Sign in to follow this  
mlbruem

Mizzou vs Ohio State 12/14

Forfeiting 141 did not help Missouri win the meet. Ironically, in the 2011-2013 rulebook, forfeiting would have, as it was not considered in criteria two (falls and tech-falls). In the 2013-2015 rulebook, forfeiting is considered in criteria two (six-point victories), and, in terms of criteria, is considered equivalent to losing by fall.

Interesting. If that's true, it kinda turns the table on all of the Ohio St. fans complaining about a forfeit and wanting to see good matches. Why didn't they just fill at 141 to take the forfeit, and then bump Logan up to wrestle Houdashelt? Would've been a great match and Hunter was apparently not 100%.

what I saw at the match, Logan came in full gear with ear guards strapped on. He was expecting to wrestle then the referee took the arm upward. The crowd went ape-****. Look like they expected the wrestler to make the weight at last minute. Edited by Buckeye4u

Interesting.  If that's true, it kinda turns the table on all of the Ohio St. fans complaining about a forfeit and wanting to see good matches.  Why didn't they just fill at 141 to take the forfeit, and then bump Logan up to wrestle Houdashelt?  Would've been a great match and Hunter was apparently not 100%.  

Interesting.  If that's true, it kinda turns the table on all of the Ohio St. fans complaining about a forfeit and wanting to see good matches.  Why didn't they just fill at 141 to take the forfeit, and then bump Logan up to wrestle Houdashelt?  Would've been a great match and Hunter was apparently not 100%.

Had they known Moisey wasnt going to wrestle they would have. Logan up to 149, Languis at 157 and Demas up to 165. Languis may have lost but not bonused. Demas would have majored that mizzou 165 for sure. Would have worked out in hindsight, but hey of courseeverything 20/20.....

Confirmed, heard this from wrestlers who were weighing in, he weighed in at 143

It is hard to imagine that a D1 wrestler accidentally missed weight by a full two pounds.  

I can see possibly on a rare occasion, 0.1 or 0.2 pounds due to scale difference, but 2 pounds?  If true, that is obviously an intentional miss. 

It is hard to imagine that a D1 wrestler accidentally missed weight by a full two pounds.  

I can see possibly on a rare occasion, 0.1 or 0.2 pounds due to scale difference, but 2 pounds?  If true, that is obviously an intentional miss.

If he was 143 he missed it by 1 pound, 2nd consecutive day of competition +1 pound.

Do you get a pound in college for consecutive weigh-in days?  Mizzou wrestled on Saturday too, so he would have needed to make 142 if they got a pound.  

Edited by KCMO2

Most of Mizzou's team was at the UNI open, including starting hwt Devin Mellon..Two 141's entered for Mizzou.Not sure they had any backups with them.Cox Miklus and Eblen have been interchanging the top 3 weights as compitition warrants.If any matchup blame needs delt...deal it to Mellon the 5 year sr who cant make himself eligible.Every Mizzou fan wanted to see Cox vs Snyder also but you can't give another 6 away.Both heavy backups are fr and are red****ing.

Whether he didn't make weight or Coach Smith decided to sit him to protect a future seed, what difference does it make?  In my opinion, it would have been a smart move either way.  They sat McCormick a few years ago against Ramos at the National Duels and nobody questioned that...whether that was intentional or not doesn't matter.  The end goal for any program is to do as well as possible in March, and if sitting Mayes against Stieber will give him a higher seed later in the year, then good for them.

With that said, it does sound to me like he missed weight.  Didn't the duel start at 125?  If so, I highly doubt that Coach Smith would give up 6 team points automatically while only three matches in.  But it's possible...if they care more about seeding in March than a duel here, then that's a smart move.

As far as people being pissy about not getting to see Logan wrestle or not getting to see Snyder vs. Cox, and somehow making this about growing the sport...get over it.  The people that supposedly "drove hours" to see the dual...I'm pretty sure they're not new fans driving that far to see a college wrestling meet.  And what about those who went to the All Start meet wanting to see Logan wrestle there??  Regardless of why the forfeits happened, they did...there's no difference.

Edited by The_MO_Godfather

Also, I don't think you can penalize a team for forfeiting.  What happens if the kid is truly sick (pissing blood or whatever)?  You're going to have coaches like Brands telling him it doesn't matter how sick he is, "we're not losing team points".  And not every team travels with backups.  So you have to spend more of your teams budget to fly and room your backups, just in case one of your starters can't go?  How do you differentiate whether they're sick enough or not?

Nah, there's no fair way to penalize across the board.

Whether he didn't make weight or Coach Smith decided to sit him to protect a future seed, what difference does it make?  In my opinion, it would have been a smart move either way.  They sat McCormick a few years ago against Ramos at the National Duels and nobody questioned that...whether that was intentional or not doesn't matter.  The end goal for any program is to do as well as possible in March, and if sitting Mayes against Stieber will give him a higher seed later in the year, then good for them.

I don't blame Smith or Mizzou. The problem is the system that incentivizes it. What you wrote in bold is the problem. The fact that a team can purposely lose a team competition and as a result be in a better position to finish higher at nationals is a major problem in our sport.

I don't blame Smith or Mizzou. The problem is the system that incentivizes it. What you wrote in bold is the problem. The fact that a team can purposely lose a team competition and as a result be in a better position to finish higher at nationals is a major problem in our sport.

That's a very good point.  As long as the game is played that way, though, and there are no consequences...you have to play it.

How the heck do any of you know that's not what happened to Mayes? .

Dang dude calm down. I know he didnt make weight because Logan told it to me to my face. He was right there when he stepped on the scale. 143 is what he weighed. Believe what you want. Go ahead, call Logan Stieber a liar. That guy could sneeze in your direction and dislocate your puny shoulder sockets.

For the record I believe Mizzous coaches made the correct choice 100%. They dont do what they did, they would have lost the dual. They did what was required for the team to win (re: JDen).

They've been doing that all season.  Cox has been at Hwt. since the beginning (until Mellon returns, I presume), and the only shuffling has been between Eblen and Miklus between 84 and 97.  Mizzou doesn't have anyone else to wrestle Hwt. besides Cox until Mellon comes back.  I don't think it had anything to do with winning or losing the duel...just what they've been doing.

Anyone that thought you'd see Snyder vs. Cox should have checked into this first.  J'Den hasn't been at 197 yet.  At least, if I was going to drive 2 hours in the snow up hill to see Snyder vs. Cox, I would have done a little more research first.  Just sayin...

Edited by The_MO_Godfather

What are you guys talking about, Missouri WON?? In fact, both coaches did everything in their power to win this dual. H. Stieber wrested when he probably shouldn't have and Cox bumped up a weight for the team. In the end, this was an exciting event and evidence that duals do matter under the current system.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

I don't think college football would be as successful if all the top teams who know they have the talent to qualify at a conference tournament to make it to the national tournament decided to play their starters for 1/2 the game as tune-up, but to also not get burned out.  So what if they end the season with a losing record.  Their fresh, injury free, and they have the talent to win it all.

Edited by skikayaker