Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

Wow...Maryland is embarrassing

IMO he is horrible for the sport.  He is a boor and makes the Terp wrestling organization look like ignoramus'.  I don't know him personally, but I see parallels between him and DuPont, e.g. if he were to do something insane would anyone be surprised? Would we all say after the fact that the dude is whack?  That he is not representative of our sport and that he is a hanger-on? 

He would be an embarrassment at any junior high or high school meet and would be kicked out immediately.  Kerry McCoy is the definition of class and character.  Why do they allow this?  

That program needs help, but not from him.  

IMO he is horrible for the sport.  He is a boor and makes the Terp wrestling organization look like ignoramus'.  I don't know him personally, but I see parallels between him and DuPont, e.g. if he were to do something insane would anyone be surprised? Would we all say after the fact that the dude is whack?  That he is not representative of our sport and that he is a hanger-on? 

He would be an embarrassment at any junior high or high school meet and would be kicked out immediately.  Kerry McCoy is the definition of class and character.  Why do they allow this?  

I couldn't disagree more.  I've met him, had my picture taken with him - very nice man.  He's enthusiastic about his team, isn't insulting of the opponent.  I've got an idea, let's get rid of the passionate fan?!!?  What's wrong with a little color?

dude, CTFO.  

Some fans like Ficker, some dislike him.

Potential recruits, some will like him but considering most elite high school wrestlers are borderline prima donnas anyway, I would say many would not like him and could hurt Maryland's recruiting.

Afterall, they do have a very accomplished head coach, have full funding and geographically are in a solid area.

You're nuts.  He has no affect on the athletes and they've backed him up.

Wrestling has no fans as it is and you're going to rip the most enthusiastic guy in the country??

So you have interviewed every athlete he has heckled? Not just UMD athletes, but all athletes? That must have kept you quite busy the past couple of decades. You do know he's been tossed from plenty of venues for his heckling, and this includes hoops, not just wrestling. 

And when I wrote he detracts from the athletes, I wrote that from a fan perspective. He draws eyeballs to him, and away from the wrestlers. That is the definition of "detracts from the athletes". He is worse than the guys who scream at golf balls to "GET IN THE HOLE" after a tour player hits their drive on a long par 4 hole. They scream to draw attention to themselves, and away from what the patrons paid to watch. That is the exact same thing Ficker does. 

I accept that he is a cool guy and very likely the nicest guy you'd want to meet in any other setting. Totally get that. That doesn't make the screaming any less annoying.

Edited by TBar1977

To me, he seems unstable.  Just my opinion.  I wouldn't want him near any of my kids. 

I think, from what I have read, he is actually not known to be a nice guy.   Can't believe everything you read though, especially from Wikipedia: 

In 1990, Ficker was publicly reprimanded by the Maryland Court of Appeals upon a finding that he had violated ethical rules prohibiting neglect, engaged in conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice, and lack of diligence.

In March, 1998, he was indefinitely suspended from the practice of law, with the right to reapply for admission after 120 days, arising from violations related to competence, diligence, fairness to opposing counsel and parties, supervising lawyers and conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice.

In August, 1998, he was privately reprimanded by the Maryland Attorney Grievance Commission for a violation related to competence.

In January, 2002, he was privately reprimanded by the Maryland Attorney Grievance Commission for a violation related to client communications.

Ficker was again indefinitely suspended from the practice of law in 2007. A dissenting judge in the latest suspension commented, "If disbarment is not warranted in this case for these types of issues, with a respondent with this history, it will never be warranted."

Ficker's law license was reinstated on December 8, 2008. Ficker became a real estate broker with his own company, Robin Realty, in 200

GIDIFULNKMHSXFQ.20141212022044.jpg

Nearly 3,000 fans is a great crowd at Maryland!

It is important to realize that the Xfinity Center's main arena, where the dual was held, holds 18k fans.  It is one of the largest on campus basketball arenas in the country. For comparison, the Bryce Jordan Center at Penn State and Carver-Hawkeye Arena at Iowa only hold 15k fans and Rec Hall, where nearly all PSU duals are held, is a third the size.

Maryland typically wrestles in the Pavilion which is inside the same building and adjacent to the arena.  I believe it only seats 1,100 fans.  The problem is that the Arena is too large and the Pavilion was too small.

Why should he have fans? I've been to many venues where he is in attendence...simply put, he's annoying and a distraction. I think I'd have less of a problem with him if his efforts to grab attention weren't so over the top.  It's one thing to yell encouragement ...and quite another to do this "hey, look at me, look at me" act the entire match. 

As I said, I was not a fan of his prior to sitting next to him at the WI/MD dual.  But, after seeing how much energy he brought to the meet I am a convert.  There was a buzz in the air, kids were coming up to him and getting in his face after each Badger win, and he brought a lot of fun to the event.  Last night I took my wife to watch the Badgers hammer Indiana.  She rarely attends wrestling events, but goes to other sporting events.  During the 1st match she was very surprised at how quiet and subdued everyone was.  She thought it was totally odd that there was absolutely no 'electricity' in the air and that you could have heard a pin drop.

To me, he seems unstable.  Just my opinion.  I wouldn't want him near any of my kids. 

