Sign in to follow this  
Alwayswrestling

How big of a upset was Marinelli win over Manville?

A little bit of a surprise to some. imo- Manville was ranked higher for his off season record.

That happens to a lot of people. Fargo, IMO, gets too much weight in the rankings. Not that it isn't a tough tournament or that the kids who do well aren't great wrestlers but rankers do tend to go by the last big tournament when they do their pre-season rankings.

I think Cadet World Champ has a lot to do with his ranking as well, not just Fargo, which he won just a few days after worlds. His resume even before getting to Blair was pretty impressive too, if memory serves.

Should be a great rematch in the dual!

I wasn't speaking specifically about Manville but just the rankings system in general.

By the time October rolls around the most recent results are almost exclusively freestyle and they are several months old. The folkstyle results from the spring are seemingly long forgotten and in my opinion the rankings are skewed because of this.

It is not as obvious when discussing the top wrestlers since they generally have a large resume but when you get to the mid-level kids and those at the back of the rankings it is more prevalent. I understand it can be very difficult to keep up with all the high school wrestling action and some clubs, families, and teams have more money to travel with but it is a flaw in the current system which is never discussed.

I'll probably get called a retard for this but Manville is intensely boring to watch because of what makes him good - his defense. He's just a very sound defensive and very sound positional wrestler but his offense is meh. I feel like the only thing I see him do is front headlock go behind after countering a shot. 

I'll probably get called a retard for this but Manville is intensely boring to watch because of what makes him good - his defense. He's just a very sound defensive and very sound positional wrestler but his offense is meh. I feel like the only thing I see him do is front headlock go behind after countering a shot. 

No reason to call you anything other than astute because you described Manville very well. I think even he understands he needs more offense, and he chose the perfect place to go to college to learn that offense. Sanderson, Taylor, Ruth and the rest can really help him improve his offensive skillset.