Sign in to follow this  
tirapell

Iowa vs. ISU Recap

I watched the whole dual, start to finish, so I'll give a few thoughts overall...

125 - Gilman slugged and pushed Larson for 7 minutes and scored on a late counter to make it look worse than it was.  Very little offense generated.

133 - Clark won this match on the mat.  Gave up the first TD to Hall but kills him once he gets on top.  I generally like watching Clark but he was a little slow too getting offense going.

141 - Could be a future stud here with Dante Rodriguez, true freshman from ISU.  I thought he was aggressive and unphased by the atmosphere and really was close to turning the match around. Dziewa is same, no real offense but experience and strength versus true freshman showed.  Another match dominated on the mat by Iowa and late TD & turn made it look lopsided.  Was 5-2 until the end.

149 - Sorensen was one of the more aggressive Hawks in terms of real leg attacks.  Got a good lead but Moreno came back.  One of better matches of the night.

157 - Kelly wrestled hard and tried offense but he's limited. Goettl really lost this match more than Kelly won it with awful mat wrestling, giving up 2 reversals and getting ridden a lot.  Give Kelly credit for wrestling through all the positions.  He was more solid than Goettl.

165 - Moreno just out-wrestled Moore.  Got to the legs more often and finished.  Match was close late but again, Moore had a hard time generating his own offense.

174 - Evans punched, slugged, pushed, pulled, and fought Weatherman for 7 minutes, but didn't get his hands locked on a leg one time off of his own offense.  He has a great down block to an angle reshot that scored him 2 TD's, one in the last 20 seconds of the match.  Weatherman scored on TD on defense as well.  Really boring match if you like offense as all scores were counters.

184 - Brooks looked good, one of best of night.  Made a lot of attempts and scored often. Big move was takedown and quick tilt at end of first period as Weatherspoon stopped wrestling.  This basically ended the match.  Weatherspoon was one of least aggressive ISU wrestlers and really had a poor showing in this match.  Looks like he has lots of talent by some of the exchanges, but did very little.

197 - Gadson has great athletic talent and chooses to use it only occasionally.  Almost nothing happened for 5 minutes, then Gadson makes one shot, and scores at end of 2nd.  He nearside cradles Klapprodt right off whistle in 3rd and takes it over for the fall.  Couldn't see what ensued off-camera, but he got a little crazy on the Hawk fans and lost a team-point for it.  Not many guys at 197 can beat Gadson but he's hard to watch when his matches have a total of 30 seconds of action.

285 - Telford scored on 2 snatch singles and would have pinned Smith a lot earlier but time ran out in both periods.  He looked good, but was easily the most lopsided match of the night.  Not sure Smith will have a .500 record this year.  Telford did get offense going and that's always been his issue.  He may be able to challenge this year.

I didn't think Iowa State looked as bad as others are claiming.  I know they weren't really 'in' the dual as far as being able to win and some may be unhappy with where the team is at in Jackson's 6th year, but they wrestled aggressively on their feet for the most part.  In fact, I'd guess they out-shot Iowa in the dual.  Problem was, they were out-classed in many of their more aggressive matches - 125, 133 and 141.

Iowa really struggled for offense on their feet.  Guys spent so much effort hand fighting, they forgot to try and score.  Gilman, Clark, Dziewa, Moore, and Evans all did very little on their feet.  Gilman and Evans almost exclusively scored on counter-attacks.  I don't believe they ever touched a leg offensively.  If you can't generate your own offense, it's going to be very difficult to stand at the top of the podium.

The one area Iowa was fundamentally sound and killed Iowa State was mat wrestling.  In fact, this was probably the difference in the dual.  Iowa State made some huge mistakes on the mat -- giving up escapes at end of period, getting reversed, and giving up a lot of riding while garnering very little themselves.  They had a great opportunity to win 149 and 157 but lost on the mat.  Same at 133 with Hall, who can definitely wrestle with Clark on his feet, but gets dominated on the mat.  Coach Jackson can't be happy about their efforts on top/bottom.  Really glaring weakness compared to the Hawks.

165 - Moreno just out-wrestled Moore.  Got to the legs more often and finished.  Match was close late but again, Moore had a hard time generating his own offense.

All that, "hands up, don't shoot" was obviously getting to Moore. I should get a special one time exemption on the LMS contest.

Thanks Tirapell, I think the problem with Iowa overall is that their kids are not overly "athletic."  Yes they can improve and add more of the Iowa style to their game but guys like Moore, Evans and pretty much their team up and down the lineup aren't going to be able to show tremendous improvement because they aren't real explosive and quick.  It's tough to shoot when you aren't quick enough to get to the leg.    

Guest Reviver

Thanks Tirapell, I think the problem with Iowa overall is that their kids are not overly "athletic."  Yes they can improve and add more of the Iowa style to their game but guys like Moore, Evans and pretty much their team up and down the lineup aren't going to be able to show tremendous improvement because they aren't real explosive and quick.  It's tough to shoot when you aren't quick enough to get to the leg.    

Do other takedowns require that much speed as opposed to shrewd positioning, strength and determination (which are more within the realm of control of each wrestler)?  For example, the duck under and the fireman's carry can work and one need not necessarily be that quick if one works on the abovementioned attributes.   

Do other takedowns require that much speed as opposed to shrewd positioning, strength and determination (which are more within the realm of control of each wrestler)?  For example, the duck under and the fireman's carry can work and one need not necessarily be that quick if one works on the abovementioned attributes.   

They may not require as much speed but speed would certainly help their effectiveness.