Sign in to follow this  
sockobuw

gulibon

i think i am a believer. last year he folds in that match. this year he kept the pressure on and almost majored alexander. gulibon scored a lot of points from the top in hs and is now figuring out how to do it at the highest level.

sgallan,

It isn't a shot at Jimmy at all.  Iowa has recently(but really for the last 40+ years) been labeled with the "endure" philosophy while PSU, under Sanderson, gets the "enjoy" label in Tim Foley's most recent Friday Mailbag.  There has been a bit of back and forth because of this and, to Otis's credit, he found the right opportunity to capitalize on some irony.

sgallan,

It isn't a shot at Jimmy at all.  Iowa has recently(but really for the last 40+ years) been labeled with the "endure" philosophy while PSU, under Sanderson, gets the "enjoy" label in Tim Foley's most recent Friday Mailbag.  There has been a bit of back and forth because of this and, to Otis's credit, he found the right opportunity to capitalize on some irony.

In Cael Sanderson's post match comments he said the Gulibon effort was what most satisfied him tonight. That doesn't square up with Otis' comment about Jimmy's demeanor coming back to bite him by the end of the year. Most of the team looked "matter of fact" or "business as usual" tonight. 

The biggest thing for Jimmy tonight was that he came back and beat a tough opponent, nearly bonusing the guy with the two tilts. As you know, that guy doesn't lose like that often. 

Tbar1977,

Your response makes me think you missed the "irony" as well......

Nah. I know the whole enjoy vs. endure thing. It got under Otis' skin last week when I posted Foley's mailbag article. :-)

BTW, MSU, good luck tonight. Your wife is delivering, right? Good for you, man. Merry Christmas. 

Edited by TBar1977

Gulibon missed the major by one second regarding the second tilt where he got a 4 count before losing control and only getting the 2-NF.  I think he was annoyed that the match didn't go the way he wanted it to (regardless of the impressive 7-pt victory) giving up the first TD, getting ridden out in the first, getting hit with a stall warning riding Alexander out for the entire 2nd period without a tilt, and missing the 3pt NF in the 3rd period by a split second that would have given him the major.  Notable, he also almost had another tilt for back pts losing control of the technique before getting two swipes.  Call it Western PA pride as both kids are tough W.PA kids.  Conditioning and pressure were what opened the opportunities in the 3rd for Gulibon.  I'm thinking Molinaro strength and conditioning coaching is a confidence builder and an asset for the team.

Guilbon and pretty much evey PSU wrestler i've seen this year have been in fantastic shape. i thought Alexander was going to show Guilbon that he is Geoff 3.0 but Jimmy flipped that notion the next two periods. he did look a little hurt at the end. hope his leg is ok. A healthy Guillbon 2.0 makes that weight class more interesting. also hoping Alexander improves over the rest of the year. he did look sharp in the first. 

as far as the endure/enjoy spectrum and where PSU and Iowa fall on it, from my perspective there is zero difference between the two programs. head coaches seem pretty similar too. but i guess its fun to watch both sides take swipes at each other over something so silly. good luck with all that!

Agree here SK. I'd add I thought he was frustrated with the knee brace. His knee & power & flexibility didn't look weak to me, but when he went off the mat, he bent down to fiddle with it, and Casey & Cael were looking at it with him.

Gulibon missed the major by one second regarding the second tilt where he got a 4 count before losing control and only getting the 2-NF.  I think he was annoyed that the match didn't go the way he wanted it to (regardless of the impressive 7-pt victory) giving up the first TD, getting ridden out in the first, getting hit with a stall warning riding Alexander out for the entire 2nd period without a tilt, and missing the 3pt NF in the 3rd period by a split second that would have given him the major.  Notable, he also almost had another tilt for back pts losing control of the technique before getting two swipes.  Call it Western PA pride as both kids are tough W.PA kids.  Conditioning and pressure were what opened the opportunities in the 3rd for Gulibon.  I'm thinking Molinaro strength and conditioning coaching is a confidence builder and an asset for the team.

^^Gulibon was down 2-0 and ridden about 50 seconds at end of first period.  THEN Gulibon, from top, rode out the second period and dominated the third period.  Looked to me like he had Alexander very well scouted and did not once get head trapped underneath.  Very impressive second and third periods for James Gulibon.