Sign in to follow this  
greenmt.

Powerade Preview

106 - Is Gavin Teasdale the favorite? Or will TY Agaisse be dropping down after the +2, If not then Logan Grass should be the one who can push Gavin for the title. Others to watch are Cole Manley, Charlie Lenox,Daniel Planta, Josh Humphreys, Caleb Morris and Vinny Artigues.

113 - It will be Spencer Lee winning, the only question is how bad. The only one I see giving him a match is Beast champ Ty Agaisse and he might drop. If he doesn't then these two are the clear 1-2. Others who shold make some noise are, John Pipa,Jared Donahue,Gage Bayless,Hunter Baxter,Alan Diltz and Aaron Burkett.

120- Can Devin Brown jump two weights and still be a Powerade champ? We shall see, many can give him a match as he is undersized at 120. I'm going with Alex Macall for the title, He's beaten Yanni D and gave Soriano all he wanted 6 weeks ago. Devin Brown and Jacob Lizak went into OT last year in the semis, Taylor Ortz, Durbin Lloren,Kyson Levin, Zach Hartman, Brendon Howard, Tyler Kenney and Ricky Cavallo. Will make it interesting.

126- Will Luke Pletcher be dropping down? Reports are he can't make flat 126, but with the +2 it makes it interesting. If he stays up then 126 will be won by Jorden Allen, most forget he had Luke on the ropes last year in the quarters but lost 10-9, he never gets tired and scrambles very well. He will be pushed If Micky Phillipi decides to drop, not sure if micky can though. Others to watch are Cole Aaron, Alejandro Jimenez, Ryan Friedman, Mike Stuart,Conner Ziegler and Gus Solomon.

132- If Pletcher and Phillipi stays up, then 132 will be very exciting to watch as AC Headlee looks to make his 1st Powerade Finals apperence. He will have to go through one of them in a semi matchup. Others who will be looking to place will be Cole Clever,Dom Giannagelli,Mike Bartolo,Conner Borton,Nic Campbell and Chris Diaz.

138- Another big time weight here, as Cam Coy looks to continue his momentum from last season. I'll take the 3x Super32 champ Sam Krivus, Sam beat Cam last year twice, however both matches were close. Others that will look to grab a medal will be Dalton Zimmerman,Hunter Dean, Jacoby Ward, Tyler Vath, Shaun Wilson,Chase Childers,Frank Aycox and Kevin Budock.

145- The top 4 here is as good anywhere, Michael Kemmerer,Vincenzo Joseph,Hayden Hidlay and Jared Veerleren. Hidlay lost to kemmerer twice last year both times by a 7-3 score, kemerer was 1-2 vs joseph last year and Verkleeren is as tough as the other 3. I'l take Joseph for his 2nd Powerade Tilte.Others who will be looking to place are, Jake Adcock, Travis Vasques,Sam Bullard,Nick Monica, Dean Esquibel and Mike Risnear.

152- Who will be the top seed? Most Say Josh Maruca but Jake Wentzel beat him at Super32. Super32 champ Thomas Bullard beat Wentzel in the Super32 semis and he deserves the top spot. I will take Maruca for the title, Joe Tavoso will threaten to make the finals. Others to watch are Nino Bonnacorsi,Mitch Hartman, Paul Hutton,Ethan Smith and Conner Francis.

160- It's a two horse race here as Josh Shields and Cole Walter look to battle it out to OT again, Last year shields got the winning takedown in extra time, can Cole pull of the upset this year? Others that  will look to push these two are, Noah Stewart,Derek Verkleeren, Greg Bulsak,Garrett Neff,Dominic Vitale,DJ Hollingshead,Tony Palumbo, Garrett Zuver,Abner Romero and Paul Dunn.

170 - This weight is wide open some names jump out as frontrunners, Austin Bell,Devin Austin,Jake Shaffer, Daniel Bullard, Jimmy Miller and Dale Provance.

182 - Did Kellon Stout outgrow 182? If so this weight is up for grabs. The top 10 here are dead even, Tommy Provance, Josh Colello,Billy Bowlen, Milton Kobaly, Mike Millero,Quinn Miller, Carter Capehart, Colin McCracken, Stephan Gibbs, Nick Miller and Trey Hartsock. Take your pick.

