Sign in to follow this  
smitty11

H. Stieber?

Why would they wrestle him tonight against the best wrestler in the country? Why not bring him in against a lesser opponent or an open tournament?  I realize Tsirtsis won it last year but Houdashelt was number 1 all last year, this makes no sense.  I am sure Hunter will be fine but he did not look like like he was 100% and even if he was he was probably not beating Houdashelt.

I give Hunter a lot of credit for going out there. Maybe he made the call for himself.

Give. Me. A. Break. You make it sound like he rose from his deathbed or something. I guarantee you Hunter thought he was ready. Tom Ryan thought he was ready, lord knows he doesn't need much reason to sit his wrestlers. Problem is, he ran into a legit 149lb stud. What has Hunter done at 149?

Hunter won the Pan Am Games this summer at 154.5 so I don't think competing at 149 is a problem.  I do think getting back into match shape is an issue and that Hunter badly needed to wrestle in an open or two (CSU was the day before the dual) to shake off the rust.  Bottom line--Houdashelt was ready.  

Give. Me. A. Break. You make it sound like he rose from his deathbed or something. I guarantee you Hunter thought he was ready. Tom Ryan thought he was ready, lord knows he doesn't need much reason to sit his wrestlers. Problem is, he ran into a legit 149lb stud. What has Hunter done at 149?

Easy there, I give Hunter a lot of credit for going out there as well whether he was ready or not. Facing possibly the top guy at 149 is a tall order for some ones first match back from injury and a lot of guys would have held off on coming back until the next meet. Instead Hunter geared up and told the coaches he was ready to go (unless they forced him to go out there). No harm in giving a guy credit for that.

Every year people fight through injuries and struggle because of it...Matt Mcdonough ring a bell?  How about Kish, Letters, and many others (Last year, Logan dealt with an injury and had difficulty getting up from off bottom in a couple matches).  Nobody is denying that  Houdashelt is a great wrestler...It's just anybody with eyes could tell Hunter Stieber wasn't close to 100% in that match.  That doesn't necessarily mean Ryan made the wrong choice to send him out there...It just will obviously take some time before he is close to where he needs to be (if he gets there at all). 

I wrote that with total respect for Wowdashelt, too bad you missed that in your zeal to knock Streebler. 

Truth be told, I have all the respect in the world for Stieber.  It just seemed like the apologists were out in full force after he got spanked.  I'm sure after he knocks the rust off, Hunter will be right there in March.  

Fun fact, Mizzou is 4-0 against tOSU in Columbus.

Truth be told, I have all the respect in the world for Stieber.  It just seemed like the apologists were out in full force after he got spanked.  I'm sure after he knocks the rust off, Hunter will be right there in March.  

Fun fact, Mizzou is 4-0 against tOSU in Columbus.

OK. That's solid. 

Every year people fight through injuries and struggle because of it...Matt Mcdonough ring a bell?  How about Kish, Letters, and many others (Last year, Logan dealt with an injury and had difficulty getting up from off bottom in a couple matches).  Nobody is denying that  Houdashelt is a great wrestler...It's just anybody with eyes could tell Hunter Stieber wasn't close to 100% in that match.  That doesn't necessarily mean Ryan made the wrong choice to send him out there...It just will obviously take some time before he is close to where he needs to be (if he gets there at all). 

There was an epidemic of that injury among guys who wrestled Retherford last year. 

There was an epidemic of that injury among guys who wrestled Retherford last year. 

That's funny.  Sometimes you have to just give these kids credit.  He pinned him with a cross face cradle in 2:39.  If it happened at the end of the match, I might say he ran out of gas but 2:39?  Houdashelt's a stud.

Yea Hunter wasnt ready for what Houdat was bringin, thats for sure. Dude is good, possibly the best 149 right now. As stated before, Hunter was pinned by Henderson, went on to beat defending undefeated NCAA champ Russell and became an AA all in the same season. Would like to think he will rebound and be ready to be a contender in March, time will tell but im not too worried about it.

Where did Hunter place at NCAA's in his first 2 seasons? He must have wrestled as a true frosh since his RS year was last year, and he's a RS-Jr. this year. If I recall, wasn't he the #1 seed at 141 in his soph season?

Logan beat Jordan Oliver for his 1st title (133).

I think he beat Tony Ramos for title #2 (133).

He beat Devin Carter for title #3 (141).

Edited by ludwigdmd

Where did Hunter place at NCAA's in his first 2 seasons? He must have wrestled as a true frosh since his RS year was last year, and he's a RS-Jr. this year. If I recall, wasn't he the #1 seed at 141 in his soph season?

Logan beat Jordan Oliver for his 1st title (133).

I think he beat Tony Ramos for title #2 (133).

He beat Devin Carter for title #3 (141).

thats right Hunter was #1 before he got upset by Mitchell Port in semifinal and finished third. Hunter finished sixth in NCAAs during freshman year. He was the only one who beat Russell of Michigan who went on to win the NCAAs that time.

Yea Hunter wasnt ready for what Houdat was bringin, thats for sure. Dude is good, possibly the best 149 right now. As stated before, Hunter was pinned by Henderson, went on to beat defending undefeated NCAA champ Russell and became an AA all in the same season. Would like to think he will rebound and be ready to be a contender in March, time will tell but im not too worried about it.

I am sort of worried about it. I hope the rumors and other innuendo that I'm seeing have no basis in fact. But......

Did Maple beat Montell Marion in the other semi-final in 2012-13? Then Steiber must have beaten Marion for 3rd?

No,  Maple geat Ugi (Citadel) who then placed 4th behind Hunter.

Montell's last season was 2011/12

Edited by piggy

No, Maple geat Ugi (Citadel) who then placed 4th behind Hunter.

Montell's last season was 2011/12

That's right! So if memory serves, didn't Maple and Marion meet in NCAA's in 2011-12? And wasn't that the year Dake won at 141 as a freshmen?

Let's see ....

Dake beat Marion in 2009-10 for Title #1 (141).

Dake beat Molinaro in 2010-11 for #2 (149).

Dake beat St. John in 2011-12 for #3 (157).

Dake beat Taylor in 2012-13 for #4 (165).

Alright, I still don't have my facts right. Can't even remember who Taylor best last year for his title.

Taylor lost to Jenkins (2010-11) - 157

Taylor beat Brandon Hatchett (2011-12) - 165

Taylor lost to Dake (2012-13) - 165

Taylor beat ??? (2013-14) - 165

Dake's accomplishments are even more impressive when you consider the caliber of guys he beat.

Marion wasn't an all-time great or anything, but he was a tough guy and a 2 time finalist.  Molinaro? 4 time AA and won a title the year after he lost to Dake.  Derek St. John?  4 time AA that won a title the year after he lost to Dake.  Taylor?  4 Time AA, arguably an all time great, and won a title and the hodge the year after Dake beat him for a title

No cakewalks in that lineup