Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

South Dakota State

Both South Dakota State and North Dakota State are making great strides.

I would just like to mention how I like South Dakota State's scheduling of Augustana at the Sanford Pentagon (neutral site arena). It is great to see a dual promoted as a dual. Not sure how many attended this year but 1,200 last year was a nice crowd. Last year was the first ever meeting between the two schools. I think D1 teams wrestling non-D1 regional teams is good for the sport and I am a huge fan of promoting single duals rather than dual festivals or tournaments. They got some nice video news coverage last year. http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32026&Itemid=58#video_player

SDSU beat Division-II #16 Augustana 30-3 after just escaping with a win 17-15 last year.

Would be nice to see the two Dakota schools build in parallel and have a nice rivalry going. SDSU goes to Fargo this Sunday to take on NDSU in their first of two duals this year (similar to Bedlam).

The upcoming dual is a non conference match, it is called the Battle for the Border Bell, a traveling trophy awarded to the winner of the dual.

This is the second year for the event with NDSU winning the inaugural dual last year.

Photos of the SDSU vs. Augustana College dual are at link below.

http://www.matshots.com/2014%20WR%20SDSU%20Augie/albums.html

MS

"Last year was the first ever meeting between the two schools"

Augustana and SDSU have met 50+ times since 1965

Last year was the first time they have met since SDSU went DI.

Prior to that move they both were in the North Central Conference.

Augustana is now in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference and SDSU is in the Western Wrestling Conference for wrestling.

MS

"Last year was the first ever meeting between the two schools"

Augustana and SDSU have met 50+ times since 1965

I was surprised by that statement as well but it was in the media release so I assumed it was accurate and didn't feel like looking it up just to find out it was correct.

First meeting since going to D1 makes more sense...