Yes, Jones beat McKnight at states in the finals, 12-3.

And Jones started his senior year better than ever, but got sick in January and never recovered, though he did win Regionals (barely).

A kind of interesting aside: at states the next year (2003), Matt McKnight beat Brian Sellers of Pennsbury in the quarters. The score was tied with 10 seconds to go in the match. Sellers got a terrific reversal and had McKnight locked up - a sure win. BUT -- as Sellers was getting the reversal, the ref tripped over his own feet and fell on his butt. As he was falling he accidentally blew the whistle. The reversal was disallowed and McKnight went on to win in a tie-breaker, and then won states.

Koser was one bada$$ dude

I place him amongst the top 5 wrestlers in the history of our district - but his knee injury kinda ruined his career.

He threw those legs in and then hammered people. A true monster. Went to Penn State but don't believe he wrestled much if at all.

You are correct about Jones only going 1-2. He lost to Provencher that beat Matt Ciasulli at regionals the week before, then Pacitti who would be a state finalist.

His senior year I think he would have won states but his first match would have been tough no matter if he had mono or not. He had Drew Headlee his first match, even though he took third in the region was the 2nd best kid in the weight.

2003 also had that crazy match with Mike Rodgers and Jake Rathfon in the semis won by Rathfon.

Not much to watch on video of him, but Jack Cuvo was unreal to watch from the neutral position. He was a childhood hero of mine and I remember quite well his takedown exhibitions in high school as well as in college.

Jermaine was 34-6 in a district that was just terrible. You are mistaken about states in 1999. In fact, Jermaine was 1-2 at states. Blown out twice and won one by forfeit. Not exactly a stellar performance.

The following December I saw him in a dual meet. He wrestled a kid who I coached in Youth wrestling - one of the poorest kids I ever coached, his lifetime record was far below .500. And yet Jermaine edged him out 2-1 in a boring match. Three months later Jermaine was a superstar.

What happened was his team got a new coach that year. This guy was a giant among men in HS but blew out his knee his senior year after taking 2nd at states as a soph and 1st as a Junior.

Glenn Koser transformed Jermaine Jones from an average wrestler to practically unbeatable. He totally changed his style - gave him some startling new moves, and instilled him with tremendous confidence.

Yes, Jones beat McKnight at states in the finals, 12-3.

And Jones started his senior year better than ever, but got sick in January and never recovered, though he did win Regionals (barely).

A kind of interesting aside: at states the next year (2003), Matt McKnight beat Brian Sellers of Pennsbury in the quarters. The score was tied with 10 seconds to go in the match. Sellers got a terrific reversal and had McKnight locked up - a sure win. BUT -- as Sellers was getting the reversal, the ref tripped over his own feet and fell on his butt. As he was falling he accidentally blew the whistle. The reversal was disallowed and McKnight went on to win in a tie-breaker, and then won states.

I also disagree that Jones was only an average wrestler his freshman year; he was just a very small 103 pounder who still qualified for states. Maybe the addition of that move elevated him to an "unbeatable" wrestler, but he was pretty good before it.

I'm not sure, but I would guess that we didn't hear from him in college because he was too small to be a D1 125 pounder.