Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Askren asks Dake if he's busy

Askren destroys Dake and Taylor and probably embarrasses Burroughs.   The above mentioned are freestylers and damn good at it, but Askren is a hybrid folkstyler and he's a lot bigger than them.    He's cleaning Wright's clock adn making Herbert look lost.   Lets get real guys, he dismantles the field at 74 kg from the USA at his style.   

Yes, because Dake, Taylor, and Burroughs were all terrible at folkstyle...

Really? People think Askren will manhandle Burroughs because he's, what, 10-15 lbs bigger? 3x gold medallist Burroughs?

I suggest going on YouTube and watching Burroughs wrestle with the slightly bigger Gavin. Works him. Apparently beat up Herbert in practise as well.

Or watch Askrens match vs Poeta. An even smaller "poor mans Burroughs" if you will. Askren barely wins, giving up a ton if points. Clean, hard shots are what he struggles with (not a knock on Ben, that's just the risk you take as a counter scrambler.) Burroughs has the fastest shots and cleanest finishes in the world today.

Look, Askren is good. Upsets happen and Marable beat Burroughs do I suppose Ben has a shot. But if they wrestle 5x, JB wins at least 4.

How were they at hybrid folkstyle?  

Hybrid folkstyle... the only consistent competitor is Ben Askren. Every of other guy is a guest to the "league" who focuses on EITHER American folk or Freestyle. It's pretty easy to rule a one man league where you're literally the only practitioner of said style.

Hybrid folkstyle... the only consistent competitor is Ben Askren. Every of other guy is a guest to the "league" who focuses on EITHER American folk or Freestyle. It's pretty easy to rule a one man league where you're literally the only practitioner of said style.

Perhaps you mean he makes it look easy as he continues to destroy NCAA champions and world medalists, left and right.   

Askrens good, no argument there. It's just the "he'd beat up Burroughs" stuff that I disagree with.

How many world medallists has Askren "destroyed" anyway, Herbert aside? I think he beat Eggum and Fundora at the end of their careers (after Fundora beat him at the Olympics) but that's hardly out of the ordinary for a top American. Gavin beat Herbert and Sokhiev. Dake beat Tsargush and that 2x bronze medallist- in their primes. Taylor beat Hasaynov and Kurbanaliev: Metcalf beat Kurbalaniev, Romanov and Hasaynov.

Perhaps you mean he makes it look easy as he continues to destroy NCAA champions and world medalists, left and right.   

Left and right? He's wrestled, what, twice to three times a year for each of the last two years? If he was wrestling 20-30 matches in a given year and consistently beating everyone from Dake to Ruth, as well as the best Russians, Iranians, Cubans, Turks and Azeris in one SPECIFIC style, not a hybrid that plays to his own very unique strengths, I would be 100% behind you.

I'll say it again, Askren has more than proven that he shouldn't be counted out of a match within national borders. The dude is among the best wrestlers/grapplers in the U.S. for the last decade, hands down. However, you're making effort to elevate him to Gable (Soviets scour the entire country for a guy who can beat him), Schalles (alleged Guinness world record holder for wins and pins, X amount of World/Olympic champs) and John Smith (Six titles in a row and beat (a retired and out of shape) Beloglazov) when he was a one-time rep of the WTT/OTT champ and went 1-1 with no medal and is the only guy who wrestles the style you're clamming makes him superior to everyone else, world wide.

big fan of Askren but if he wants to wrestle Dake he can enter the open tournaments that Dake is wrestling in. i understand he is trying to start something with Flo Premier (and Agon before it) so while i applaud his entrepreneurial efforts i hope everyone is smart enough to realize Dake isn't ducking him. it's Askren who either isn't paying enough or is avoiding Dake. 

too bad freestyle isn't lucrative enough to have all the top guys go at each other more than once every year or two. 

also where is DT? is he sticking to training camps and the NLWC exclusively or is he ever going overseas again?

DT looked pretty big last time he walked out on the mat. Askren Taylor might be a good even sized match at 175ish. 

any word on when Taylor is going to wrestle again? he hasn't competed since the team trials, correct? 

He might be too busy with other projects....

Bj2ebLJCAAAlP59_zpsad31e35b.jpg

big fan of Askren but if he wants to wrestle Dake he can enter the open tournaments that Dake is wrestling in. i understand he is trying to start something with Flo Premier (and Agon before it) so while i applaud his entrepreneurial efforts i hope everyone is smart enough to realize Dake isn't ducking him. it's Askren who either isn't paying enough or is avoiding Dake. 

too bad freestyle isn't lucrative enough to have all the top guys go at each other more than once every year or two. 

also where is DT? is he sticking to training camps and the NLWC exclusively or is he ever going overseas again?

That would be fun to see him enter one of those tournaments with Dake, wouldn't it?!  Come on Ben, do it!

Edited by VQLSWAIN

Left and right? He's wrestled, what, twice to three times a year for each of the last two years? If he was wrestling 20-30 matches in a given year and consistently beating everyone from Dake to Ruth, as well as the best Russians, Iranians, Cubans, Turks and Azeris in one SPECIFIC style, not a hybrid that plays to his own very unique strengths, I would be 100% behind you.

I'll say it again, Askren has more than proven that he shouldn't be counted out of a match within national borders. The dude is among the best wrestlers/grapplers in the U.S. for the last decade, hands down. However, you're making effort to elevate him to Gable (Soviets scour the entire country for a guy who can beat him), Schalles (alleged Guinness world record holder for wins and pins, X amount of World/Olympic champs) and John Smith (Six titles in a row and beat (a retired and out of shape) Beloglazov) when he was a one-time rep of the WTT/OTT champ and went 1-1 with no medal and is the only guy who wrestles the style you're clamming makes him superior to everyone else, world wide.

I don't claim Askren is superior world wide.   My point on Askren is he beats our guys at 74 KG in a hybrid folk match.  That's all.  Taylor, Dake, Burroughs, etc., he beats those guys.   

He's calling out Dake and  I feel he's sort of picking on him and putting Dake in a bad spot.   Askren knows Dake has nothing for him.  Askren has been demolishing our bigger guys, guys like Herbert and Wright.   He's kind of being a bully.   

With all that said I hope Dake accepts the challenge and after Askren disposes of Dake, I'd imagine Burroughs would be next on his radar.   It's good marketing and it's good for our sport.  It's win/win as far as I see it.