Sign in to follow this  
Bucksfan

The BLATANT ducking of Tomasello by Peters

I find it comical that you get a small handfull of posters coming out of the woodwork when tOSU doesnt put up a completely dominating performance and yet, when a blatant ducking happens to a member of that squad, no on says a peep.

There was absolutely no reason for Peters to Med forfeit out of the tourny. He didnt get hurt, that was obvious if you watched his last match with Dance? So why did he do it? Not hard to figure it out. Now, i get the reasoning from the NIU staff, but what does that say about the faith you have in your wrestler? I mean, the coaches are saying, "Dylan, we are pulling you out because we dont think you can beat Tomasello a second time and we need to protect your seed against him come March, so we want you to quit the rest of this tourny, ok?"

Really? A wrestler should not be able to just up and quit just because he is afraid to lose a match.

Are you sure Peters ducked him? Nothing else was going on? It seems odd to me because Peters is a returning AA with a win already over the redshirt freshman. Peters also defaulted in the 5th/6th place match. I guess anything is possible.

Did you even watch his matches? If not then go do it. At no time was he injured in any way. He pins Tomasello (is he injured this match?...no), goes on to wrestle Dance hard and gets pinned from a chin back. At no time did he get slammed hard or bend an elbow or twist an ankle. He was full go, then got pinned, got right up shaked hands and walked off the mat. Then all the sudden he develops a medical condition right before having to face Tomasello again? Hmmm

I'm just saying that I find it hard to believe a returning All American would be ducking a redshirt freshman whom he just pinned several rounds earlier. To me it's more believable that something else was going on. 

Yes, I'm sure Peters was terrified of the guy he had just pancaked.

Exactly! So why not go out and simply do it again to him? Huh?

Rec, did u watch the match? I dont think u did. that true frosh was beating his ass 7-2 before he hit that cowcatcher and his coaches knew it. They knew he got a gift that match, otherwise they would have just sent him out there to pin Tomasello again. It was a seeding move, plain and simple.

Easy way to prevent this. Don't get pinned by someone you think you can beat.  It is not Schwabs job to worry about begin fair to some kid from another team. He should be worried about the welfare of his wrestler. In an early season tournament there could be a lot of legit reasons to default out at that point. He could have been sick heading into the tournament and after seeing his first few matches Schwab could have said that is enough.  Maybe that is why NT was even able to score on him and didn't get pinned in the first period. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Ok use this scenerio for example:

Last year Colon pinned Ramos in much the same move. Now, had this been a quarters match and Colon lost in Semis and then Med FF out of tourny with his next match being Ramos in consis, this board would BLOW UP over that. Iowa would have riots in the streets!

This isnt quite at that magnitude but we r still talkin about AA candidates and seeding will be huge as these two will be close in March

The OP makes a point that is probably true.  I remember the one and only time that I didn't make weight.  There scale was off by 1/2 lb and the guy had a grudge from a previous incident.  This was to be a showdown between a me the senior, and a new kid on the block and frankly it was 50/50 as to how it would have turned out.  If he had beaten me his seed at the OVAC tournament would have been higher.  As it was, I was 3rd seed, and he was 5th because I had won the Steubenville Invitational and beat a guy who beat him.  Forfeiting that match insured my higher seed, but it wasn't planned that way.

Edited by skikayaker

Are you 100% positive he wasn't hurt? 100% certain nothing else was going on? 

Didn't think so.....

I have no horse in the race. That means I can look at this without being biased. 

With that said, I can also see it occurring, for when it comes time for seeding at another major tournament--like the NCAAs, Peters has a big win over Tomasello which keeps him ranked higher. 

But in the end, you still don't know for certain the reason behind the MFF. 

What's the purpose of a tournament?  Most aren't even scored so other than the occasional bragging rights they mean nothing.  This event was just about getting guys matches to prepare themselves for nationals.  Who cares the reason the match wasn't wrestled.

Until matches have an impact on the team no one is going to wrestle these matches.  Coaches are wise to not wrestle consi-finals matches if an athlete is coming off an upsetting loss.  No benefit for the team.  If a kid is a little banged up you may wrestle a tournament but even he only has a hangnail there is no point to risk a second loss.  Kid got a few matches in which is all the trip was about.

What does improving your team's score at Vegas mean?  Absolutely nothing!

I remember one tournament I finished my match, shook hands, walked off, and began shaking uncontrollably a few minutes later. I had to default out. If you had saw me wrestle my match you would have come to the conclusion that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. Point being: you have no idea if Peters was healthy or not. When somebody Medical defaults, it generally follows that there's a medical reason.

Edited by BigRedMachine

Although some regard me as a maize/blue Michigan guy occasionally (rightly or wrongly) accused of Buckeye hatred, any TRUE wrestling afficionado would have welcomed this rematch as nothing but POSITIVE for the sport.  That it COULD have occurred but didn't is quite NEGATIVE, disappointing at best and, at least, SUSPECT.  Sad really and anathema to the spirit of competition of individual athletes fortunate to participate at this level.  I believe both of these terrific wrestlers would have relished the challenge/opportunity.....if the decision could have been theirs to make.  The prolonged absence of any believable explanation for the scratch only putrefies further the air surrounding the incident.

Edited by wreferee

What's the purpose of a tournament?  Most aren't even scored so other than the occasional bragging rights they mean nothing.  

What does improving your team's score at Vegas mean?  Absolutely nothing!

Oh here we go with the "this means nothing" talk. You do know when that phrase is brought about its normally from the LOSER side. Try telling the wrestlers that this tourny means nothing. That losing a match here means nothing. That earning your chance at redemption as well as NCAA seeding Iimplications means nothing. Yea, good call bud.