Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Fila Cadet World Champ Mason Manville commits to Penn State (link)

Par for the course. Buck is part of a segment of the Lehigh fan base that thinks their school is on par with the Ivy League. The reality of the situation is Lehigh is a lot closer to PSU academically then any of those schools. Latest rankings; Lehigh (40), Penn State (48). So basically those hypothetical student questions he posed about going to PSU are just as applicable if Manville chose Lehigh. Sorry to burst your delusional bubble Buck but read them and weep; and don't forget Lehigh has a small fraction of the student population that PSU does.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universitieshttp://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Yes and Mr. Nolf should have chose a different University...Congrats to Mr. Manville...Will be keeping an eye on your forward progression and eventionally a seat on The PSU "Train"!!!

P.S. FT did you take out the doctor with that Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun or is he hand tied trying to figure out how to log on???

Par for the course. Buck is part of a segment of the Lehigh fan base that thinks their school is on par with the Ivy League. The reality of the situation is Lehigh is a lot closer to PSU academically then any of those schools. Latest rankings; Lehigh (40), Penn State (48). So basically those hypothetical student questions he posed about going to PSU are just as applicable if Manville chose Lehigh. Sorry to burst your delusional bubble Buck but read them and weep; and don't forget Lehigh has a small fraction of the student population that PSU does.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universitieshttp://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

All in all, Lehigh offers a great education. So does Penn State. So does Cornell. A physics or structural engineering question is going to yield the same answer at all three schools. 

FWIW, I'd hire a Lehigh or Penn State building engineer before I'd hire an Ivy League building engineer anytime. Nothing wrong with the Ivy League guy, but I'd be fearful he'd be pre occupied trying to win an award of some kind for his work on my project, and I would not be looking for that type of outcome. I'd just want my building to stand up for as long as possible. 

You sound like Dan "The Man"...Those "Flat Landers" always project but never seem to get it done!!!

All in all, Lehigh offers a great education. So does Penn State. So does Cornell. A physics or structural engineering question is going to yield the same answer at all three schools. 

FWIW, I'd hire a Lehigh or Penn State building engineer before I'd hire an Ivy League building engineer anytime. Nothing wrong with the Ivy League guy, but I'd be fearful he'd be pre occupied trying to win an award of some kind for his work on my project, and I would not be looking for that type of outcome. I'd just want my building to stand up for as long as possible. 

Splitting hairs I suppose between a PSU, Lehigh, or Cornell education.  All great schools, just thought given a choice most would opt for the private school education.  PSU and Cornell are just so damn large.

That may be your preference, but its worth keeping in mind - typically the top engineers (especially the M.E.s and E.E.s) tend to NOT be in building engineering, but rather in other market sectors like heavy infrastructure, transportation, etc.  Building engineering is more often than not a matter of assembling off-the-shelf components - not too much sophisticated engineering involved.  So yeah, a Penn State engineer should typically do just fine! (LOL!) (PS- just messin' with ya, TBar! ;-)

But also, your comment is a bit of a red herring, because if I was looking at getting into engineering in the structural or civil disciplines, I wouldn't be looking at Ivy at all, except maybe Cornell; you would probably do better at Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Purdue... or Penn State, which I understand has one of a few engineering programs devoted specifically to Architectural Engineering.  Just my opinion...

Edited by redblades

Well of course a huge bonus for Manville, and I suppose this figured into his decision to attend Penn State, is access to the Wharton School, perhaps the best business school in the country.

No biggie, redblades. I think you understand the point I was making. A true student athlete can get a great education at any of the schools mentioned in this thread. Not sure why anyone would even imply otherwise. 

Absolutely, and I'm in complete agreement with that!

Well of course a huge bonus for Manville, and I suppose this figured into his decision to attend Penn State, is access to the Wharton School, perhaps the best business school in the country.

That's UPenn you're thinking of there. Still, the Smeal College of Business at University Park is one of the best business schools in the country.