Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

Wow...Maryland is embarrassing

Certain camera angles showed a lot of empty seats, other angles showed a bunch of full seats. Within seconds of the start of the first match, a voice could be heard yelling in the background, competing with the announcers, even with their microphones, for volume. It took only a few moments for it to be apparent that it wasn't a coach doing the yelling. I personally was able to tune him out, for the most part, but it took a couple of matches.

During half time, a prepared BTN crew did a mini-feature on Ficker.

Certain camera angles showed a lot of empty seats, other angles showed a bunch of full seats. Within seconds of the start of the first match, a voice could be heard yelling in the background, competing with the announcers, even with their microphones, for volume. It took only a few moments for it to be apparent that it wasn't a coach doing the yelling. I personally was able to tune him out, for the most part, but it took a couple of matches.

During half time, a prepared BTN crew did a mini-feature on Ficker.

His screaming might make it harder for the UMD wrestlers to hear Kerry, not that Kerry seemed communicative to begin with. It is a shame that this guy detracts from the athletes. 

Ficker will be on this forum today reading all about himself. That is what he does. Very egotistical. If he didn't throw huge bucks to the TERPS he wouldn't be tolerated.

On the other hand, the Terps need lots of help. And did we need Brown doing the money sign after he beat PSU 3rd stringer 1-0?

His screaming might make it harder for the UMD wrestlers to hear Kerry, not that Kerry seemed communicative to begin with. It is a shame that this guy detracts from the athletes. 

You're nuts.  He has no affect on the athletes and they've backed him up.

Wrestling has no fans as it is and you're going to rip the most enthusiastic guy in the country??

Honestly, your ridiculous on this point.

Go to almost any NFL or NBA or even Wold Cup Soccer game and you find some interesting fans.  I have seen Robin Flicker at a number of events and competitions. He certainly is interesting to say the least. However, he doesn't root against the opposition or use any profanity. he yells support of his team. He pays his way where ever he goes, travels and is a huge fan. The first few times I heard him, I didn't view him favorably. However, after being in the same gym or room with him I accept he's different but respect he brings positive attention. Strange but true! I only wish more fans would support their local wrestling community and show up at events as he does. 

I thing even Coach Sanderson accepts him?

Go to almost any NFL or NBA or even Wold Cup Soccer game and you find some interesting fans.  I have seen Robin Flicker at a number of events and competitions. He certainly is interesting to say the least. However, he doesn't root against the opposition or use any profanity. he yells support of his team. He pays his way where ever he goes, travels and is a huge fan. The first few times I heard him, I didn't view him favorably. However, after being in the same gym or room with him I accept he's different but respect he brings positive attention. Strange but true! I only wish more fans would support their local wrestling community and show up at events as he does. 

I thing even Coach Sanderson accepts him?

I agree with all of this.  Last month when MD wrestled the Badgers I sat right next to Ficker.  He is actually a really good guy, never yelled anything negative, got the crowed engaged, and showed he is making a very strong effort to learn the sport by asking many good questions.  I was not a fan of his before I sat next to him, but I am now.

I agree with all of this.  Last month when MD wrestled the Badgers I sat right next to Ficker.  He is actually a really good guy, never yelled anything negative, got the crowed engaged, and showed he is making a very strong effort to learn the sport by asking many good questions.  I was not a fan of his before I sat next to him, but I am now.

Why should he have fans? I've been to many venues where he is in attendence...simply put, he's annoying and a distraction. I think I'd have less of a problem with him if his efforts to grab attention weren't so over the top.  It's one thing to yell encouragement ...and quite another to do this "hey, look at me, look at me" act the entire match.