Sign in to follow this  
Guest Reviver

Bedlam! Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State, Sunday Dec. 7th, 2014

Guest Reviver
Bedlam!  

dm_130816_bucketlist_bedlamwrestling.jpg

On Sunday, Dec. 7th, 2014, the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, two of the NCAA's Top 25 ranked Division 1 wrestling teams:

will have their first of two annual showdowns.   Last season, during one of the showdowns:

2353803988_be5a046636_z.jpg

the Sooners won by a single point.  

The showdowns will be well-attended.   Here are each team's results for this season:

:?: Why do they call it Bedlam?    Well, Bedlam's the nickname of a hospital  that's located in London, the United Kingdom which specializes in the treatment of insanity.     8-) 

Anyhow  here's Oklahoma's roster:

DSTRYRSG.com_MARK_CODY_CHICKEN_ZONE_BREA

Meanwhile, here's Oklahoma State's:

Any predictions?      8-)

So jealous of my buddies getting to attend this.  Enjoy guys.  Like all big duals, this one usually has a few shockers.  I like John's chances today of a one-sided victory, but man, I've thought that several times from 1969-current, with surprising results out of both programs.  Henning/Martin...Jimmy "JJ" Jackson/Dr. Death, Steve Williams...Jeff Callard/Rocket Ron Ray...Esposito/Ware, Brown/McQuaig sheesh, what memories this series has given me and my friends.

Guest Reviver

Last year, attendance was 5,135:

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/020914aaa.html

This year it was 4,244:

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/120714aaa.html 

I suppose it helped last year that there was a revenge motive in the air after the Sooners had won Bedlam in Norman months before.   Still, a nearly 20% dropoff in attendance for one of our nation's most accomplished wrestling programs is admittedly saddening.  But then again, 4,244 is a fine crowd size too.   Just not what the new Oklahoma Thunder NBA team gets.   Attendance in Norman is considerably less, still.    

Guest Reviver

The season's final Bedlam showdown will be in Norman, OK on Sunday, Feb. 8th, 2015.   One can probably count on the Oklahoma Sooners' being attentive hosts... 

Bedlam300x250.png

Any thoughts?   

If only some of that D-1 wrestling could trickle down into neighboring Texas:

texas_oklahoma_map.GIF

Texas has has several Big 12 conference members (U.T., TCU, Texas Tech & Baylor) but presently no NCAA D1 wrestling teams...

BIG_12_MAP.jpg
The Big 12's new head honcho has strong wrestling credentials, by the way:

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1514842&DB_OEM_ID=10410&DB_OEM_ID=10410