195- The top 5 here are very good, Kellon Stout, Dylan Reynolds, Kevin Snyder, Kai Dill and Andrew Phipps. I'll go with kellon Stout and a Drew Phipps final, with stout winning it. Look for Logan Womelsdorf,Ryan Mills, Young Wooan and Conner Buttry to make a push for the podium.

220- A few Solid wrestlers at the top, they are Jacob Robb, Omar Haddad, Fred Mantsch, Zak Levantino,Cole Rickert and Dylan Davis. I think its a Robb vs Haddad in the finals with Haddad winning it.

285- weak weight here, Allen Beattie is the favorite with Zeynul Z. as a 2 seed. Neither should be challenged before that. Beattie should win the weight.

Enjoy and please give feedback.

Edited by greenmt.

106 - Is Gavin Teasdale the favorite? Or will TY Agaisse be dropping down after the +2, If not then Logan Grass should be the one who can push Gavin for the title. Others to watch are Cole Manley, Charlie Lenox,Daniel Planta, Josh Humphreys, Caleb Morris and Vinny Artigues.

113 - It will be Spencer Lee winning, the only question is how bad. The only one I see giving him a match is Beast champ Ty Agaisse and he might drop. If he doesn't then these two are the clear 1-2. Others who shold make some noise are, John Pipa,Jared Donahue,Gage Bayless,Hunter Baxter,Alan Diltz and Aaron Burkett.

120- Can Devin Brown jump two weights and still be a Powerade champ? We shall see, many can give him a match as he is undersized at 120. I'm going with Alex Macall for the title, He's beaten Yanni D and gave Soriano all he wanted 6 weeks ago. Devin Brown and Jacob Lizak went into OT last year in the semis, Taylor Ortz, Durbin Lloren,Kyson Levin, Zach Hartman, Brendon Howard, Tyler Kenney and Ricky Cavallo. Will make it interesting.

126- Will Luke Pletcher be dropping down? Reports are he can't make flat 126, but with the +2 it makes it interesting. If he stays up then 126 will be won by Jorden Allen, most forget he had Luke on the ropes last year in the quarters but lost 10-9, he never gets tired and scrambles very well. He will be pushed If Micky Phillipi decides to drop, not sure if micky can though. Others to watch are Cole Aaron, Alejandro Jimenez, Ryan Friedman, Mike Stuart,Conner Ziegler and Gus Solomon.

132- If Pletcher and Phillipi stays up, then 132 will be very exciting to watch as AC Headlee looks to make his 1st Powerade Finals apperence. He will have to go through one of them in a semi matchup. Others who will be looking to place will be Cole Clever,Dom Giannagelli,Mike Bartolo,Conner Borton,Nic Campbell and Chris Diaz.

138- Another big time weight here, as Cam Coy looks to continue his momentum from last season. I'll take the 3x Super32 champ Sam Krivus, Sam beat Cam last year twice, however both matches were close. Others that will look to grab a medal will be Dalton Zimmerman,Hunter Dean, Jacoby Ward, Tyler Vath, Shaun Wilson,Chase Childers,Frank Aycox and Kevin Budock.

145- The top 4 here is as good anywhere, Michael Kemmerer,Vincenzo Joseph,Hayden Hidlay and Jared Veerleren. Hidlay lost to kemmerer twice last year both times by a 7-3 score, kemerer was 1-2 vs joseph last year and Verkleeren is as tough as the other 3. I'l take Joseph for his 2nd Powerade Tilte.Others who will be looking to place are, Travis Vasques,Sam Bullard,Nick Monica, Dean Esquibel and Mike Risnear.

152- Who will be the top seed? Most Say Josh Maruca but Jake Wentzel beat him at Super32. Super32 champ Thomas Bullard beat Wentzel in the Super32 semis and he deserves the top spot. I will take Maruca for the title. Others to watch are Nino Bonnacorsi,Mitch Hartman, Paul Hutton,Ethan Smith and Conner Francis.

160- It's a two horse race here as Josh Shields and Cole Walter look to battle it out to OT again, Last year shields got the winning takedown in extra time, can Cole pull of the upset this year? Others that  will look to push these two are, Noah Stewart,Derek Verkleeren,Garrett Neff,Dominic Vitale,DJ Hollingshead,Tony Palumbo, Garrett Zuver,Abner Romero and Paul Dunn.

170 - This weight is wide open some names jump out as frontrunners, Austin Bell,Devin Austin,Jake Shaffer, Daneil Bullard, Jimmy Miller and Dale Provance.

