Sign in to follow this  
MatWrestlingNeophyte

Youth Olympics 2014 In Nanjing Wrestling Men's Freestyle Finals

Guys, anyone who views my profile knows that I am completely new to the world of Amateur Wrestling at all levels. Normally, I try and understand the more technical aspects of a new sport or interest before diving right in. However, I felt an excitement about taking this journey and so I decided that my education in this would be more on the auditory-visual level. I am watching the Wrestling Men's Freestyle Finals and am blown away by the performances of these fine athletes. In particular, Russia, Tunisia, and Turkmenistan's representatives absolutely floored me with their dominance. On top of that, I feel like I am genuinely learning while watching thanks to commentary. This is what I have learned so far:

Technical Superiority- A form of victory that is attained when one wrestler has a ten point gap over another.

Take downs are worth two points

Throws are worth four points (Specifically, points are awarded if you can successfully get a wrestler on their back.)

I know the commentator also said how much reversals and pin attempts were worth but I cannot recollect the correct valuation. I believe they are worth one and three points respectively but someone correct me if I am wrong.

Overall, I am loving every second of this and am eager to return to this when I submit my post. I have to say my favorite bouts from the ones I watched were from Russia and Tunisia respectively.Can't wait to watch more video as I feel this is the best and most entertaining way to learn.