I think, from what I have read, he is actually not known to be a nice guy.   Can't believe everything you read though, especially from Wikipedia: 

In 1990, Ficker was publicly reprimanded by the Maryland Court of Appeals upon a finding that he had violated ethical rules prohibiting neglect, engaged in conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice, and lack of diligence.

In March, 1998, he was indefinitely suspended from the practice of law, with the right to reapply for admission after 120 days, arising from violations related to competence, diligence, fairness to opposing counsel and parties, supervising lawyers and conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice.

In August, 1998, he was privately reprimanded by the Maryland Attorney Grievance Commission for a violation related to competence.

In January, 2002, he was privately reprimanded by the Maryland Attorney Grievance Commission for a violation related to client communications.

Ficker was again indefinitely suspended from the practice of law in 2007. A dissenting judge in the latest suspension commented, "If disbarment is not warranted in this case for these types of issues, with a respondent with this history, it will never be warranted."

Ficker's law license was reinstated on December 8, 2008. Ficker became a real estate broker with his own company, Robin Realty, in 200

I know nothing about his practice but find it tnteresting all those things say private reprimand and none of them cite their sources. 

You're making me nervous.  Dupont comparisons and Wikipedia stalking of his law career.  Yikes.

So you have interviewed every athlete he has heckled? Not just UMD athletes, but all athletes? That must have kept you quite busy the past couple of decades. You do know he's been tossed from plenty of venues for his heckling, and this includes hoops, not just wrestling. 

And when I wrote he detracts from the athletes, I wrote that from a fan perspective. He draws eyeballs to him, and away from the wrestlers. That is the definition of "detracts from the athletes". He is worse than the guys who scream at golf balls to "GET IN THE HOLE" after a tour player hits their drive on a long par 4 hole. They scream to draw attention to themselves, and away from what the patrons paid to watch. That is the exact same thing Ficker does. 

I accept that he is a cool guy and very likely the nicest guy you'd want to meet in any other setting. Totally get that. That doesn't make the screaming any less annoying.

Whatever dude. Run him out of the sport.  I've been at Nationals with the guy in the stands and he is nothing more than the occasional laugh.  I'd take him any day over the random crazy guy yelling moves from the top tier.

The whole PSU crowd booed Bubba Jenkins in Philly but no one was worried about his feelings as an athlete.

Hypocritical joke.

This comes up almost every year.  Ficker loves the attention.  Next thing, someone will be posting pictures of his cute daughter.  Whatever.  

My opinion is he is bad for the sport.  Outsiders tend to think we're troglodytes already.  It's just my opinion.  I stated why I think he is unstable and cited a single wiki entry to highlight one view of his "troubled" history.  Not exactly stalking.  Not sure why you need to attack me to make your point.  There's always factual counterpoint. 

He comes across as an attention starved nut bag.  He's clearly there to steal as much focus from the actual event, to himself, as possible.

A hole.  If I were near him I'd tell him to shut the F up, or have him removed.

^^UMD had very nice production last evening, including pre-match tribute to Kerry McCoy re his induction into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.  UMD's Xfinity Center seats about 18,000; thus, with the crowd of about 2700 last night, various camera shots are going to pick up alot of empty seats in the Terps' cavernous arena.

Biggest dual-meet crowds for Maryland home duals were back in the early 1960's when Sully Krouse coached there and was an excellent promoter.  We had Iowa State and the Oklahoma Sooners at home in the old 12k-seat Cole Field House and drew about 7500 for the one meet and about 6000 for the other.  I've been following Terp wrestling about 55 years and those two early 1960's dual meets were by far the largest UMD dual-meet crowds ever for the Terps.

Edited by Stove_Pipe

He comes across as an attention starved nut bag.  He's clearly there to steal as much focus from the actual event, to himself, as possible.

A hole.  If I were near him I'd tell him to shut the F up, or have him removed.

I'm surprised an ardent wrestling fan like yourself hasn't been near him.  He attends all events Maryland competes in.  I hope you go to Nationals this year and sit next to him.  I can't wait to see you have him bounced.

This comes up almost every year.  Ficker loves the attention.  Next thing, someone will be posting pictures of his cute daughter.  Whatever.  

My opinion is he is bad for the sport.  Outsiders tend to think we're troglodytes already.  It's just my opinion.  I stated why I think he is unstable and cited a single wiki entry to highlight one view of his "troubled" history.  Not exactly stalking.  Not sure why you need to attack me to make your point.  There's always factual counterpoint. 

Factual Counterpoint:

I've been at multiple events with the guy.

He cheers on Maryland Wrestlers.

He doesn't heckle other kid's from other teams.

A lawyer's "troubled" history....an oxymoron in itself.

"Coach Sanderson told you to go out there and lay on him"

Now what the heck is wrong with that. Anyone notice any of the PSU coaches/fans with smiles?

I did.

He is probably okay for wrestling. I see no harm. One of our play by play guys stated that "the guy

travels all over, in order to back their wrestling program". Any of you hear that ?

Yeah, the Ficker dude might be loud……yet sometimes even………downright funny.

You're nuts.  He has no affect on the athletes and they've backed him up.

Wrestling has no fans as it is and you're going to rip the most enthusiastic guy in the country??

Honestly, your ridiculous on this point.

I like Ficker too...he's loud and obnoxious, and a true Terp loyalist...all wrestling programs could use more like him.