182 - Did Kellon Stout outgrow 182? If so this weight is up for grabs. The top 10 here are dead even, Tommy Provance, Josh Colello,Billy Bowlen, Milton Kobaly, Mike Millero, Carter Capehart, Colin McCracken, Stephan Gibbs, Nick Miller and Trey Hartsock. Take your pick.

195- The top 5 here are very good, Kellon Stout, Dylan Reynolds, Kevin Snyder, Kai Dill and Andrew Phipps. I'll go with kellon Stout and a Drew Phipps final, with stout winning it. Look for Logan Womelsdorf,Ryan Mills, Young Wooan and Conner Buttry to make a push for the podium.

220- A few Solid wrestlers at the top, they are Jacob Robb, Omar Haddad, Fred Mantsch, Zak Levantino,Cole Rickert and Dylan Davis. I think its a Robb vs Haddad in the finals with Haddad winning it.

285- weak weight here, Allen Beattie is the favorite with Zeynul Z. as a 2 seed. Neither should be challenged before that. Beattie should win the weight.

Enjoy and please give feedback.

Buchanan-Clovis HS, California (Central Section)

106 - Ethan Leake (Fr.): 2nd FLO Nationals - middle school - ranked #14 CA (TCW)

113 - Alejandro Jimenez (Sr.): CIF State Qualifier - ranked #10 CA (TCW)

120 - Ross Arve (Sr.): CIF State Qualifier - ranked #13 CA (TCW)

126 - Durbin Lloren (Jr.): 5th, 5th CA State, FLO & NHSCA All-American - ranked #2 CA (TCW)

132 - Dean Esquibel (Sr.): CIF State Qualifier - ranked #13 CA (TCW)

138 - Greg Gaxiola (Jr.): CIF State Qualifier, NHSCA All-American - ranked #8 CA (TCW)

145 - Kyler Hansen (Sr.): CIF State Qualifier, NHSCA All-American - ranked #10 CA (TCW)

152 - Conner Francis (Sr.): 6th CA State, NHSCA All-American - ranked #3 CA (TCW)

160 - Abner Romero (Jr.): 8th CA State, NHSCA All-American - ranked #4 CA (TCW)

170 - Anthony Montalvo (Fr.)

182 - Cade Belshay (Soph.)

195 - Young Woo An (Sr.): CIF State Qualifier, NHSCA All-American - ranked #5 CA (TCW)

220 - Kai Dill (Sr.): CIF State Qualifier - ranked #1 CA (TCW)

285 – Zak Levatino (Jr.): CIF State Qualifier - ranked #16 CA (TCW)

TCW = The California Wrestler Newsletter.

California State Rankings - Pre-Season

http://www.ccsrank.com/statedata.html

Edited by Coach_Al

Just some updates on weights and other stats for a few of the WPIAL guys:

Michael Kemerer just won Ironman at 145.  Vincenzo Joseph was runner-up at 152.  Josh Maruca was 5th at 152. 

Kellan Stout is wrestling at 182 this season.  Nino Bonaccorsi won a local tournament (Eastern Area) at 152 last weekend.

I was wrong on a few weights, Ty Agaisse will be at 113 or 120,Devin Brown will be at 113, Spencer Lee will be at 120,Dan Planta is wrestling at 113, Ricky Cavallo has wrestled at 132, Justin McCoy should be at 126, I'm sure there is more but these are the ones I caught.This tournament is wide open, Franklin Regional is the favorite but they just lost to Belle Vernon. Also in the hunt will be,Delbarton, Latrobe, St. Puals,Canon Mac, Bucannon,Waynesburg, Good Counsel. Archer will bring a solid squad but overall will the georgia team have enough studs? They have 3 for sure but you need more than that at Powerade. The seeds will be out in a few days, brackets should be out on Sunday.

Edited by greenmt.

These weights are loaded with talent, 120,126,132,145,152 and 160. It will be very interesting to see how the none seeded wrestlers will fair vs the seeds. These weights are about 20 deep per weight, look for great matches in the round of 32. Also a handful of interesting matchups vs two top 10 wrestlers in the country.

Gus Solomon should have been seeded. He knocked off two nationally seeded wrestlers at ironman. There's a couple of other odd seedings too. Hayden Hidlay should have been seeded behind M. Kemerer. It looks like the seeding committee went more by their record than national ranking. I thought everything would be taken into consideration